Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am getting blinded so tried to adjust mine - I have one with a clear plastic 'dome' below the mirror as per second pic. I can't move the knob at all!!!:eek:
Any ideas?
Cheers:)
Yep, my smooth useless knob is the same, very, very tight and I had to get a damp rag for grip to initially move it several times before it can be moved by hand and still it is extremely stiff to turn. :mad:

Why they didn't just do what every other manufacturer does and fit a small lever which easily moves from normal to dip "at the flick of a switch"
So much for fancy design, some nerd who has never driven a car probably thought of that idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the self dimming mirrors.

They use a photo cell to adjust the mirror automatically.

The mirrors you are describing are the MANUAL anti dazzle mirrors.

Hope you get the problem sorted out, I would go back to the dealer.

Regards

Andy

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding the problem here, but it looks like you are attempting to adjust the automatic mirror by wrenching on the photocell?

Not seeing why the automatic dimmer would have a manual adjustment.

I would go to the dealer and have them explain it to you. You probably don't want to apply so much force that you break the photocell off and have to buy an expen$ive replacement...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the automatic dimming rear view mirror and thought that it dims as needed automatically. At least that's how mine works. Haven't had the need to adjust manually.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding the problem here, but it looks like you are attempting to adjust the automatic mirror by wrenching on the photocell?

Not seeing why the automatic dimmer would have a manual adjustment.

I would go to the dealer and have them explain it to you. You probably don't want to apply so much force that you break the photocell off and have to buy an expen$ive replacement...
No, the mirror in question is the manual adjustment spec with the clear smooth knob that will with a lot of effort turn through 45 degrees and dim the mirror.
It is the fact that the clear knob is smooth and tapered that prevents a grip being applied to turn it, so in my opinion it's a useless design feature that's gone one step beyond sensible.:mad:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, the mirror in question is the manual adjustment spec with the clear smooth knob that will with a lot of effort turn through 45 degrees and dim the mirror.
It is the fact that the clear knob is smooth and tapered that prevents a grip being applied to turn it, so in my opinion it's a useless design feature that's gone one step beyond sensible.:mad:
This for the help folks... Just double checked - the white dome seems to be for the 'alarm armed' light ( does it double up as a manual mirror adjuster as per my original pictures? ) but never mind - I DO have the photocells for auto dimming - But hey - I DO MIND - its just they don't seem to dim a lot, especially with an idiot behind me with extra strong headlights driving in my boot!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Okay, I see what you mean. Looked at the manual; I agree, what a dorky design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I have a 2017 MCS and I have the manual rear view mirror and it just has a flick toggle type of adjuster, looks like they updated the design since...

This is the one feature that I really miss out of my old car, the auto dim rearview. Does anyone know if you can swap the manual one out for the automatic dim? Or is it something I could get Mini Service to do?

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts