Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
They look good but are probs overkill for the F56, nice though. I did wonder if anyone would do anything for the rear, but considering they dont it suggests the stopping power wouldnt be much more than the JCW kit.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They look good but are probs overkill for the F56, nice though. I did wonder if anyone would do anything for the rear, but considering they dont it suggests the stopping power wouldnt be much more than the JCW kit.
Not sure if I'm understanding this right but doesn't the below state that they are quite a bit more powerful?

"In practice this equates to 1802kg of braking force per side (front), a significant improvement over the 1424kg mustered by the factory setup."

The thing perhaps of greater significance is that the discs are 4.8kg lighter and calipers another 1.1kg lighter which is lighter near 6kg of unsprung weight!

I guess it's for those who want ultimate performance at a cost

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thing is with brakes, if you have enough force to lock up your wheels then it wont matter past that point, and im sure the JCW brakes can do that. So even if it does have more force I doubt in the real world they would be any better. If you get my drift. They do look good though and having large discs to fill the wheels would be nice.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Be nice to have a picture of the kit on the bench
Esp the discs
Be suprised it fits all 18" rims, as et54 is a challenge

I'm thinking 2 part discs for the Jcw setup would be best bang for buck

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have found the Bembro brakes on the JCW to be more than adequate and I have noticed noticed any fade during track use or on mountain twisty events. The GP has the 6 piston version for a more dedicated track car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I absolutely ~loved~ the JCW brakes (and pads!) on the Dragon last fall: http://tinyurl.com/grh6xol

After flushing with some Motul, they didn't fade, squeak, or excessively dust one stinking bit over the entire trip. I freaking loved them and was pleasantly surprised with the OEM brake pads. I would not have changed a thing with the brake setup. And I agree, if they are powerful enough to lock them up, you don't need any more powerful calipers, in fact I would wonder if you'd have problems with F/R bias and pedal feel?

Plus, if these aftermarket calipers & rotors are lighter, that is great for sprung weight, but... you have less mass now for absorbing heat from the pads, right?

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
Thing is with brakes, if you have enough force to lock up your wheels then it wont matter past that point, and im sure the JCW brakes can do that. So even if it does have more force I doubt in the real world they would be any better. If you get my drift. They do look good though and having large discs to fill the wheels would be nice.
See your point and i was tempted to think the same BUT weight savings and fade are also factors. I am with all you guys here,really nice but too expensive but if you're a serious trackday fan and if (don't know as i don't do track days or get close on the road even in our s)you experience fade then these might be a money no object upgrade. HOWEVERif you're chucking this sort of money at a road car to track then you might argue you'd be better with a challenge or dedicated track car eg a caterham or bac etc etc!

Looknice but then jcw callipers look v nice too!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well, there might be an advantage with regard to the ability of the brake system to shed heat, overall lightness, and structural stiffness. But your point is well taken If you aren't driving a race car all you need are brakes that will lock up the wheels if needed.The stock brakes will do that quite effectively. If you are driving a race car then you will want to spend the extra money to handle the extreme conditions. Driving to the local supermarket is not an extreme case, at least where I live.

But having said that, so what? Brakes are a thing you can mod in these cars. Go for it!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can lock brakes with any brakes on any car...

The feel of the brake pedal is what I look for in a good brakes where you can modulate braking force easily at any speed and have confidence in how much you can control the braking force when you need it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
blast from the past Guys :D

Yeah im not dissing them Im a massive fan of big brakes even if its just asthetics, larger brakes will help with cooling and being able to pound on them more before fade etc kicks in (assuming there is adequate place for the heat to go in the wheel arch). And as you have said potentially less unsprung weight which is nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.