Mini Cooper Forum banner

Service intervals on Australian models.

26095 Views 52 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  AarnMunro
Hi guys,

Picking up our F55 Cooper on Wednesday, I've noticed BMW is specifying 30k or 24mths between oil changes. Can anyone tell me what brand and spec of oil BMW uses and when did service intervals jump from 10-15k out to 30k.

Does anyone else have concerns about the extended time between oil changes or am I over thinking things? I've never owned a car where the manufacturer specifies 2 years, to me that seems such a long time.
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Incidentally Peugeot citroen use the same 1.6 engine as the r56 had and they have fewer issues . Due to more sensible service regime I wonder.??
That's an interesting point Jeremy. A different engine, but from new our R50 has had the oil changed every 5,000 miles and all other maintenance done early and she's never given us a bit of trouble. When the oil pan gasket was replaced last year, the tech said it was one of the cleanest he had seen. It looks like the valve cover is starting to seep so I'll get that done soon. I'm curious to see what it will look like.
I think your service regime very sensible. Considering how little an oil change is I really think there's a good argument for doing it that regularly. Long life oil additives and synthetic oil do last in theory but whatever they say as combustion soots contaminate it the oil viscosity changes.
I just had my f55 in for the one year (from manufacture, not delivery) service.

It was very surprising that this was a visual inspection only, no fluids are changed.
The service advisor stated that oil changes are at two years, brake fluid at three and transmission oil is never changed!

I suggested that by doing it this way the cars are setup for failure and expressed my displeasure.

The engine oil and filter was changed by myself at 3000km (run in period) and it looks like I will continue to change oil myself between intervals.
Mini and bmw offer service plans at time of purchase, I guess this saves them a lot of money.

I simply don't believe there have been revolutionary developments in internal combustion engines, transmissions, and lubricants that warrant such extended maintenance schedules.

For what it's worth, my Toyota has a 6 month/10,000km service schedule, engine oil changed at each service and fixed price for the first 3 years.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
I had ours changed after 2,000 miles, but had to pay for the overpriced service at the mini dealership. It looked, smelled, and felt OK, buy I do espouse the old adage, trust but verify. I will probably change it again after the MOTD regardless of mileage. If mini won't cover it as a part of the package I will take it to a BMW service shop nearby as it is less costly. I am a fan of Mobil 1.
Me too kit and like you my Dan I like Mobil one and although not the recommended spec may move to it in our minis instead of5 w 30. Mini also say coolant is for life and that definitely can't be right.
I received 5 liters of 5w-30 Mobil1 last week!
Now my F54 S has only 3000km, but before reaching the 10000 km I will ask my mechanic to change it without touching the filter.
Why do you assume 0w-40 can be preferred to 5w-30? I have seen in the specif.that the fire temp. in 5w-30 is higher than in the 0w-40 and in a turbo engine this can be an advantage.
Tell me your opinion, please.
Very true , just feel the bigger range covers a better variety of climates but i have 5 w 30 at the moment; didnt even think to look at the mobil 1 spec s for the 0w 40! Oil is very tricky these days! May well stick to 5 30 then!
I suppose that 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 and 5w-40 will vary in a +-5% the behaviour and the life of the engine...depending on riding style of each driver...depending on the lenght of time between the services...depending on the climate (...that drives the usage of the radiator fan!)...but is so beautiful to be sure to have selected the right lubricant!:cool:
For the aussie owners - where do you buy your filters from?

Do you go to your local mini service department and buy that or do you source them from another location?

I do believe that oils are designed to last longer these days but I still have that doubt in my mind. I would like to do a 10k service myself and just physically see how the oil is then base my future schedules on that.

For warranty, I will need to buy OEM filters for my intermediate services so when my mini dealership services the car, they will not pull a fast one on me.
For the aussie owners - where do you buy your filters from?

Do you go to your local mini service department and buy that or do you source them from another location?

I do believe that oils are designed to last longer these days but I still have that doubt in my mind. I would like to do a 10k service myself and just physically see how the oil is then base my future schedules on that.

For warranty, I will need to buy OEM filters for my intermediate services so when my mini dealership services the car, they will not pull a fast one on me.
I got mine from Mini/BMW directly. It's a cartridge insert and expensive (From memory around $30).

When you do change the oil, the car takes around 4.25L....
The electronic dipstick is a pain to use, and in cars without the "professional navigation system" you can easily be mislead into thinking the oil level is low.
So if you do only have the standard unit, Full is at the line approximately 3/4 up the scale.
Very true , just feel the bigger range covers a better variety of climates but i have 5 w 30 at the moment; didnt even think to look at the mobil 1 spec s for the 0w 40! Oil is very tricky these days! May well stick to 5 30 then!

I think running 0W40 won't result in any significant difference in our cars.

The 0W40 will be a little thicker at operating temperature, the theory behind this is that a higher viscosity oil won't run as quickly and hence stick to the cylinder walls for a longer period of time to provide better lubrication in highly stressed situations.

Some cars that experience oil burning (for example high mileage engines) can benefit with higher viscosity and it can reduce the amount of oil consumption.

You will lose a small amount of power running higher viscosity oil... but in this case, the difference would be miniscule.
Thanks Kit
$30 I suppose seems about right but for what it actually is, is still pretty expensive.
For 95% of Australian users, 5W30 is well and truly sufficient. if you live in the desert where the temp go from minus? to + 45Deg then 0W40 would be more beneficial.

My old man use to own Fuchs Oil in Queensland (called Omex oil back in the days). He blended many types of high performance, commercial and industrial oils in his time and knows allot about this subject. Even assisted the odd racing team in blending just the right mix for their particular means.

Oil additives have changed and improved since then but the philosophy is still the same.
Gentlemen!
I have a question:
how many liters of oil are in the F54 Cooper S engine (the B48 !) changing the oil filter and without changing the filter?

Very kind of you!
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.