Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a level 2 on order, and after having bmw/MB service packs in the past thought it would be worth having a look at what the EV Mini service offers.
From what I can see, there are x3 options with the basic starting at £10pm.
An ICE would be £30pm+
After asking the dealer how much a EV service would cost, it seems a pack of any sort would be better?
Am I missing something?
Is the service pack worth it or are the dealers trying to scare me into it?
This will be our 1st electric car so not sure what servicing costs should be?
Any thoughts/experience welcome!

·
Registered
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
307 Posts
I think that £10 a month is reasonable if you make use of the seasonal checks, washes, fluid top ups, map updates, one MOT as well as the actual services. The first service for the Mini EV is after 2 years for basically a visual check and brake fluid replacement. So you would have paid £240 in. A brake fluid service is at most around £70, so it does look expensive.

·
Super Moderator
7,236 Posts
As Parky said, no. We had our fingers burnt with our petrol minis. It isn't value at all imo. The car needs a service every two years and it's checks and brake fluid essentially .Even if it's£200and we were told£150 the maths don't make it value.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it is just the reassurance that the service is covered and dont have any nasty surprises when it comes to cost in one go....

Is it conditional service or annual/per mile? I took out service packs previously with other manufacturers as it seemed that there was always some sort of service due, breaks, fluids, type A, type B etc.... and would soon rack up £££.

Would the map updates be etc be worth it (I think they said £60?) as in do they update all the new charging points that have been installed etc? I was thinking that android auto/car play would be used more often so would not really need this? And I know there are other charge maps available if really stuck.
Again, I am new to this so dont know what I need to know yet 🙂

This will be our second car so wont be doing many miles in it, which is why we thought it ideal to dip our toe in the EV market while keeping an ICE just in case it doesn't work out (it also reasures the Mrs until we have some EV experience behind us before going all EV). This is supposed to be her new car but I think I am more excited about it than she is!

·
Super Moderator
7,236 Posts
Our EVs are on the net and update charging points themselves don't they? Maps are available online from various sources for the other minis for free or next to nothing-we won't be taking out the service pack! I wasted far too much on petrol minis on them .

·
Registered
673 Posts
Service packs are just a way of keeping owners in the main dealer network. You can bet your bottom dollar that they'll use the opportunity to adopt their best poker face and highlight other "essential" replacements or repairs required "Sir", even though there may actually be thousands of miles of life still in the component.
Whilst I know that at least in the UK finding an independent willing and able to service the bespoke EV components will be very difficult at this stage in the leccie transition (tbh I don't know what part (if any) of the EV drivetrain requires maintenance), a reputable BMW/MINI indie will be able to service the the other oily bits. My last brake fluid service at a highly regarded independent cost me exactly half the amount I'd have paid at a main dealer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We have a level 2 on order, and after having bmw/MB service packs in the past thought it would be worth having a look at what the EV Mini service offers.
From what I can see, there are x3 options with the basic starting at £10pm.
An ICE would be £30pm+
After asking the dealer how much a EV service would cost, it seems a pack of any sort would be better?
Am I missing something?
Is the service pack worth it or are the dealers trying to scare me into it?
This will be our 1st electric car so not sure what servicing costs should be?
Any thoughts/experience welcome!
My thoughts exactly, I've just been thinking the same thoughts as you. We collect our Mini EV on March 1st and I'm going to talk to them tomorrow about service/inspection etc. I would have thought that automatic online map updates etc would be included for the first 3 years the same as with any new BMW? You can then renew the auto updates annually?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You can do the NAV updates yourself, for nothing, plenty of advice on here. Download the files, extract to USB drive and plug into your MINI. The hardest thing is finding the source of the files, but people post them here from time to time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can do the NAV updates yourself, for nothing, plenty of advice on here. Download the files, extract to USB drive and plug into your MINI. The hardest thing is finding the source of the files, but people post them here from time to time.
So do you not get 3 years automatic updates like BMW?

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
103 Posts
@Stuts11
How did you get on with sat nav/map updates?
When I looked on the BMW site my maps were up to date.

I've had two updates come down automatically since getting the car, from what I can tell these were POI updates as a couple of new local charge points appeared. Although it doesn't specify any details so could also be GPS positional updates. It's my first Mini/BMW so others on the forum may have more insight on what these are.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
103 Posts
@Parky14
SWTSMBO has just asked if she could get in the car and drive it away without unplugging the charger! That's a very good point as I've got form for doing the very same when the CTEK is plugged in but keep that under your hat! ;););)
Hopefully, as the charge flap is right by the driver's door it'll be an easy one to spot ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wondered if it was interlocked so it wouldn't go without the plug being pulled out? If not we're going to need a notice on the steering wheel saying "Unplug it you muppet!"

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
103 Posts
I wondered if it was interlocked so it wouldn't go without the plug being pulled out? If not we're going to need a notice on the steering wheel saying "Unplug it you muppet!"
Not quite "Unplug it you muppet" 😂

If you switch the ignition on you get a continuous beeping with the battery percentage where the speed is displayed, and a warning that the ignition is on. Can't say I tried selecting drive but I suspect it may not let you. The bright yellow display of the battery state and constant alarm should be a good indicator that somethings not right!!

There are quite a few instances where it switches the ignition off. e.g. if you open the driver's door it will go to standby.

Hopefully, it won't be a problem 🤞

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
103 Posts
One of the big points the dealer made when I was buying mine was the reduced running costs which included servicing. If it cost more than £240 to take four wheels off, check the brakes (that don't get the use of an ICE car), change the brake fluid and give it a once-over inspection I'll certainly be asking how they justify it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not quite "Unplug it you muppet" 😂

If you switch the ignition on you get a continuous beeping with the battery percentage where the speed is displayed, and a warning that the ignition is on. Can't say I tried selecting drive but I suspect it may not let you. The bright yellow display of the battery state and constant alarm should be a good indicator that somethings not right!!

There are quite a few instances where it switches the ignition off. e.g. if you open the driver's door it will go to standby.

Hopefully, it won't be a problem 🤞
Let's hope so, as I said I've got form :(:(:(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts