Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering how the servicing works with the new minis on a finance deal?

I've had to do a load of miles recently for work so it's bumping my mileage up quite a bit, so I'll probably end up being a few thousand over my agreed mileage after the first year. In the subsequent years it should average back out, just a few anomalies with my job at the moment.

My question is, how does this affect the servicing? I've got the tlc pack which I believe covers for 3 years servicing. Will they be a bit funny if the service interval warning comes on way before it should do? E.g I've got 12,000 miles a year as my deal, but it's more likely to do around 17 this year, which would activate the service interval. Does this matter? Or do the service department not care about the finance? If that makes sense?

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you're doing loads more miles, the chances are the servicing requirement won't go up much. With Condition Based Servicing, the ECU works out servicing requirements and loads of miles probably means more long journeys, which cause less wear and tear and demand less servicing. My second generation cars always do over 20,000 miles between oil changes, because they don't do short journeys. Five miles to work from a cold start is not gentle driving, as some people think, but car abuse.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
As per angib BUT No the finance is irrelevant but if you read the small print the tlc pack gives you 5 years service but only two oil changes one brake fluid and one plugs and filters.. therefore after that you have to pay .this is all from memory so you'll need to check I'm right but it's something like that. Therefore on my r56 I paid for an extra brake fluid change as it was every two years for that car.since changed to three I think.With this sort of mileage you may need to pay for extra oil changes but as angib says bigger miles is better for oil life ie long runs at warm.so you might not. The computer will tell. It's quite clear in the small print if you have a read and imo very good value.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The TLC rules have changed for the 3rd generation. Before the TLC package items were laid out as to what was included and you had to get the work done +/- 1000 miles to be done as part of the TLC which meant that the first big service came in just over the 50000 miles. It was still cheaper to then opt for the TLCXL for the next 30000 miles than pay out for the one service. Now on the 3rd generation you are covered for all the service requirements up to 50000 miles/5years. The tolerance has gone up to +/- 3000 miles, so in theory you can get a third oil change in before the 50000 mile mark. I had my first scheduled oil change done 2950 mile before the car said it was due. I do high mileage so also pay for oil changes between the scheduled ones, I provide the oil for the change so the cost is only a filter and labour and the service counter is not zeroed.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Aha I'd better read my new small print. Sounds good!thank you j

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. So no one will moan about me doing extra miles? I take it I just arrange the relevant service whenever the interval on the car says? What I'm worried about is that someone will say 'well you've clearly done loads more miles than your agreed plan, as the 'x' thousand service shouldn't have been needed until your 2nd year'.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
The finance thing makes you pay perr mile after an agreed max if that's what you mean?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm aware of that. Just wondered if it would get picked up on at a service? Or if it only counts at the end of the agreement?

·
Registered
844 Posts
The TLC rules have changed for the 3rd generation. Before the TLC package items were laid out as to what was included and you had to get the work done +/- 1000 miles to be done as part of the TLC which meant that the first big service came in just over the 50000 miles. It was still cheaper to then opt for the TLCXL for the next 30000 miles than pay out for the one service. Now on the 3rd generation you are covered for all the service requirements up to 50000 miles/5years. The tolerance has gone up to +/- 3000 miles, so in theory you can get a third oil change in before the 50000 mile mark. I had my first scheduled oil change done 2950 mile before the car said it was due. I do high mileage so also pay for oil changes between the scheduled ones, I provide the oil for the change so the cost is only a filter and labour and the service counter is not zeroed.
Really? I must investigate, even though I am unlikely to have my car that long.
My car is showing first service at about 23k miles - it won't need a third service prior to 50k miles anyway.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yeah I'm aware of that. Just wondered if it would get picked up on at a service? Or if it only counts at the end of the agreement?
I assume you service your car when your car recommends it? (i.e mine is still 6K miles/jun-16 (whatever is first))

So how would it matter when in the finance term that is .... for all the dealer knows you could garage your car up all winter and pile the miles on during the summer ... it is no business of theirs.

I think, therefore, excess mileage is only relevant at the end of the finance term.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I totally concur with Donna; it's the miles at the end of your agreement unless you end it early! Non of their business-bit like average spped cameras-they dont know if you do 100mph then stop for a while, or do a constant 60-you can do all the miles in a month and store the car for the rest of the finance period! still the same miles when you hand it in-anything over gets charged-but i bet under you dont get a refund!

Reactions: donnaj1dlh

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
That's what we're here for BristolMini :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts