Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just booked my mini jcw for its end of warranty check, oil service and MOT and I was told that it will cost over £650! Don’t even think that price included spark plugs as the car has only done 31k miles.

I usually service my own cars and I will want to do this from now on as the car will be out of warranty (using original parts).
The only issue i have , is how can I get the BMW/Mini database updated and the on board service schedule information updated in the Mini?

Can I pay bmw Mini to uodate it for me for a small fee if I show them receipts that I have used original parts?
I can’t be the only one who has had to address this.

·
Registered
296 Posts
BMW wont update the system for you if they don't fit the parts as they can't be 100% sure you actually fitted them. A receipt only shows you bought the items.
If you're doing future servicing yourself then keep all receipts for any future owner, as we don't have servic books anymore these should help to show you looked after your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having recently bought an approved used Mini Clubman, the computer has been wiped by the dealer. So it will only show any work done on TLC while I own it. I will do any non TLC work myself and keep receipts.
Search for "service check sheet" print and complete it, staple your invoices to it. Job done 👍😊

·
Registered
132 Posts
£650 seems very excessive for an oil service & MOT, £250 - £300 more like it with a microfilter. End of warranty check should be free. A few things to look at for the warranty check, front bumber black trim turning purple, gearknob markings rubbed off, rear side windows C pillar cloth seals protruding, door window seals rubbing on door frame and all recalls C/O.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
£650 seems very excessive for an oil service & MOT, £250 - £300 more like it with a microfilter. End of warranty check should be free. A few things to look at for the warranty check, front bumber black trim turning purple, gearknob markings rubbed off, rear side windows C pillar cloth seals protruding, door window seals rubbing on door frame and all recalls C/O.
I also thought it was very excessive. The breakdown is £54.85 for the MOT and £595.26 for the Full engine oil service.

I want to keep this car for as long as possible, its the only way it makes economical sense to me, so getting it serviced and looked after is important. Once the spring comes I will replace the gearbox oil myself (auto box), No engineer worth anything, will tell you that transmission oil is 'lifetime'

The end of warranty check is free, but I am not sure how thorough they will be? I am hoping they will do any outstanding recalls and update software that was applicable - engine, transmission, and media?.

I wonder if they will check everything with a fine toothcomb rather than just skim over things.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That’s eye-wateringly expensive!

My dealer told me they’ll check for common issues and find and fix anything mechanically wrong with the car on the end of warranty check. However, they said they’re not allowed to go looking for cosmetic issues, or fix any they notice, unless the customer has already mentioned them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That sounds excessive, is there another dealer you can try? I am lucky I live in the centre of 3 dealers. I know you have a JCW but I paid £299 for five years TLC servicing (sadly only 3 years these days).

·
Registered
734 Posts
£595.26 for the Full engine oil service.

I am hoping they will do any outstanding recalls and update software that was applicable - engine, transmission, and media?.

I wonder if they will check everything with a fine toothcomb rather than just skim over things.
That is a very excessive engine oil service price. Even with spark plugs it should be half that.

They will check for recalls, but they won't update your cars software.

They check obvious things they can claim back from BMW for, but its not a detailed check. Its just another excuse for them to tell you to change the brake pads/discs when they don't need doing. They only replaced my gear knob and corrected the b pillar seal rubbing issue because I reported it to them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The main MINI service site wasn’t loading for some reason but I was able to get onto it through my dealers website.

Same thing as we discussed a few weeks ago. Prices seem to differ based on whether the car is more than 3 years old. However, the price is still cheaper than you’re being quoted.

First screenshot is for a 2016 JCW and the second one is for a 2019......both with 35k.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The main MINI service site wasn’t loading for some reason but I was able to get onto it through my dealers website.

Same thing as we discussed a few weeks ago. Prices seem to differ based on whether the car is more than 3 years old. However, the price is still cheaper than you’re being quoted.

First screenshot is for a 2016 JCW and the second one is for a 2019......both with 35k.

View attachment 68572

View attachment 68573
Thanks all for your help and advice.

The pricing structure around the servicing of the Mini depends on the model and the dealer. As many of you have pointed out, prices vary considerably from dealer to dealer.

I will contact Sytners tomorrow and point all his out to them and see if they will lower their prices to match other dealers in the UK.

I don't mind paying a couple of quid more, but when the differences are in the £100's well that's a different story.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Go to the Sytners MINI website for your local dealer and hit the “Book a service” link. Plug your cars details in and see what it comes back with. Sytners Leicester just came back with £473.23 for the 19 plate JCW.

·
Super Moderator
6,593 Posts
You could also try the same with Sopers Lincoln-not mega miles away and seemed reasonable online when compared to others when I had ours serviced. The JCW needs brake fluid every 2 years not 3 btw-cost me an extra £90.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't forget to add £25 - £35 on top of the prices for the scope thingy - this is an extra charge for them to update your system to add the service details

1 - 15 of 15 Posts