Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you find it easy to slot into first gear from a standstill. The reason I ask is that on quite a few occasions especially when I'm in neutral at the traffic lights and need to make a hasty departure I find that I'm struggling to shift into first in my mcs. Its almost as if I have to consciously be very precise in putting it into first otherwise it won't slot in. In fact sometimes it partially engages and jumps back out to neutral which means I have to re-engage.

I've never had it jump out of first gear once i'm on the move as discussed in a previous thread but I'm just wandering whether a mini manual gearbox needs a very precise throw when shifting into first gear. By the way I've had manuals before and never encountered this

·
Registered
890 Posts
So far it seems to be only the Cooper S manual box that is having problems.

If it is the same manual box as the non S Cooper, perhaps it is not up to handling the extra torque that the S produces and damage is caused internally.
I don't know if it is the same box though.

The dealer must be informed as it will only get worse.

Could be a big problem for Mini to sort this one out globally, expense wise.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is a Cooper S I have and I haven't really seen any issues with the gearbox so far. I have noticed resistance with it going into lower gears only when theoretically the gear is too low for the speed, which I would assume to be a safety feature. I have driven the car both hard and soft and covered just over 2500 miles. As suggested before let your dealer take a look.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I do not think it's a gear box prob. More like the cheap thin plastic retainer ring that is at the base of the shifter. If you remove the shifter boot you'l see what I'm referring too. There is an aftermarket one available thru Cravenspeed.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I do not think it's a gear box prob. More like the cheap thin plastic retainer ring that is at the base of the shifter. If you remove the shifter boot you'l see what I'm referring too. There is an aftermarket one available thru Cravenspeed.
I hope that is the case, the days of inadequate design in relation to power handling must surely be over.
I have a very light buzz/rattle of my gear lever when accelerating in third, so hopefully that will be easily fixable if it too is due to something like the retaining ring.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Having done a bit of digging, I see that Mini in the US, is giving $100 gift vouchers for accessories to owners of Coopers and S models as a good will gesture for gear shifter problems.

Does that mean they are recalling them, or do you have to report a fault with the "shifter" first?

Not in the UK?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Having done a bit of digging, I see that Mini in the US, is giving $100 gift vouchers for accessories to owners of Coopers and S models as a good will gesture for gear shifter problems.

Does that mean they are recalling them, or do you have to report a fault with the "shifter" first?

Not in the UK?
I received my $100 gift card.. It was for the actual shift knob becoming separated during spirited driving ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,023 Posts
Sorry (my wife says I am very predictable!). glad to say nothing has fallen off my mini yet-cant say the same for my maxi !!!!!(remember them-my dad had one fantastic car really-years ahead of its time let down by Leyland as were) oops sorry this is very off topic and should be in banter thread-apologies!

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
890 Posts
I should be sorry for a silly post!
Yes, I remember the Maxi. It had the "O" series OHC engine transversely fitted if I remember correctly, and after all the trouble I had with my original 1963 Mini's CV joints, I didn't think it wise to put such a powerful (!) engine in a FWD car..how things have developed over the years!
End of off topic ramblings from my end. Apologies too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you find it easy to slot into first gear from a standstill. The reason I ask is that on quite a few occasions especially when I'm in neutral at the traffic lights and need to make a hasty departure I find that I'm struggling to shift into first in my mcs. Its almost as if I have to consciously be very precise in putting it into first otherwise it won't slot in. In fact sometimes it partially engages and jumps back out to neutral which means I have to re-engage.

I've never had it jump out of first gear once i'm on the move as discussed in a previous thread but I'm just wandering whether a mini manual gearbox needs a very precise throw when shifting into first gear. By the way I've had manuals before and never encountered this

I have had the same issue as you a couple of times again at traffic lights. Only 3 or 4 times in 6 months so. So not sure what it could be

·
Registered
890 Posts
As mentioned earlier in the thread by Mrdi, it can be common to have "baulking" ie difficulty in selection, going into first gear certainly from a cold start, in many cars.

The way round it is to go into second gear then move to first whenever the problem arises.

Should be a rare occurence though, but the MCS seems to have some problems with the manual box so if you have an MCS it could something to do with that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had the same problem for a couple of months with it occasionally not wanting to get into 1st gear from neutral. Also had it jump out of 1st gear when pulling off at traffic lights on a few occasions. its been a bit of a nightmare especially as i drive in and out of London every day.

Took it into the dealers today so get them to sort it out, they say they have already had one MCS back to them with a similar issue which required replacement parts.

Will find out more later

1 - 18 of 18 Posts