Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I begin I'm well aware metallic black cars are a nightmare for showing swirls and scratches, but I know how to clean a car properly so didn't think there would be a problem.

The Mini was ordered from new and the dealer asked not to clean it before collection. I did exactly the same when I ordered a new Focus ST in 2017 and other than the dirt from travelling through Germany and into the UK, the paintwork was immaculate and swirl free underneath as you would expect.

That was not the case with the Mini, the first time I saw the sun hit it I realised it was going to take me a full day with the DA polisher to sort out. I can only conclude this happened during the build. The 50/50 shows the state of the paint as it was sent to us (on the left) and the polished side on the right.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Window Motor vehicle

What sort of QC do Mini have in place for paintwork? I know it's not a Rolls Royce but I would expect much better from a brand new car, especially as Ford can manage it. I'd be interested to know if we were unlucky or if this is the norm.

Some finished photos once I'd sorted it all out, though the sun had gone by this point...

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

·
Registered
771 Posts
Definitely not the norm. MINI go to great lengths to ensure that the external finishes are as perfect as a mass-produced product can be and as anyone who has visited the plant will verify are very proud of their processes and protections applied. Yes MINI paint is thin, other than that on contrasting roofs which get extra, and is prone to stone chipping and rubbing, but I'd suggest that any swirls and scratches were incurred after the car left Cowley.
Very nice looking car btw (y)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting, the car was stored for a few weeks (it was built mid-Jan, collected March 1st), so perhaps someone gave it a wipe down during that period. I'm confident the dealer didn't wash it, the car had a fair amount of dust on it when we collected it.

Good to know anyway, as I have another Mini ordered for myself and don't fancy spending a day sorting that one out too 😂

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
As Volcanic says , th e cars leave the factory perfect. They are very proud of the ostrich feather dusting and paint finish which is very good imo and orange peel free. Your car has been washed en route at some point and did not leave the factory like that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All very interesting. If my JCW turns up like that I'll be sending it to a detailer and getting the dealer to pay for it, absolutely no excuse for a new car looking like that and even less excuse when I asked them not to touch it.

I actually don't know how they could have inflicted that much damage with one wash. They must have used a kitchen scourer.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Have had a few minis and BMWs and always ask them not to clean and do minimum prep. I have even at times got them with the protective film on. And paintwork usually pretty good…two of those have been metallic blacks! I also correct and ceramic coat them.

Latest Mini is white silver so doesn’t show marring and swirls like darker colours but this one appeared spot on. Did a light single stage correction mainly in prep for coating.

So, looks like probably the storage and what was done there

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can also add that my current Clubman was picked up (just over 2 years ago now) with most of the protection still on it. It was driven to a detailer to get coated and when asked the detailer told me there was only one spot on one of the doors that the factory had buffed to get of something that he had to really work on. So it must not have been that bad at all. So I would definitely say yours more than likely not the norm.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All these comments make it all the more strange, as the dealer I used have a very good reputation (and were faultless in every other department).

Maybe I just need to be more vocal about it not being touched next time, but I hate being the awkward customer (like the person who orders a plain hamburger from McDonalds...). The stupid thing is, what I'm asking for is less work for the dealer! There's no need to wash it anyway as I have a 200 mile drive home so it'll be filthy again anyway.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know what you mean. I was the same, I know the salesman who I got my car off quite well and he was giving me abuse as they like to take a picture of the cars they sell as they are being handed over. He didn’t want a picture of mine as it had the protection film and blue foam still stuck to the doors. 😃

·
Registered
850 Posts
All these comments make it all the more strange, as the dealer I used have a very good reputation (and were faultless in every other department).

Maybe I just need to be more vocal about it not being touched next time, but I hate being the awkward customer (like the person who orders a plain hamburger from McDonalds...). The stupid thing is, what I'm asking for is less work for the dealer! There's no need to wash it anyway as I have a 200 mile drive home so it'll be filthy again anyway.
But as you said, may have not been the dealer, but then there are many times I have told them to to wash cars when in for service etc, and they have…not happened for awhile now, but happens

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine was similar but not quite so bad. My detailer got them out though and it looks great now.
Looks great, and good to see even the pros struggle to bend masking tape around curved edges :LOL:

I still would prefer not to have to do all that. Even doing the detailing work myself there's a cost to it (polish, polishing pads are all consumables), plus my time, plus the fact the car has now slightly less clearcoat than it did have.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW - that is a beautifully specified Cooper, good taste sir, looks very luxurious.

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the paint, but you surely polished it out 👌
Thank you, but I can't take the credit it's my wife's car! (though I did encourage her to go silver roof/stripes)

I've gone for a slightly less tasteful Zesty Yellow / Malt Brown on my JCW order!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bit late replying , I had similar issues with Carbon Black X5 (same colour as enigmatic).
Car was delivered with such bad paint swirls I contemplated a re spray. Discovering a genuine hand print (!) on the roof was enough to send it back to the dealer who carried out the work you’ve done such a good job on.

·
Premium Member
22 JCW Hatch Manual Rebel Green
194 Posts
Thank you, but I can't take the credit it's my wife's car! (though I did encourage her to go silver roof/stripes)

I've gone for a slightly less tasteful Zesty Yellow / Malt Brown on my JCW order!
Credit is well deserved - the silver highlights finish it off nicely 👌
Zesty yellow - boys and their toys then 😁👍 That will be some pair, the two of them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before I begin I'm well aware metallic black cars are a nightmare for showing swirls and scratches, but I know how to clean a car properly so didn't think there would be a problem.

The Mini was ordered from new and the dealer asked not to clean it before collection. I did exactly the same when I ordered a new Focus ST in 2017 and other than the dirt from travelling through Germany and into the UK, the paintwork was immaculate and swirl free underneath as you would expect.

That was not the case with the Mini, the first time I saw the sun hit it I realised it was going to take me a full day with the DA polisher to sort out. I can only conclude this happened during the build. The 50/50 shows the state of the paint as it was sent to us (on the left) and the polished side on the right.

View attachment 77839

What sort of QC do Mini have in place for paintwork? I know it's not a Rolls Royce but I would expect much better from a brand new car, especially as Ford can manage it. I'd be interested to know if we were unlucky or if this is the norm.

Some finished photos once I'd sorted it all out, though the sun had gone by this point...

View attachment 77840
View attachment 77841
Hi Resolve,

Love your car. I am thinking of ordering the same colour. Enigmatic black and silver roof / caps with the gorgeous satelite grey upholstery.

I bet you’ve had many compliments ?

May I ask where you ordered the chrome trim around the nose of the car , as I thought it was normally all black ?

It looks fab - I want one. Love the tenticle spoke wheels too. I had ordered green initially but it’s not to late to change.

·
Premium Member
22 JCW Hatch Manual Rebel Green
194 Posts
Hi Resolve,

Love your car. I am thinking of ordering the same colour. Enigmatic black and silver roof / caps with the gorgeous satelite grey upholstery.

May I ask where you ordered the chrome trim around the nose of the car , as I thought it was normally all black ?

It looks fab - I want one. Love the tenticle spoke wheels too. I had ordered green initially but it’s not to late to change.
I think it’s the Cooper S and JCW that come with Piano Black trims as standard. But even for those you should be able to untick it. Although I’m not sure how it looks now with the new streamlined options. But standard trim should be chrome around the grill, light surrounds, door handles…

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Resolve,

It's actually my wife's car so no compliments for me as I don't drive it too often! It is a really nice looking car though.

The Enigmatic Black is stunning but I have been shocked by the paint. I have been into detailing for about 15 years and have never come across paint as soft as this. After I polished all the marks out and got it looking perfect. I've washed it maybe 2-3 times. I always do this carefully, starting with snow foam rinse, 2 bucket wash with lambswool mitt, dried with a microfibre, but the marks have returned. Only noticable in full sun, but it does take the shine off it a bit (no pun intended!).

If we were ordering again, I'd steer her towards Rooftop Grey with Black Roof and Malt Brown interior.

Oh and the chrome trim is how the car was built, I think black is only on the Sport trim?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have been on two factory tours, one in 2011 and one in 2020. Mini do seem to take a great deal of trouble with their paint but in my limited experience their paint is poor. My first Mini (2019 Starlight Blue) chipped like no other car I have ever owned but I loved it and replaced it with an Enigmatic Black model in March this year. My new Mini seems (so far) better at resisting stone chips but has the same swirls that the OP’s car shows.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts