Mini Cooper Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's the trade off with paint. Soft paint is more resistant to stone chips, but will swirl and scratch more. Hard paint is more resistant to scratches but will chip easily. Enigmatic Black is too soft in my opinion.

·
Registered
864 Posts
But also darker colours will always show off the swirls and scratches so much quicker than lighter colours. Mini (BMW) paints are usually pretty hard and not classed as soft, and that is from detailers not me

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes historically BMW paint was known for being hard, but from experience Enigmatic Black definitely isn't. It reminds me a lot of the black Alfa Romeo Guilietta I had a few years ago.

I'm not a pro detailer, but when I wash all three of our cars with the same technique and only one is marking whilst the others remain perfect, it's definitely soft paint!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's the trade off with paint. Soft paint is more resistant to stone chips, but will swirl and scratch more. Hard paint is more resistant to scratches but will chip easily. Enigmatic Black is too soft in my opinion.
I sort of agree but I have owned many cars and Mini seem to be the worst I have come across which is a shame as they are great cars. This is a picture of my 1985 Beetle taken last month. I acquired this car in 1988 with 1100kms on the clock. It now shows just under 40,000kms. It is original, unrestored and has less stone chips than my previous Mini which only covered 14,000miles when I sold it.
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yes historically BMW paint was known for being hard, but from experience Enigmatic Black definitely isn't. It reminds me a lot of the black Alfa Romeo Guilietta I had a few years ago.

I'm not a pro detailer, but when I wash all three of our cars with the same technique and only one is marking whilst the others remain perfect, it's definitely soft paint!!
Fair enough. I had a Carbon Black BMW M40i which is very similar to enigmatic (blue in certain light). I ceramic coated it and it stood up pretty well tbf. Also had a midnight black F57 that agin held up well after ceramic and safe washing. But always showed any small marks. My white silver F60 JCW is brilliant and only really the piano black trim to worry about

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi Resolve,

Love your car. I am thinking of ordering the same colour. Enigmatic black and silver roof / caps with the gorgeous satelite grey upholstery.

I bet you’ve had many compliments ?

May I ask where you ordered the chrome trim around the nose of the car , as I thought it was normally all black ?

It looks fab - I want one. Love the tenticle spoke wheels too. I had ordered green initially but it’s not to late to change.
Some more photos below if it helps your decision! The Tenticle wheels were a great choice, we had the Roulette wheels on her previous MINI and they looked lovely but even at 2 years old were starting to corrode on the diamond cut sections. Not suitable for UK weather!

We had Satelite Grey on the previous car too, for some reason despite the seats being absolutely identical, the ones in the LCI2 seem to be getting dirty easier? Strange, as I treated them both with Dr Leather Dye Block so they had exactly the same protection. Will keep an eye on it, but they clean up easily enough anyway.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Cloud

Vehicle Car Speedometer Plant Gear shift

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Fair enough. I had a Carbon Black BMW M40i which is very similar to enigmatic (blue in certain light). I ceramic coated it and it stood up pretty well tbf. Also had a midnight black F57 that agin held up well after ceramic and safe washing. But always showed any small marks. My white silver F60 JCW is brilliant and only really the piano black trim to worry about
You sound like you know how to look after your cars (y)

The wife's previous MINI was Midnight Black and that paint was a lot more durable, not sure why the Enigmatic Black is so fragile. A ceramic coating would undoubtedly help, but can't really justfiy it on a £19k car.

Nice Countryman, White Silver is a cracking colour and as you say, very forgiving when it comes to swirls and scratches!

·
Super Moderator
8,620 Posts
The finish superb but the paint is water based and soft, that plus the flat front mean it' easily chipped on the bonnet.

·
Registered
864 Posts
You sound like you know how to look after your cars (y)

The wife's previous MINI was Midnight Black and that paint was a lot more durable, not sure why the Enigmatic Black is so fragile. A ceramic coating would undoubtedly help, but can't really justfiy it on a £19k car.

Nice Countryman, White Silver is a cracking colour and as you say, very forgiving when it comes to swirls and scratches!
Thanks, but if a hobby. Do the correction and ceramic myself on my cars. 3.5k so far in countryman and no chips yet They will come I am sure

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
The sun was out yesterday to demonstrate my point. Both photos taken about 30 seconds apart.

My Megane (Flame Red metallic) - paint corrected about a year ago and maybe 30 washes since:
Hood Automotive lighting Tints and shades Automotive exterior Automotive design

Our MINI, paint corrected last month and washed 3 times. Exactly the same wash technique and equipment!
Atmosphere Sky World Rectangle Astronomical object

It's a stunning colour, but if those marks bother you it's not for you. I dread to think what one would look like after going through an automatic car wash 😂:oops:

·
Registered
122 Posts
The sun was out yesterday to demonstrate my point. Both photos taken about 30 seconds apart.

My Megane (Flame Red metallic) - paint corrected about a year ago and maybe 30 washes since at a guess

View attachment 78744

Our MINI, paint corrected last month and washed 3 times. Exactly the same wash technique!

View attachment 78745

It's a stunning colour, but if those marks bother you it's not for you. I dread to think what one would look like after going through an automatic car wash 😂:oops:
I'm afraid the attachments don't show ...

·
Registered
343 Posts

My Megane (Flame Red metallic) - paint corrected about a year ago and maybe 30 washes since:
View attachment 78746

Our MINI, paint corrected last month and washed 3 times. Exactly the same wash technique and equipment!
View attachment 78747

Just how my car is looking. I used BMW/Mini Protect X on it but it hasn’t stopped the streaks, smears and general underlying plethora of marks. The same product/technique worked well on my previous Mini (Starlight Blue). I think it’s a case of regular applications of a sacrificial layer of wax to keep the paint looking good. A test patch of Autoglym is on the menu.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I don't think a wax will help too much (I waxed ours after paint correction). PPF is the only way to stop it completely, though a ceramic coating may help as they are thicker/harder than a wax.

·
Registered
122 Posts

View attachment 78747

That's not nice. That color then is really no good for me. I hope and pray my awaited "midnight black v2" is more easy and more forgiving.

·
Super Moderator
8,620 Posts
PPF paint protection film. Our R series roadster is Midnight black metallic; quite soft imo! But it's black, our Nissan Navara is black and already has more teeny scratches than our mini and in spite of me being really careful a bird dropping removal scratched it to the point i had to use a v mild cutting compound. PErsonally I think a dark colour esp black and modern water based paints equals faint marks even with the most careful valeting but let's get real here-from a yard away it looks stunning and is well worth the agony!

Reactions: blackonblack
21 - 40 of 52 Posts