Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spending tomorrow looking at changing my car.

Going to my MINI dealer in the afternoon but also have an appointment with Audi in the morning.

Considering an A3 (or even A1) if I move from MINI. One thing that MINI is behind Audi is predicted residual value at the end of a PCP deal.

A MINI is worth considerably less (percentage terms) than an Audi after 3 years. Also they are offering £2400 finance contribution on a 3 door A3. This makes Audi cheaper on a PCP.

So, if I like the A3 and I can get a decent trade in on my f56 I may decide to move on. Won't be easy to drag me away from MINI but I have had 5 of them so maybe a good time to try something different.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Audi's are good cars but I don't have experience owning one....I have several BMW's (old ones, but some of the best ones!). I decided to try a MINI finally since loving the 1st gen MCS....but this F56 is light years ahead of the prior Gen Minis....you know that I'm sure. I say go ahead & try an Audi...you'll love it is my guess but it's a different feeling car....you'll probably be back! lol!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The A3 is a fine car, the Stronic tranny (called DSG in other brands from the group) is superb. What engine are you considering? From 1.8 and above VAG engines really do suffer from turbo lag IMO. I think the snappiest engine is the 1.4 (about 160hp) soon to be replaced by a 1.5 with a variable geometry turbo.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you think to be adult...Audi.
If you feel young...F56.

Other easy questions?

I agree. I know it's not what is being asked here, but before buying my F55 MCS I also took the test drive of the VW GTI. I found it boring to drive next to the Mini.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
But the Audi won't make you smile like the MINI does? That's the major drawback......unless it's the S1 :)

Financially, it's undeniably good sense to go with Audi but you have to admit, even though they're good cars, they are dull......

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Is the MINI you're only car? How about changing the variant - go for a clubby if you need practicality - or think "sod it you only live once" and go for the convertible?!

I'd be tempted by the F57 MCS if the deal was right.

Reactions: kenl

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Women prefer men who drive Audis

Boy this is not an easy one.... BMW comes in at 2nd place and the new Mini is technical a BMW. If you look like James Bond I guess it does not matter what you drive:D:D Read on

New study provides insight into what female motorists want their 'perfect man' to drive

If you’re a bloke who drives a Volvo station wagon, you’ve got about as much chance of attracting the attentions of female drivers as Quasimodo re-enacting the final scene from The Full Monty.

In other words, about zero.

But if you drive an Audi convertible, you’ll appear a proper George Clooney by comparison.

That’s according to a new study conducted by car rental company Europcar in the UK, which conducted the ‘light-hearted’ research to find out what women wanted their dream men to drive.

The study sample size was 2000 (heterosexual) women in the UK, who saw their ‘perfect man’ driving an Audi, with 18 per cent of women choosing the German brand.

The most popular type of car was a convertible (22%) followed by a luxury sedan (21%).

After Audi, the second most attractive brand to women was BMW (12%), with the lowest being Volvo. Surprisingly, Porsche and Ferrari were spurned, scoring just 3% and 2% respectively.

Of the perfect man, Ken McCall, Managing Director, Europcar UK Group, said that “…most women agree he should be in a convertible – a car that’s says luxury without being flashy”.

In terms of car types, after the convertible and luxury sedan, the next most popular vehicle type was an SUV (21%), while the practical wagon is just that, practical. But not sexy… Only 3% of women would see their perfect man driving an estate.

But if there’s one thing that really unites female motorists in their vision of the perfect bloke, it’s being able to change a tyre.

Two out of three (66%) in the sample group said their perfect guy would change a tyre, followed closely by men who bring them tea in bed (53%). We’re not sure how that works while travelling in a car, but there you go.

Oh, and men who iron their shirts is appealing too.

Around half of all respondents said the ideal man laughs at his partner’s jokes and refuels the car, and smokers aren’t completely dissed. Only 57% find non-smoking male motorists attractive, leaving 43% who don’t mind the tobacco express.

Just over half (53%) the sample group said their ideal man travels regularly and the most popular road trip is cruising the Amalfi Coast in Italy. In a convertible, naturally.

“We thought it would be fun to find out what women are looking for in the perfect man”, said McCall.

He says today’s women “…want the perfect balance between James Bond’s jet-set style and sophistication, combined with practicality and sensitivity”.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Who ever said women are hard to please.

It always comes down to your head or your heart. But with so much experience with Minis, maye its good to take a break to reinvigerate your Mini passion.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I went from an R55 Clubman S to an Audi S3 and I'm now back to a JCW. The A3 is a quality car with superb level of build and solidity but it lacks an sort of character and as strange as this sounds it just does everything so well making it very clinical and boring.

My S3 was 310bhp but more than happy to sacrifice the 80bhp to be back in a full fat JCW MINI.

·
Registered
320 Posts
No woman ever looked at me when I had my old Audi. Fact. No woman ever looked at the car either. Its number plate did end in BVR, so me and the kids christened it 'the BeaVeR'. Probably didn't help.

Since I've had the Mini, its had lots and lots of female attention to be fair, far more than my old S1 Elise ever did. Couple of times, spied the female of the species checking it out in the supermarket car park, petrol forecourt, and they are all over it in the car park at work. Oh, is it yours, thats lovely, really like those, always wanted one, I've got a mini, not a JCW though, is it a real one? I'm sure most wouldn't care for the difference between an SE, S3 and an RS3, but a higher proportion seem to weirdly know the difference between a Cooper, S and a JCW. Still don't look at me though, its definitely just the car!

Anyway, back to the OP, Audi's are fine fine cars, had a few A4's, never let me down, absolute quality. They do interiors so well. No rattles here, even 100k miles on. But yeah, after years of them the Mini is indeed much much more fun and sooooo much better to 'drive'. Depends what you want. Can't think of a finer place to be to cruise 1,000 motorway miles a week than a diesel s-tronic A3/A4/A5/A6 etc. Very 'easy' - thats the word, just effortless to drive. Good residuals and lease deals mean they are affordable but also everywhere now so no longer 'special'? But then what is.

Wife had an A1 for four years, 1.6 diesel manual, 11-plate from new. SE spec with a few bits. We went for it as at the time we were a little uninspired by how well her '07 plate Mini One had stood up to the rigours of day to day life - rattly trim, poor quality plastics. And yes, the A1 interior stood up loads better, sold it at 67k miles a few months back. After a good valet inside, it really was as good as new. Very hard wearing. She liked it to start with, especially on the motorway, but overtime, she said it was boring and wanted her Mini back.

But new F56 Mini v. her old A1, the F56 is as good if not better quality and design/layout is in another world of unique-ness. Definitely come on leaps and bounds in terms of interior quality since her old one, and certainly a match for any Audi I've had, indeed pretty much anything I've ever driven. Would I swap my F56 for an A1? Absolutely nooooooo way.

So I'd say, depends if you want more 'easy' or more 'fun'. And that depends what you do with it!

But do give a Golf GTI a run if you can stretch to it, some really good deals around on those at the moment on the net, overshadowed by the R a little in outright pace, but a great compromise (and a good interior with its tartan seats!!!)?

Sorry for the long rambling thread!

Reactions: kenl

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all very much for your replies.

I am sorry to report that I have decided to go for an Audi A3. It is a bog standard car (SE facelift car). Basic but it still has a fair amount in the standard spec. Bluetooth, cruise, LED DRLs with Xenon headlights, large Screen for the radio etc.

The deal available is very good on these. Approximately £2700 off the list price with Audi finance offer and a wee bit extra from dealer who matched best price from CarWow. They also offered the same amount for the MINI as a MINI dealer did last week.

Residuals on these are far stronger than MINI are now, guarantee on the one I ordered is ~50% after three years and 45k miles.

I may well regret this as I do love MINIs, but I can always change back in a couple of years :). Won't get the new car until late September so I can have fun in the Cooper until then.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Good luck with the new car, sounds like you got a good deal too.

Now 2 years into my deal I've started looking around, but the only things I've driven have been cooperS and JCW. Salesman at Audi up here wasn't the most enthusiastic so I didn't even get as far as a seat inside a used S3.

Get the obligatory pic up with the old and new cars together when you collect. ;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
All the best with the Audi Ken, you'll always be welcome here (if your skin is thick enough) hee hee

Reactions: Evlkarl and kenl
1 - 20 of 31 Posts