Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my first MC a month ago and was compulsively surfing the Configurator when I discovered side stripes as an option. I haven't seen any actual photos of owned MCs with these additional stripes. I think they add yet another distinctive element of style and could make one's MINI stand out a bit. How come you VO fans haven't jumped on this option? I'm thinkin' of calling my dealer to see if I can add them. Don't expect my car has gone into production yet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's on the Build Your Own part of the Mini website, so it's a factory option. If I were more savvy I could paste the photo. It's called "JCW Pro Side Stripes in Black" and cost $92. It let me add it to a base Mini, so I assume it's not just available on a JCW. Anybody know more? I'm perplexed why no folks are choosing this option. Think they look pretty cool. Will call my salesman to see if I can add it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If they are the ones you're talking about @vegbiker, they're not solely factory fit. They're available within the accessories catalogue and so can be purchased, ordered and fitted through your dealership after delivery of your car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that's what they look like on the MINI website - 3 stripes of different widths, adding a splash of dash on that blank canvas. I would assume they're vinyl like the bonnet stripes. Custom painted no doubt would look even better! If you go that way, please post a photo and let us know what it cost.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VolcF56, thanks for clarifying that point. It wasn't self-evident from the website. So "accessories" means dealer supplied? This raises the question of how reliable a job any given dealer would do. I have less faith in them then the factory.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, it just means they can be 'after-market' as it were :)

I guess you could always buy the decals and get a different garage to fit them if you wanted? I'm not sure you have to be tied to getting the mini dealership to fit them if you didn't trust them?

·
Registered
160 Posts
One plus side is that if the dealer doesn't fit them to your satisfaction then tell them to redo it. You are paying them to do a job, and if not completed to your satisfaction, like anything else you would tell them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Good point. So I called my salesman on his cell and he told me only the parts were $92 and didn't include labor, but the service shop could put them on or I could go to a custom shop. Now I'm thinking this add-on could be $300 or more. Makes me less enthusiastic about getting them. Then he told me, oh by the way, he had been fired the past Monday! Subject for another thread.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dealership is in Colorado and has only been open for 4 years. During that time, he has consistently been their top salesman and awards winner. After going there twice for test drives, and also going to the other local dealership where I was underwhelmed by the sales staff, I decided easily to go with him for my purchase. He is easygoing, not-pushy, a total gearhead and former motorcycle racer. Very knowledgeable about cars, not just Minis. He told me he came in Monday to work and the manager said he was fired and that "he didn't need to give him a reason." This salesman has 8 outstanding build orders for customers. He also mentioned he thinks they're re-structuring and the sales staff will be put on salary instead of commission.

So outwardly it appears to be a cold-hearted business decision on the part of management. Why they would fire their top salesman is beyond me. I really liked this dealership up to this point but now I'm turned off. After I've built a relationship with a fine gentleman, now I'll have to work with someone new on delivery and payment. Make of it what you will.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I guess if they don't give you a reason for firing you then you can't complain about wrongful dismissal, but it sounds highly dubious. But I know nothing about US employment law.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts