Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a long wait we finally have ****** Silver in the garage for its detox before full works and fun begins, I will post lots of pics when all completed, so just a couple of pics one with finished rear shot apart from plastics getting ceramic coated that is

First up spa treatment

A taster of the half finished job, hope you like:D

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Looks grand Derek! I wanna see more pics when you have it all spiffy! :)

John

P.S. Where did you get the JCW sign on your wall? I got to get me one of those!

Reactions: derekh929

·
Registered
457 Posts
Looking good Derek........I'll bring mine up for a clean up after getting caught in the downpours yesterday:(
Is that a speck of dust I see on the Garage floor:laugh:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking good Derek........I'll bring mine up for a clean up after getting caught in the downpours yesterday:(
Is that a speck of dust I see on the Garage floor:laugh:
Thanks Davo , yes lots of specs of dust , thing is it looks like show garage but its far from it done some good projects and looking for another last one was 390cc Honda off road buggy rebuild from scratch

Her is the link another project soon i hope, but been changing all my garage about for more storage and get stainless bench for new vertical drill etc

http://www.detailingnation.com/showthread.php?6997-Off-Road-Buggy-Project

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Ghee I use less shampoo when I take a shower.:eek: talking about a shampoo over kill for such a small car.:D I guess I missed the Bikini Girls with all that soap in my eyes.:(:(:(

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Are you doing your coatings yourself Derek? Mine is going to AMDetails tomorrow for 'detox'/Crystal Serum coatings. Can't wait to see the results!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi Donna I have friends that are in the detailing game and we have a meet up once a year and all get stuck in to do the car.
When your up at AMD if you see a young lad with black hair an other Alan I was asking for him he is very good a detailing.
The car was coated with two coats of Car Pro Finest that I have on the BMW , Craig from Car Pro UK is a friend and he applied the coating, but I have done a good few myself and used ceramic coatings CQUK for years on wheels etc and find it ok to apply.
There was 10 off us OCD car friends up at mine on sat for full day then I coated all wheels plastics grills etc with Car Pro DLUX yesterday as stops the plastics going grey and making them more rich darker matt look I like , just have to very careful with applying to plastics you get all the residue off before it dry's.
Did the plastics on my beemer and 2 years on still look great also did under bonnet plastics as well a but extreme I know but that me lol.
We had asked the dealer not to touch the car at all as I always do to save time on machine work , paint was ok just some etching caused by residue from the plastic and the black between the windows needed machine polished as well

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ah yeah ... there's the 'boss' and 'junior' Alans right enough! Very confusing when you phone and ask to speak to Alan.......

I'm not sure what to use of my plastics, T1 just doesn't last very well at all, and it you use Tardis it leaves horrible dribble marks. I don't really have the space to do nanocoatings myself as they usually need to be done in a garage and left to cure. Actually, they'll maybe use C4 *fingers crossed*
I'm getting G1 glass and C5 wheel bolt ons. I'm not quite so fussy about the engine - a quick 'dicht' when it needs it!!
My black gloss pillars are in a mess, always have been, hopefully they'll get some of the marks off it too.

Roll on Saturday, collection day. Pray for sunshine!!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes mini plastics a nightmare that's why im coating them this time, C1 I had on my BMW its very good and I agree re tardis and streaks that's why I have just got some Tarx this time as not so harsh on plastic but still need to be careful , more expensive but will keep both of them for different jobs.
Coating the wheels is very wise I took off them all yesterday and coated them also did door shuts with ceramic coating extreme again but looks good with tread plates coated.
Yes the gloss black is just so easily marked in any situation even though you are very careful and looks terrible in direct sun light, they managed to get them looking good on sat

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
How are your door pillars on a new JCW? Do you have the 'new' door seals or do you still have the original ones that rub the paintwork? I'm waiting to hear from JC to get my new door seals fitted and now that I'm getting my car coated I'm panicking about them respraying the inside door pillar!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to say im not sure re new door seals but was aware of paint rub problem something I had on our R56S as well, seals have funny parts to them I have not seen before, but will check this out before I coat them with something to stop them going grey as I don't like that and keeping them good helps the window seal well on frameless windows imho
How does the paint work for JC's know as you could well warn them buy email before going into get done the consequences of getting it wrong , no pressure for them.
I hate taking any car into the dealers if im honest but it seems at least in BMW Aberdeen they have plenty of don't wash signs in car to warm them not to touch the car as they will have had to pay out many times to sort damage for sure, you would think it was simpler to just have a slightly better wash process, but that would be all to easy

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I usually use Swisswax seal feed on my seals to save them squeaking and freezing in the winter (worked great on my RCZ before that). The seals are really rough to the touch so it'll be interesting to see how well the new ones feel. I might try and put on a bit of the clear sticky plastic everyone on here suggests, once it's been done, prevention is better than cure!

I intend on making JC WELL aware that my paintwork has been coated etc and I will insist that this is recorded on the job sheet and I want a signed copy. I've heard a few horror stories and that's probably what's making it worse. Alan (boss Alan) did say that with CS their warranty covers recoating panels if the cars in a accident so if the worst happens he might be able to touch it up. We'll discuss that tomorrow. Not so fussed about the inside of the door panels being CS coated anyway since you don't see it but if they coat them then it'll need redone :(

(I need to get a grip!)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes its the seal feed I did the BMW with not cheap but does a fantastic job of keeping the seals well I will need to get a new bottle , that will hurt
Im sure it will all turn out fine for sure

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Morning Donna good luck with the motor today and looking forward to seeing her finished and in some sun that might be the hard part

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your car as well Donna. I bought a few products from AM Details and gradually working through getting my car clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts