Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Last night, I was making a run to my local supermarket, and during a moment of stupidity, I somehow managed to curb my rear driver side wheel doing a u-turn. I somehow managed to clear the front, but somehow cranked too sharply in the end and I think partially ran the curb over, like the last quarter of it. I was going no faster then 10-15mph at this time. The curb is also not a giant one, it's more of a medium one, no more then about 3-4ish inches in height. There was a significant jolt when it happened, sort of like running over a pothole, or a large bump.

Upon visual inspection there is no damage to the wheel or tire, making me think I more of ran it over rather then hitting it sideways. This morning when I went under and checked the control arms and things of that nature out, there appears to be nothing bent or anything like that, it looks the same as the other side, and the wheel spacing and camber appear to still be the same. So, I took my MINI out to an empty parking lot and tested things out, and there's no noise, and everything feels fine even when maneuvering quickly or doing tight multiple u-turns. It still tracks straight until as it's supposed to without steering input begins going to the right. The drive to and from the parking lot also felt the same as it's always driven.

So, I'm just wondering if there's anything I should worry about, could there be any hidden damage, or am I being overly paranoid?

· Registered
4,868 Posts
You always can stop by at your Mini Dealer for a piece of mind and to be on the safe side. If you inspected the wheel and do not see any damage personally I would not worry too much. Just do not go down the road over 200 MPH.:D:D

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think I'm just going to not worry about it too much right now. I'll probably just have them check it out when I take it into service next, or get the JCW tuning kit installed maybe sooner rather then later haha :D.

When I hit the curb though, it didn't make any metallic smacking noise or anything, it felt like the tire was the only thing to contact the curb, and it just sort of went either over or just sort of bounced off.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
If you have runflats, you have some extra protection from damage due to such encounters....probably the only real advantage of having them!

· Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Drive it moderately for the next few hundred km or miles and just watch for any delamination, bulges in the tyre or un even wear but sounds like you might have escaped a potentially costly mistake.

Happy driving.

· Registered
407 Posts
What size wheels do you have?

I have done this a couple times and thankfully because of the 16" wheel and substantial protrusion of the tire, I have walked away with no scratches to the wheel.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 16" runflats. I think the tire did cushion most or all of the impact. I think like the first quarter of my tire drove over the curb, so it wasn't a side blow. I've got the sport suspension if that makes a difference. After many years of driving, this is the first time I've ever done this, still kicking myself.

· Registered
4,868 Posts
Do not kick yourself too hard I have done stupid things over the years myself driving.... like hitting that pole that I knew it was there with my Porsche 944 right rear quarter panel damage was $ 4400.00. Sometimes it does not take a lot too loose concentration for a moment. That is why I love insurance companies and junk yards.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.