Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am wondering if anyone has been successfully able to receive and display sms's on the mini's screen. I've connected a few different android phones via Bluetooth, and the messaging feature doesn't show up. I've also connected a few different iPhone's, and while the messaging feature shows up, no SMS's are displayed.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
No I haven't been able to get it to work either.
My iPhone 4S works perfectly in my BMW 1 series, but not in the MINI. Had no joy with Mrs W's iPhone 5S either.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I remember seeing my SMS in the Mini but I don't remember if I was connected with bluetooth or Mini Connected ?! I didn't try to send SMS though.. the UI is not very friendly for SMS.

Oh, maybe something that could help. I know that some Mobile/Office features are only available while parked.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I get emails from my blackberry through Bluetooth on the media close screen!?

She will read them out if you are that way inclined!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have not been able to find a way to get notification of incoming messages. However, my phone is usually in my pocket when I'm driving. If I hear the tone of an SMS message, I can view it fairly easily while driving. Using the voice-activation command you can just say "Messages" and it takes you right to the screen, even while driving. The most recent message will be at the top, and she will ask you to select a message by number. Once selected she will read it out. However, I'm still not happy with the Voice Recog. It seems to get "Messages" OK, but numbers are apparently hard :) Anyway, once I have it up on the screen, a quick glance tells me who it is from and what it says.

Without the voice, you can get there by navigation to "Telephone" and then selecting "Messages" under that option.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I get the little email envelope along the top line of the media screen, next to the time, if there are any unopened messages?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Tried it this evening, it works perfectly with Bluetooth. No need for Mini Connected to read SMS on the Mini's screen.

If the notification is only a small envelope beside the time, I hadn't noticed it yet!

·
Registered
72 Posts
not working with my iphone 5, stationary or moving.. the message screen says filter by unread or show all... i have 3 unread messages on the phone but still no luck seeing them on the car display... thats sms and email... none of them will show.

am connected with cable and bluetooth...
either in the phone sub menu or vie the office menu...

had the same issue with ford sync... i think this is a apple thing - just seems to common to be anything else?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok , which android version you are using? I've tried the following android devices, and messages fail to show:
Sony Xperia Z
Sony Zperia Z Ultra
Samsung note 2
Samsung S4

Ok thanks. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
You will only get messages showing when messages come through when connected, either wired or bluetooth.
Unread messages that are on your phone when connected will not show.
Apple do not support emails

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah messages still not showing even when connected via Bluetooth. and yes, new messages don't appear either... seems very select, or maybe some option must be enabled in the car settings..

·
Registered
49 Posts
I read a message from my iPhone 5 through my screen yesterday. I have chilli pack, so just normal visual boost, no nav or XL fanciness.

There's an option on the iPhone though;
Settings -> Bkuetooth ->MINI12345 (select the i towards the right of the car's unique name) -> switch on Show Notifications

My phone buzzed, an envelope came up on the screen, and was available within Telephone -> Messages.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Thanks for the info . Didn't realise you had to set for each phone connected. Works for us now too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my android (galaxy S4 active) I don't have any notification options in Bluetooth settings. However, when I am connected and go to the Telephone/settings option on the Mini screen, I can see all of my messages, read or unread, even ones that came in when not connected. It seems to be just accessing that part of my phone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When i first got my F56 when i pressed the voice control button on the steering wheel and said 'send message' i got a reply saying 'which contact' selected my contact then a voice mesage saying ' what message would you like to send' i would say the message then it would say 'would you like to send message now' i would say 'yes' and the message was sent.
It worked a couple of times then stopped working, i since had a reply from Mini to say that this function wont work with apple products....
Weired how it worked at the beginning !!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Waiting patiently for my delivery, however my phone is due an upgrade now! What phone can you get the most functionality out of in the mini? I have ordered visual boost radio. I've always liked apple phones but also really like the experia Z2. I have checked the compatibility on the MINI website but I didnt find it very clear

·
Registered
734 Posts
That's a good question...

On a related note, I can see that many of these features are implemented in software. How likely are we to see software updates from Mini to improve the features and compatibility? Any experience from previous mini owners?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts