Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Car & Driver complained about that the interior on the Mini is cheap I thought I throw the questions out to the "Experts" :D Coming from a 2012 Fiat Abarth now I honestly can say that Interior felt cheap smelled cheap looked cheap. Personally I am okay with the feel and looks of the F55/56 interior.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have driven quite a few courtesy cars over the last two years, including BMW non-Minis, and in my opinion the materials used and the quality of my current 2014 Cooper interior surpasses all of them.

I am always pleased to get back into it.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My interior still smells new!....and the fit & finish is top notch imo! Time will tell, but no rattles whatsoever so far & I have the sport suspension! LOL! I've been in a lot of Gen 1 MINIs and the Gen 3 is light years ahead in quality....maybe not as far ahead of Gen 2s but still better from my experience...and the color combos are better....I prefer black interiors and I think it's much better than all the silver & cutsie trim pieces on previous Gens. It's "solid"!

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
I don't think there is anything cheap about the mini interior. I have had a few new cars of late and I will put the mini towards the top for it's asking price market.
You have to be reasonable as not to expect high end built quality for a mid priced car. if you comparing the mini to a Jaguar, high end Merc etc etc then yes, it is cheap but in it's class, it's definitely a cut above the rest.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Been away for a week two year old cooper with half leather 13000 miles.got in sat and the smell of leather was amazing.
Crazy article IMO. If they mean quirky well yes but cheap no way. Dash plastics as good as any modern mainstream car. We had a look at the jag f pace. No better inside ex a bit more leather. Great interior if you like something different from the euro bore box.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've driven loads of stuff over the last year or so, and (yes, I'm biased!) I reckon my new JCW is as good as anything premium I can recall driving. Loads better than Merc C-class & A-Class and right up there with my '62 plate A4 and the recent spate of new A3 courtesy cars. Golf R felt very very well screwed together as did TTS, but I think where the Mini scores is that the design is so unique and different, nothing else like it, that tips it over the edge. So even a couple of bits of hard/cheap plastic down below, you'd never notice. Unless you spend ££££'s on extended leather, carbon inserts blah blah blah, its as good as anything out there to me, especially small car sector. Mine is stock JCW interior, no chili packs etc. and its an exceptionally pleasant place to spend a few hours.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One of the main things that determined why I would buy an F56 MINI was the quality of the interior; the premium look, materials and fit are noticably better than anything in the small hatch segment.

Unconventional design yes, but not 'cheap'. Other cars I tried might try to impress with separate speedo, tacho and gauges but the detail design and materials are poorer than I found on the MINI.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the JCW with Chili pack and 'Your' leather (a c.£36k car) I came from a Jaguar XFS Sportbreak (a c. £54k car).

I think that there are certainly differences between the two, but the quality of each are in the same ballpark without a doubt. I find the quality of the leather used to be comparable, where the Mini lacks (IMO) is the lack of electrically adjustable and cooled seats, but these will only add additional weight - everything else if just fluff from my point of view.

The 'leather' dash of the Jag is a manufactured material (bonded leather)

·
Registered
88 Posts
The F55 SD is my third MINI and I will say it's the best interior yet. My first was a One Clubman and it was good but it was hard plastic and rattled a lot. The second was a Countryman SD and it felt so much more grown up and solid compared to the Clubman but the F55 is on another level. My dad is on his second F11 5 series estate and it feels just as well put together as those cars, although if you ask him, his current one is not as good as his first. He has wore through the leather on the driver's seat side where you get in and out already. He is a sales man and drives a fare few miles but it's only 1.5 years old.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm MINI through and through having had seven..

But as I said they are good and not great because to me, and only my opinion, the fuel gauge looks cheap and out of place and IMO the rev counter should be where the speedo is as previous MINIs, after all there is a digital speedo! Tucked away on the left hardly visible is not great...

I just think these couple of things stop it being great...but I do like a lot :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've had a bunch of BMWs before my Mini and I'd say, for the most part, the interior is up to the same standard. Sure it has the occasional "chinzy" touch, like the fuel gauge, but to me these are the touches that make it more Mini and less BMW. More fun and playful and less serious and carpet seller-y.

The soft touch is great. Leather JCW wheel feels great. Gear shifter feels great with a solid feel. Dash switchgear is solid and feels reliable. Seats are well put together, nice fabric (got the half leatherette/fabric sport seats).

Honestly, the level of quality matches my expectations.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not at all cheap ... it is an entirely different level from previous Minis (had both 1st and 2nd gen cars). It compares very favorably with current BMW offerings. It's definitely a step up compared to most of the competition.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Genera consensus is mag testers have lost the plot!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not a fan of the seats or rails,
seems that they are not as sturdy
My GP recaros were a notch above,

Having said that The rest of the interior is far better than a golf,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts