Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got around 6 weeks still to get the cooper SD so still at the stage of trying to get as much info on this machine as possible.

There seems to be quite a lot of info and chat about the cooper S but not that much about the SD. It seems on one hand it's like the poor relation but the irony is it's more expensive.

So to the good folks who have had it a while, how good is this car? And to those that have driven the Cooper S and SD (apart from engine noise and mpg) is there much difference when driving them?

Any thoughts or comments would be of interest to keep me going until I get the thing!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
It certainly isn't the poor relation!

I've never owned one but had a loan one for a week and was very impressed :)

I'd say it's more down to the mileage you do...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It certainly isn't the poor relation!

I've never owned one but had a loan one for a week and was very impressed :)

I'd say it's more down to the mileage you do...
Good to hear. It'll be my weekend car as the wife will be driving it during the week and racking up the mileage. She got it through her work as a lease car and it worked out cheaper on the monthly payments than the Cooper S so fairly pleased.

CHEERS

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went from a 2008 Petrol Cooper S into an SD in 2011 and have only just part ex'd it in against a new JCW. It never made me smile the way the petrol S did, but it was a very nice car and the only thing that I couldn't understand was that they reduced the fuel tank size so it had a similar range to the petrol car.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I went from a 2008 Petrol Cooper S into an SD in 2011 and have only just part ex'd it in against a new JCW. It never made me smile the way the petrol S did, but it was a very nice car and the only thing that I couldn't understand was that they reduced the fuel tank size so it had a similar range to the petrol car.
And That has zero to do with a F56 SD .....

The F56 SD is a better car than the F56 S
Mine has VDC which is miles better than std suspension

You should be happy :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have a 2014 SD and love it. Also have a 2007 cooper S (supercharged model) and driving style is so different. The SD has a lot of torque and pulls well from low revs. Only done 2K in it so far and mainly 30 mile round trip to work along Loch Ness. Lots of twisty stuff. It does under steer a bit compared to the Cooper S but guess it quite a heavy lump in the front but you soon get used to what it can do. Fuel economy is fantastic, I can get over 60 mpg driving to work in green mode or on a quiet morning with no traffic and in sport it returns about 40 mpg.
We are driving down to the Italian lakes next week via Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland so will be interesting to see how it handles that.
I've driven lots of different cars in the last 35 years and really love this car. Not many cars you can enjoy driving so much and are so cheap to run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got around 6 weeks still to get the cooper SD so still at the stage of trying to get as much info on this machine as possible.

There seems to be quite a lot of info and chat about the cooper S but not that much about the SD. It seems on one hand it's like the poor relation but the irony is it's more expensive.

So to the good folks who have had it a while, how good is this car? And to those that have driven the Cooper S and SD (apart from engine noise and mpg) is there much difference when driving them?

Any thoughts or comments would be of interest to keep me going until I get the thing!
I bought the SD from new September 2014, having first test driven the S (twice), and preferred the power delivery of the SD. The S is typical of a petrol engined car in that it does it's best work higher up the rev range, the SD in that it does it's best work lower down the rev range. I am always amused when comments are made about choosing the SD if you want extra mpg, as if choosing the diesel over the petrol is purely economic. I chose the SD because it felt stronger than the S, especially in the mid range, or climbing hills.
The S is officially 0.5 of a second quicker than the SD 0-60mph, which in the real world is negligible, also not representative of how a car is driven. However I do not wish to put down the S in any way, I just prefer the SD. One thing I will point out is that I drive 95% of the time in sport mode, the throttle response increases considerably from mid mode, to the degree it feels like a different car.
In the time I have owned the car I have consistently achieved 50 mpg regardless of any spirited driving, the engine has about 8500 miles under it's belt and feels strong, uses next to no oil, and has been totally reliable. The only issues with the car has been a failed sender unit on a rear wheels tyre pressure monitoring system, and the other day I found a small section of plastic pipe in the front passenger footwell, which turned out to be a section of pipe that funnels cool air into the glovebox, which according to my local dealer was probably not secured properly when the car was built, both issues fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great replies. Thanks guys. I've only had one diesel previously an Audi a4 and loved it. In particular the low end torque just so relaxing to drive when you want that but pulled really well when you wanted a bit of fun. Exactly what I'm looking for in the mini and I guess that's why ordered the SD.

·
Registered
844 Posts
And That has zero to do with a F56 SD .....

The F56 SD is a better car than the F56 S
Mine has VDC which is miles better than std suspension

You should be happy :D
Some sweeping statements there. The S is faster than the SD. So, what makes the SD a better car for anyone not doing high mileage? To my mind, anyone buying an S wants a fun drive, is the SD a better car to drive than an S?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess it may just come down to driving styles. Personally I like to feel the car pulling without working it so hard and therefore lean towards the low end grunt of a diesel with all that extra torque. I'm sure though that in a nice country road when I'm feeling a bit of a hooligan the petrol would be a hoot. Be nice to have both thoughhis and hers!

·
Registered
213 Posts
SD is best all rounder imo, just as quick as the S but far better fuel econemy and lots of grunt lower down where you really use it 90% of the time, plus £20 a year tax. Whats not to like :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have just got my 2015 SD F55 yesterday and I am loving it. I changed from an SD Countryman. I think when people say it's down to mileage which engine you choose they are afraid to say that they just preferred it. I have always driven diesel as I just prefer the way you get the power and I must admit I actually prefer the noise of a good diesel (my first car was a Landrover).

The new SD is quicker and more responsive than the older one and a bit quieter which I don't agree is a good thing. I have test driven S and JCW models but I don't get the same excitement that most people get from hearing the pops and bangs and a barky exhaust - which again comes back to me saying it can come down to personal preference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm also a diesel guy.
Love the torque at low revs, but i have to say that turbocharged petrol engines nowadays are driving much more similar because they also have a lot of torque.
On daily drives it's just faster then a S because it's so easy to go fast, you don't have to work the engine.

The SD has a little more understeer, but I fixed that with an NM Engineering 25mm rear swaybar and Toyo R888 semi's 205-55/16.
Just ordered the craven speed big pair which will also give better turn in.
I'm also waiting for some good brake pads to complete my car so it will be a nice compromise between road and track.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Out of the entire line up of the MINI F56 range, the SD is the best all rounder in my opinion. The power is great and the smooth delivery its hard to beat, although the S is a tad faster I couldn't handle putting £40 of fuel in a week... With 0-62 in 7.1 seconds (S A/T) and an average of 42mpg round town and 67mpg on a long motorway run you can't complain. I considered the S but decided against for the fuel consumption.

I wouldn't change my engine choice, even if I could afford to run a JCW.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the continued info. It's good to hear both sides and I'm glad to say that nothing I have read or seen has made me regret going for the SD. From what I have read I think it will suit my driving style better. I have only had one diesel previously quite a few years ago, it was an Audi A4 1.9 tdi 130ps and I loved it so I'm defo looking forward to seeing what the Mini can do.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thanks for the continued info. It's good to hear both sides and I'm glad to say that nothing I have read or seen has made me regret going for the SD. From what I have read I think it will suit my driving style better. I have only had one diesel previously quite a few years ago, it was an Audi A4 1.9 tdi 130ps and I loved it so I'm defo looking forward to seeing what the Mini can do.

Cheers all.
Have you ordered your new toy?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Have you ordered your new toy?
Yep looking around 16 May for delivery. Seems like forever. I took a while to decide between S & SD and every now and then wonder whether I done the right thing but most seem to love it so I'm sure I will. No going back now anyway deal is done!

And just editing this post now as I just had a look at your spec Brandon. That could just as well be my car. I to went for Midnight Black Auto with the Cosmo Wheels. Took the Media pack with the HUD and also EDC with driving modes. It would be good to see a pic of yours as first thing I'm thinking doing is getting rear windows tinted.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts