·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jelster, I am with you on color and option packages. I guess Dealers just order what they can move so they do not have to pay too much in interest having them sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I think mini missed the mark on the new clubman, it resembles a dwarf countryman. The old version sort of hung on to the extended hot hatch look. There is some relevance to the name mini and BMW seems **** bent to make it something it is not. They are losing some of their loyal base. My .02!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Umm....except the recent sales numbers indicate the strongest growth has been for the Clubman and the Cabrio. Makes it hard to argue the Clubman missed the mark in that respect. If anything, it is the 2 and 4 door hardtops are dropping in sales in the U.S.

I am all too aware of the bemoaning of the new models by some MINI owners just as I have witnessed for every generation. I have been driving only MINIs since 2005 and own two of the previous generation models. My 2017 JCW Clubman has not disappointed .

Just curious, but how many F56s and F55s were unsold on the lot?

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Missed the mark mmm????cant agree really. swapped our f56 for one and I prefer it in every way and I didn't want to. We just love it!

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
The F54 really works for those with Mini in their blood, but the F56 doesn't fit/work.

Expanding famalies, those with interests that need a bigger boot, even some of us older folk that need access to a 4 door car (or 6 in this case :) ) It's much less frantic to drive and doesn't feel as fast. It does feel more up market and refined though.

I am thoroughly delighted with mine, and I was dubious, but had instructions from SWMBO that we needed a bigger car than the old F56.

I think that dealers are just not very good at ordering stock cars. Plus when I was ordering mine, a stock car was about £600-800 less than a new car specific for me. When you're spending £30+, that's not going to swing it, unless I found one with the right spec in the right colour(s), which I couldn't.

My local dealer has 4 F56 JCW's on their forecourt, all less than a year old, what does that tell you?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Yes, for the diehard O. F. miniphiles which includes me they are all too big! And, alas we are a dying breed and a tiny market share. I do love the new F56 JCW even though it is also too big, but the power and performance make up for that and I suppose for the clubbie fans as well. I will most likely have to get another F56 JCW before BMW changes the line as I am racking up the twisty miles in this one, it is addicting and reasonably sane fun and I want a reliable and guaranteed vehicle as I really don't have the tools or skills to work on this generation as I am ignorant of the electronics involved. The mini is still the best sporty car value around and it still has its distinct personality although somewhat diminished from the earlier ones. However, the reliability and power really have improved over previous years.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I see this from another viewpoint. I have not seen an F54 yet because the closest MINI dealer is where I bought my JCW and it's an hour away from me. That's probably a good thing cause I'd be dropping in all the time.....like Karl? :)

Here's the problem: MINI does NOT advertise!!!.....and with dealers few and far between here in the USA people are just ignorant to what MINI is offering!

There's a Honda, Kia or Toyota dealer in just about every town! Not MINI!

BMW would be "real smart" to present and service MINIs as well as BMWs....there's a BMW dealer 5 minutes from me!....I might even let them change my oil there! lol!

There must be a quirky marketing strategy by BMW to keep MINI in a "box" while they promote the BMW brand everywhere! One reason I bought the F56 is because my independent BMW mechanic advised me to "stay away" from used previous generation MINIs....he knew about the engine issues & build quality problems (not BMW quality!).

The 3rd gen MINI is better all around you must admit despite the pull on your heartstrings for the gen 1 & gen 2!

If MINI keeps building cars that can push $35k to $45k they MUST change their marketing strategy!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My local dealer has 4 F56 JCW's on their forecourt, all less than a year old, what does that tell you?

I'd think because there are more JCW's about than I can remember in Gen1 & 2's. There are loads of demo's and pre reg'd..

It just seems every weekend dealers, including MINI's own dealership, have a special weekend! To clear or try and clear unsold stock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, appears MINI USA is taking a beating in the land of "cheap gas" and ever larger vehicles. My Clubman looks miniscule in the parking lot. Maybe the F60 and change in advertising will help. At least, that appears to be the plan.

Have to admit I'm not thrilled about the US public's choices in vehicles, among other things. :(

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Lincoln seems a bit different. Was in the dealership yesterday,good mix of cars for sale but mostly 3and 5 doors one or two f54's but they were heaving at 2pm.we couldn't get to talk to anyone about our missing handbook! A young man waiting in. The ''queue "had gone in With the money to buy a countryman outright he told us. Jcw was his intent! As we left i overheard the salesman saying its so new we cant discount it. Fair does but it didnt look like they were struggling to sell cars.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I wasn't meaning they were struggling as such but it's the targets MINI are imposing on dealers that the only way they can meet them is by buying them and going into stock...

This is the reason that residuals are so low, becoming like Ford etc.

When I brought mine I was offered at least 6 that they had in stock but as none meet my exact requirement I had to order..

·
Registered
283 Posts
MINI and BMW do pre register and lease a lot of cars of all models to employees to meet sales targets and whilst this must affect residuals in the first year or so, many people now lease so they not too bothered as they don't pay the MRP price anyway. It does mean they can lease cars based on a high MRP price and offer substantial savings on nearly new cars to those who dont lease.

Having bought a Clubman, I do notice pre registered Clubmans on the forecourt more than other models so Im unsure if there are more Clubmans in dealers than other models. I will say however that I don't see that many Clubmans on the roads.
I seem to remember that the R60 Countryman took a while for sales to get going, so maybe that's the same with the Clubman.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine was like that. 6k miles and 6 months on the clock, retailed for 35k, bought it for 29. Overall I think it was a nice deal.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
MINI and BMW do pre register and lease a lot of cars of all models to employees to meet sales targets and whilst this must affect residuals in the first year or so, many people now lease so they not too bothered as they don't pay the MRP price anyway. It does mean they can lease cars based on a high MRP price and offer substantial savings on nearly new cars to those who dont lease.

Having bought a Clubman, I do notice pre registered Clubmans on the forecourt more than other models so Im unsure if there are more Clubmans in dealers than other models. I will say however that I don't see that many Clubmans on the roads.
I seem to remember that the R60 Countryman took a while for sales to get going, so maybe that's the same with the Clubman.
Clubman's are the new Countryman. They take a while to grow on you.
The Countryman not only sold to existing customers but attracted customers from other makes, I thought it sold well straight out of the box as always been a top seller behind hatches.

MINI/BMW to lease to employees but the dealers have their own targets which are high and the reason they end up registering them.

Surely the PCP/lease payments are set allowing for depreciation, some of the figures of up to £400mth are more than for higher quality makes.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Seeing as the F54 wasn't released until Oct 2015 the first batch of 12 month old used cars would not have reached dealers until October 2016, anyone on a 24 month lease would not have to swap cars until Oct 2017. They also would have taken a few months for initial orders to be fulfilled. I would suggest that is why a few batches of used cars are reaching dealers now.

I was looking at the used market for about 6 months until I found the right spec at the right price, saw a few of the early reviewed press cars go up for sale and then some good spec lower priced ex Mini employee cars.

There are some really nice bargains to be had, my car was about £10k less than it would have been brand new, and it only had 8k miles on the clock.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts