Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave the Cooper a quick wash/detail to make it look all pretty again (interior/exterior) and boy it is amazing how much plastic there is in them new cars today. Door panels dash glove box etc etc and under the hood it is not any better. Engine Covers Air filter housing tubes pipes locks etc etc. I guess ever piece of plastic will help to increase the MPG but also will probably break sooner as Alu or good old metal like in the old days. I start to wonder how much more plastic we can cramp into new cars.:|:|

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Concerns me in regards to the environment.. I feel like all countries should start acting like Norway and the Netherlands which insist on increased research and production of electric cars.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
There is a lot of plastic I agree and will get worse as manufacture try to lighten cars with plastics and carbonfibre when more electric vehicle appear.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are a lot of plastics that are stronger than aluminium, especially when you consider fatigue and chemical actions in conjunction with mechanical stresses. Most Ferrari/Maserati vehicles from 2020 onwards will have plastic control arms and steering links, so I wouldn't really worry too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Concerns me in regards to the environment.. I feel like all countries should start acting like Norway and the Netherlands which insist on increased research and production of electric cars.
Think about it.

An electric car will have a substantial amount of plastic parts on it because of the weight/cost savings will afford them a more reasonable asking price/better performance of the car. Plastic isn't going anywhere. Manufacturers will have to try and adopt the way Subaru and BMW handle their ecological footprint when it comes to plastics (such as building each individual piece as needed instead of huge numbers of parts in a "parts bin" at the factory.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I am sure i read somewhere the economic impact of building an electric car like a prius was massively greater than a standard car and that in fact we should all be keeping one car for as long as possible regardless of its economy because the building of it is far greater co2 wise than the impact of running it; hey ho! IMO electric cars like Teslas are the best way to go but of course we need pollution free electricity generation eg solar /wind/water (why oh why don't they resurrect the water mills) and wave. Until they're comparitive on price , range and recharging however they will only be suitable for town owners or second car owner-but they are getting there!

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Most of the BMW i3 is of course plastic-(with carbon fibre reinforcement of course!!!)feels like a very high quality car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts