Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to solve a few problems by updating the Mini's software. I updated it about a month ago, and when I checked the website today it was still the same update. I know this because it's the same file name as before. However a few things have confused me. I thought maybe they had updated the software package but kept the name the same, so I downloaded it again and put it on my usb stick again. However when I plugged it into the car it said that the software was not suitable for my vehicle. This is strange because I put my VIN in on the Mini website, and it was presumably the same software as before, so should have just reinstalled and worked.

Anyway, I assumed that I must have the latest software from when I downloaded it before. However, the screenshot I've attached below is from the associated instructions regarding the software I downloaded. It gives 3 variants that could have been installed depending on the car. However the one that installed is none of these! It has the number 5 in it, which is weird as none of those given have a 5!

So basically I'm confused as it seems the software installed on my mini isn't one of the ones shown in the instructions, and the website keeps giving me the same software package. Anyone else experienced this??

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where are you getting the software update?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've just downloaded (last night) update UPD05073 from the Mini site, installed successfully. Resulting software displayed in car is

Media - MN-002.255.071
Phone - TN-002.255.070

(F56 MCS)

What update version is currently showing for you when you pit the Vin number in? And what model do you have? (not sure if this should make a difference)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a Cooper D, Media XL Nav version registered/PDI'd mid Sept 2015 and I have;

MB-001.044.001
TB-001.044.001

Maps;
Europa BMW Group
Road Map EUROPE EVO 2015-3+
NBTevo_D15252I

When I enter the last seven digits of my VIN the BMW site (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/co...mobile_devices/bluetooth_software_update.html) says my software us up to date.

When i enter my VIN at the mini site (http://www.mini.com/connectivity/softwareupdate/index.html) i can download an update file UPD05073 (90.10mb) but whenever I try and install it it tells me the file on the USB is defective.

I've tried different re-downloading it and on different USB sticks so it seems i'm stuck withe above versions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Actually, the MV-110.4.10, TV-110.4.10 is replaced with the MV-110.5.10, TV-110.5.10 which is probably the same, or they have made a mistake in typing and no-one realized it until now... Another thought is that the 4 and 5 is the exact same version, but they named it differently due to some production abnormality. Meaning that some Vehicles, had the latest version already factory installed before the new version became available and in order not to have two versions with same number they switched 4 with 5. I think that something like that happened because in my case, they sent me a HU with factory installed improved version, and a couple of days later, the new version became available for download. This only appears to the cars produced at the specific period, not to all. When was yours produced? This could support my hypothesis...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My software version on the car is: TV-110.005.010 and MV-110.005.010. Which was none of the ones in the associated pdf. The software file i'm given when I put my VIN on the website is called UPD07012, and was the same file about a month ago when I first downloaded it.

And it's a Cooper with visual boost

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's probably just as well - downloading an update from Mini USA and applying it to a European market car sounds like a good way of bricking it.
It shouldn't make a difference as you have to put your VIN number in so it knows where the car is from. I downloaded my update from the .com site and it installed fine a month ago. .com is the only place to get the updates

·
Registered
95 Posts
My software version on the car is: TV-110.005.010 and MV-110.005.010. Which was none of the ones in the associated pdf. The software file i'm given when I put my VIN on the website is called UPD07012, and was the same file about a month ago when I first downloaded it.

And it's a Cooper with visual boost
I have a visual boost too with controls an the steering (which doesn't work with the iOS 9.0.2 by the way) and NO extended bluetooth. I had a problem since day 1 connecting it to my iPhone 5s, 4s, 6. They replaced the HU a couple of times and didn't solve the problem. Then a couple of months later (3 if I recall correctly) they sent a preinstalled new firmware in a new HU (same series ...306) and replaced my old. This fixed the problem. A few days later the 7012.bin was available for download. I just say that if you have the same configuration and same HU, there was an in-between version which mixed the names which is 4 for everyone else and 5 for cases like ours. So if production date or firmware with HU # and config are alike, maybe -just maybe- this is the reason why this happened. Otherwise it remains a mystery... By the way, since you downloaded it does it have any function that the previous version didn't?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The updater is intelligent enough to not brick your car

That's probably just as well - downloading an update from Mini USA and applying it to a European market car sounds like a good way of bricking it.
If you read the "information about this software update" doc, you'll see that there are multiple versions of the software release. They are for different vehicles in different parts of the world. The software update is provided based on your vin, and the installer uses the correct version based on your car. You won't brick it.

I've just downloaded this update for my own Mini. There are a few notes about improving connectivity to devices and metadata from media tracks. I'm hoping it fixes the problems I've had in these areas.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've just updated the software and sadly it didn't fix the problem I've had with playing music on my Android over USB. Sometimes, when I connect the USB cable & Connected connects, I can play music with no problem. Other times, like tonight, the app is playing music but no sound comes out of my Mini speakers. Hopefully tomorrow it will work on my drive into the office. I really wish BMW would get its act together & stabilize this app.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm getting loads of bugs like this when plugged in. Using an old iphone so it must be the connected side of the app. I'm constantly getting the running apps stopping and starting which renders ones like streetwise useless. I even had the screen do a reboot whilst I was driving the other day. Was worried as I thought the while car was turning off!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts