Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I am looking for a bit of advice on sound systems. I just ordered a fairly loaded Cooper S, but was unsure if I should get the upgraded sound system. Its fairly pricey ($750). Wanted to get some advice on if its really worth it.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
I totally love it. Tbh it was the looks that finally swayed it for me as the sound I'd only significantly better when loud. I'm not talking about the std 4 speaker system here tho. . The tweeters look great in the front pillars and the rears break up the b ack panels so nicely.Swayed me. Visual boost isn't bad,at a ll 2 sub woofers, under each front seat two door speakers two rears. Sounds good but the hk system adds two rear tweeters two front pillar tweeters better subs a 400 w amp and th e killer blow two dash speakers in the middle top of the dash. The thing produces c the best stereo image I have ever heard in a car but to be sure visit your d e aler and do a direct comparison as I di d . Of course I think you get the 20 gb hard drive too or is that with media xl. Need to c check t h at!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nicely put jb. The answer to the question though is clearly: depends. Depends on what you call "worth it" and if you appreciate better-than-average sound. Like most options it's overpriced. Other threads have pointed out it's not a true audiophile system. But, that said, if I hadn't got it I would forever be kicking myself in the butt. I don't want to be bothered with custom retrofitted systems so this is the best compromise to get upgraded sound. Unlike you, however, my non-S is minimally specced; the HK was a must though in the few options I did get. It's a tough decision after you have splurged on all those other goodies. Let us know how you go.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Fully agree with veg biker. Not cheap but will you always wish..........

·
Registered
147 Posts
Visual Boost is a fairly decent system I'd say.
Coming from the R56, it was absolutely dire.
I really like the boost, and as a music lover I'm right picky.
I did spec HK in the new 3 series last year and it's fantastic, but didn't bother with it for the new MINI.
I'm not disappointed, in the last 2x R56 cars I used to turn the stereo off coz it was that bad, I can finally turn my music up again.
Bring a bit of decent music to the dealers and try both cars if available. Have a play with the settings and crank them up.
There probably won't be much comparison TBH, but at least you can figure out if Boost is good enough.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
I agree Derry milk, the vis boost is very decent. Think the std 4 speaker set up may sound thin though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself much of an audiophile. I don't usually notice any difference. I do notice the difference with this system. I have no regrets about getting the HK system.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Only 3 days in to my new life as Minnie Driver, but loving every minute I spend in The BRG. From what people have said, I've no doubt that the HK system sounds great, but I was put off by the high price tag and decided to stick with the Visual Boost (6 speakers) which I'd heard at the dealer's and thought 'good enough'. I've no regrets whatsoever: sounds like a car stereo, but a pretty decent one, whatever music I put through it. As others have commented before, you do notice a big difference between different quality Audio files. Some of the standard MPEG files I've played have sounded very tinny, but anything in ACC sounds great to me (though I don't crank it up too loud: don't want to miss out on the glorious thrum of that engine!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I totally love it. Tbh it was the looks that finally swayed it for me as the sound I'd only significantly better when loud. ...
I totally agree with that. For me, too, the HK really (and maybe only? I don't have the comparison...) starts to shine at higher volumes. In my case that means 2/3 to 3/4 (I've never had a car stereo like that, most would be too loud for me before reaching 1/2). So if you prefer your music at lower volumes the 6 speaker system may suffice.
For me personally it's a must have! \m/

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I've been very critical of the HK speaker upgrade. Why add a 12 speaker option, then give us no extra control (Mid control, Subwoofer volume control, center speaker volume control, etc.).

Wicket: Bass to Max? Our cars must be different. ;-) To twist an expression--Your mileage DEFINITELY varies! That would be intolerable in mine. Having said that, you car is your palace and I'm glad it works for you!

All that aside, I still wouldn't pass on the HK upgrade. It's not as bad as I've illustrated! The tuner sounds crappy, but that's another story. Hehe.

JP

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
That's v true quiller my bass is around 60% . We're all different . I think my dab tuner sounds super though..[

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Ironically, it might be that twelve speakers work against our/U.S. AM (mono) stations. They're typically talk radio and sound odd. I haven't tried FM (stereo)--too busy vibing to my iPad/Bluetooth!

JP

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Aha yes am is still available here but very poor quality. Fm or dab sounds great.

Reactions: quiller
1 - 16 of 16 Posts