Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my MINI Cooper S Hardtop for a week and a half now, and I'm loving it!

However, over the past couple of days, I've noticed something strange. When I get in the car (key fob isn't touching anything) it repeatedly sounds like like the doors are unlocking (although they are already unlocked, so its just that dull sound). It's like something is tripping the sensor or as if the key fob was being pushed, but its not.

The first time it stopped after it made the noise a few times and I drove away like normal. Then later today on a long drive, it would periodically make the sound like it was unlocking the doors. Sometimes when I would take off from a stop at light, other times just while I was cruising.

The last time I got in the car (this evening) it didn't do it at all.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, and if so, is there a way to fix it? Help!

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
No that's odd. Mind you minis do things even after you have opened the car eg the vents if you have the air on on clunk open or shut, on opening the doors the fuel pump primes the engine, then after you leave it the pumps still cool the car etc etc. Don't assume it's the locks though of course it could be, is anything open are you sure key fobs ok ie not sticking etc etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
As an idea - how about using your other key for a while to see if there's an issue with the fob or the car?
At least that way you can start to eliminate issues one by one and the simplest would be swapping the keys over.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The sound you describe is the doors actually locking about 30 secs or so after starting the car and driving. You can access the menu and alter this if you wish. On further reading your post it could also relate to something completely random such as what JB as described.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Yes of course forgot once you reach a certain speed the doors lock. Good idea to try a different fob though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know my in my MINI the doors lock after I start driving. The issue I have is that when I unlock the car and get in, the passenger door stays locked. So the passenger has to wait for me to unlock their door before they can get in. I'm assuming this is a safety feature, maybe, to avoid some stranger jumping into the car with you. Is there any way to program it so both doors open when I unlock the door?

The other issue I have is that the door doesn't always lock when I push down on the black button (I have comfort access). I usually have to push the black button twice for the door to lock.

Lastly, is there any way to have the doors lock automatically when I walk away from the car? This happens with the trunk (boot), it locks on its own once I am a certain distance away, and then unlocks when I am close to the car with the key fob in my bag.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I know my in my MINI the doors lock after I start driving. The issue I have is that when I unlock the car and get in, the passenger door stays locked. So the passenger has to wait for me to unlock their door before they can get in. I'm assuming this is a safety feature, maybe, to avoid some stranger jumping into the car with you. Is there any way to program it so both doors open when I unlock the door?
USA manual, page 42.

Unlocking
The settings are saved in the active profile. Personal
Profile, refer to page 35.
Doors
1. "Settings"
2. "Doors/key"
3. Select the symbol.
4. Select the desired function.
▷ "Driver's door only"
Only the driver's door and the fuel filler
flap are unlocked. Pressing again unlocks
the entire vehicle.
▷ "All doors"
The entire vehicle is unlocked.
▷ "Comfort access"
The entire vehicle is unlocked. Pressing
again lowers the window when the
door is subsequently opened.

There are more settings in the same area of the manual that may apply to your other questions.

·
Registered
844 Posts
In addition to uke's post, you lock the doors using the button by the door release lever. It looks like a padlock symbol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don' t think it is actually locking and unlocking. You know the somewhat muted sound it makes if you hit unlock and the doors are already unlocked? That's what I'm hearing, but multiple times in a row.

I do hear the doors lock when I drive away, I know that's normal. But I'm hearing this unlock noise usually right after I get in the car and it will happen a couple of times and then stop. It didn't do this for the first week or so, nor does it do it every time I get in the car, which is why I don't think it is the car adjusting other things. It definitely sounds like the doors are being unlocked a couple of times, even though they are already unlocked.

I'll try using the other fob and see what happens. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you still having this problem?

I have exactly the same issue and the car IS unlocking itself and continuing to try to do so multiple times. I counted and it did it 102 times on my way to work this morning.

I took the car to the dealer in October who ultimately said it was a known problem for which they were waiting a software patch from BMW. They were supposed to call me back when it was ready. Just chased them up today and the car is now booked in for the update on Tuesday. Will let you know if it fixes the problem...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Car is still unlocking itself...

Are you still having this problem?

I have exactly the same issue and the car IS unlocking itself and continuing to try to do so multiple times. I counted and it did it 102 times on my way to work this morning.

I took the car to the dealer in October who ultimately said it was a known problem for which they were waiting a software patch from BMW. They were supposed to call me back when it was ready. Just chased them up today and the car is now booked in for the update on Tuesday. Will let you know if it fixes the problem...

@Hrafn I am still having the same problem. I took my car into the dealership, in which it took them days to witness the malfunction. And yes, mine too is actually unlocking itself, I've witnessed the little lever in the door go up and down, and then continue to try and unlock after it was already unlocked.

After finally witnessing the problem, the dealership did a software update (although in their first call to me after dropping the car off, they told me that my car was up to date...). Unfortunately, the problem continues. I have e-mailed and called my dealer and received no response. I'll be calling again on Monday to speak to a manager. I'm worried, however, that there is nothing they can do, since they don't seem to really know what is causing the problem.

Hopefully the software update works for you, let me know how it goes.

Small tip: I turned off the auto-lock when you drive away feature, and it seems to only unlock/lock itself a couple times, instead of 10-15 times when it does happen. Hopefully it might help your situation of 102 times in one drive, wow!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Problem fixed.

Got a software update at the dealership on the 10th and it has not done an errant unlock once since then. Wanted to wait at least a week before posting because it would occasionally go a day or two without doing anything. This is the longest it has been silent since I got the car in October, so I'm calling it resolved.

(BTW it also seems to have fixed a problem with how the doors would lock and unlock inconsistently with the button on the external door handle.)

Good luck and I hope you can get yours sorted out too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts