Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking into what is required to get the JCW brake kit fitted to my MCS and looking at what options are available to me...

I have 17x7 ET54 Cosmos style 499 wheels which came with the car and I've read that these won't clear the brakes (after fitting) but as an option rather than have to get rid of them is to perhaps use spacers to clear them.

I read somewhere on the forum that the track spoke wheels (style 562) which were not designed to fit over the JCW brakes (unlike style 501) can use 15mm spacers to clear them but can't find any info on the Cosmos wheels if 15mm is enough?

If I do get the JCW brake option I will probably get a set of third party wheels to fit over the brakes and use this set as winter wheels assuming they can fit without it looking silly!

PS I also plan to lower the car either Eibachs or KW (use EDC cancellation kit) if I go all out for modifying :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went to my local dealer today, who had a few JCW Mini's, with my tape measure (sad I know ha) and measured the distance between the brake disc and the inner part of the spoke and it measures 60mm and that had around 4mm clearance to the caliper.

I measured my own Cosmos wheel inner spoke gap to the disc and it measures 46-47mm which suggests that I need 13-14mm spacer to clear the JCW caliper if my calculations are right.

There is the possibility that the actual brake disc on the JCW is thicker than the Cooper S disc but we are maybe talking small amount either way.

I suspect anyone wanting wheels to fit over the JCW brakes, 60mm is what is required if you measure from the brake disc to the inner spoke, you can probably get to 58mm is you want to push it but another thing to consider if the shape of the inner spoke, so you may have to measure around a certain area where you think the caliper will be positioned.

Hope that may help others with the nightmare of fitting wheels over the huge calipers!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It may be harder to measure with the wheel mounted on the car but the distance from the mounting surface to the inside spoke would be more accurate, and as the pads wear there will be more clearance of course. I measured my spare 18" cup spoke a while back but I don't recall what it was.....that would be pretty accurate when comparing to aftermarket wheels for proper clearance. Offset is also important, but that can get complicated depending on the wheel style & tires fitted. It's just tough.....no easy answer unfortunately. NM is the only company that I know of other than ACS 19"s who make a nice 18" wheel specifically for the JCW.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
NM is the only company that I know of other than ACS 19"s who make a nice 18" wheel specifically for the JCW.
Been doing quite a bit of research and this is my list so far for options that I like (mostly 17's)

I'm still on the fence if I am wanting the sleeper (OEM) look (a reason I chose the MCS over the JCW) hence wanting my Cosmos wheels to be an option or to go with a aftermarket look with obvious advantages of reducing unsprung weight....

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK found some additional information regarding my measurements -

JCW rotors are 335 x 30mm, versus the Cooper S's 294 x 22mm

So that would mean that (assuming one not worn out compared to other) that an additional 4mm clearance is needed as the Cooper S discs are thinner by 8mm

That would mean I need a 17-18mm spacer for the OEM Cosmos 499 wheels if my calculations are right which would push the wheels out similar to the third party wheels listed above

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
They also make a 17" wheel to clear the BBK.

True, I was only thinking about 18"s. Those are great looking wheels & the JCW MINI race team runs those I believe.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally, what spacers did you install?? I´ve exactly the same problem right now
I ended up replacing the wheels with JCW Race spoke 498 wheels.

I think you would need 20mm spacers for Cosmos wheels to clear but this may look odd on a car that's not lowered personally

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts