Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got the new 3 or 5 door with a spacesaver wheel/tyre - my 2008 Clubman has one and it's nicely buried out of the way leaving all the storage space available. It seems that the design is now to just bolt it to the floor in the boot of the car. Obviously very easy to get at if it's needed - but for the rest of the time it just occupies a load of storage space.

I think I read something about there being a recall in the USA so it may have been that the design was flawed. Anyone with one fitted? Could you please let me know what the arrangement/design is

Many thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2014 Cooper and the spare is mounted to the underside of the boot and covered by a plastic tray so no boot space is used up. You do have to get to the tool kit area in the bottom of the boot to lower it to the ground. The recall was for the retaining nut which I think was changed to a self locking nut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Helicopter Pat - Thanks for the reply ... I'll take it up with the dealer next time I'm there, sadly they seem less well informed than the average buyer who does a bit of research on the vehicle. It did seem a little odd that the wheel was bolted to the boot floor. It was possibly done so that the salesman could see that the 'prereg' vehicle had a spacesaver with it, but when I asked about it I was told that that's where it was kept!
They didn't know that you when you bought the chili pack you could opt for a lower spec alloy wheel (the pot holes around here are terrible!) - as well as reducing the possibility of damaged alloys this also improves the mpg and could even keep you in a lower UK VED band.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The 3 and 5 door Coopers will have the spare on the bottom of the car so you don't sacrifice any boot space. On the Cooper S models however, there is no option for a spare tire at all unless you want to buy one and throw it in the boot. The Clubman also doesn't with a spare, but is available as an option or to retrofit. Unfortunately, it takes up space under the boot floor either way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 3 and 5 door Coopers will have the spare on the bottom of the car so you don't sacrifice any boot space. On the Cooper S models however, there is no option for a spare tire at all unless you want to buy one and throw it in the boot. The Clubman also doesn't with a spare, but is available as an option or to retrofit. Unfortunately, it takes up space under the boot floor either way.
Our Mini S f55 is on it's maiden voyage and we are still stuck on the idea that there's no spare tire, I've experienced 2 tire blowouts in my lifetime(Michelins of all brands for this experience) but had a spare tire for the change. I'm thinking of getting the space saver tire, associated tools and having to store all somewhere in the boot section.

If the space saver spare which I think is ~22" in diameter, I was wondering if it would fit being laid down in the boot section. I've searched the internet but only read the cubic ft. storage measurement of the boot area in either rear seat configuration with no mention of the rear boot length/width dimensions? Would anyone with the f55 S have the length/width of the boot section? It's a matter of having Peace of Mind, not having to worry about a flat less a Blowout.:| I hate the thought of running on flat runflat tires with the chance of ruining expensive 17" rims. Yikes!:( Since this is my SO's daily driver I could live with wheel curb rash/burns at most. lol

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You would have to have both rear seats down for it to lay completely flat

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Runflats have improved beyond all recognition. We have them on our f54 and the ride is great . stick to 50 mph and they should be fine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts