Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my key the other day and it went under the drivers seat.When I got down on my hands and knees to retrieve it I noticed some cables (I dont have power seats) and what seems like a speaker grille.
Is there a speaker here and if so what for?
Loving my mini to date.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I dropped my key the other day and it went under the drivers seat.When I got down on my hands and knees to retrieve it I noticed some cables (I dont have power seats) and what seems like a speaker grille.
Is there a speaker here and if so what for?
Loving my mini to date.
Think Ive found the answer in another thread -its a bass speaker?
You have base speakers under the seats if you have either of these combinations:

- Harman Kardon with any Radio
- Visual Boost with/without Harman Kardon
- Media XL with/without Harman Kardon

If you just have the base radio then you have no speakers under the seats.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
The real problem is they put speakers under the seat (GREAT) they give you NO CONTROL over them at all.. then they only feed (fact from mini docs) 27 watts to both.. WHY bother..

The best thing is all speaker wires run to the drivers rear of the car so there will be some changes in a few months.. I just don't understand why companies do crap like that.. If they said the system was $500.00 more with a true EQ to control your sound.. Mosy real people that like the drive would say sure!..

Sigh.. Yes they are 7.5" also....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wait, Im confused. I have a standard stereo in my f56, however it has 6 speakers. No media XL package or visual boost. Are we sure all F56 models don't have 6 speakers? I remember reading that 6 speakers were standard. My F55 with basic radio also has 6 speakers.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The real problem is they put speakers under the seat (GREAT) they give you NO CONTROL over them at all.. then they only feed (fact from mini docs) 27 watts to both.. WHY bother..

The best thing is all speaker wires run to the drivers rear of the car so there will be some changes in a few months.. I just don't understand why companies do crap like that.. If they said the system was $500.00 more with a true EQ to control your sound.. Mosy real people that like the drive would say sure!..

Sigh.. Yes they are 7.5" also....
Wait, Im confused. I have a standard stereo in my f56, however it has 6 speakers. No media XL package or visual boost. Are we sure all F56 models don't have 6 speakers? I remember reading that 6 speakers were standard. My F55 with basic radio also has 6 speakers.
Rob I feel like you may get a better standard specification over in the US. Across the pond in the UK we have to pay for pretty much everything... So consider yourself lucky having 6 speakers as standard - unless that speaker set up comes as part of a pack that your car has.

Scampula I somewhat agree, I would have liked to go in to the menu and sound settings and see something different to my previous F56 with the 6 speaker set up. Even though you can only change the treble, bass and balance it still sounds good but having more control over the sound would be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Alpha I bought the Harmon kardon due the looks .or should I say the looks swung it afeter hearing both!real class with bonus of good sounds . Things have changed I think as not looked for a while and heard rumour that vis boost is now standard but originally on the three door

std was two a speaker in each door and one under each front seat for.lower frequencies

vis boost added an extra speaker in rear sides,and of course we have the 12 speaker yummy hk system. The five door I think had rear passenger speakers even as base.

Reactions: opal

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
you have three standards now.

basic 6 speraker doors and under seat
olds/new 10 speaker adds 4 tweeters by downsizing the rear from 4 to three than adds two tweeters, and adds speakers to upper doors.
New upgrade on series 3 12 speakers adds a mid base to middle of front door.

Problem is all these changes EVEN in new Clubman is bass/treble/balance.. You would think an upgrade would be a simple program change..

(ANYBODY LISTENING OUT THERE)?? WE all want "MID ADJUST!!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
So here are the specifications for the Harman / Kardon 12-speaker system:

Harman Kardon DSP amplifier and Class-D technology at 400 watts total output
Class-D Technology (can anybody explain this in layperson language?)

5x26mm metal-matrix dome tweeters, front and side rear
5 x 100mm ALumaprene midrange speakers, front and side rear

and most importantly....the discovery that kicked off this thread....
2 x 217mm woofers (central bass), beneath rear seats

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is my 3rd BMW sound system. My E91 3-series on standard speakers and head sounded so awful that I paid for the business speakers upgrade for my F10 5-series. And those speakers were *very* good.

And now my F56 in standard speakers. Which to be honest are fine - not the best system ever but perfectly ok for such a small car.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.