Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been facing this failures for a year. These 2 failures pop up frequently. They last for 10 seconds and disappears. It occurs nearly every time intermittently.

I asked the local dealer but they couldn’t solve the problem. Do you have any ideas?

best regards.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the cruise control failure message after the dealer fixed my horn. I believe it turned out to be the “slip ring” within the steering wheel assembly that was at fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the cruise control failure message after the dealer fixed my horn. I believe it turned out to be the “slip ring” within the steering wheel assembly that was at fault.
I also used to have a “horn problem”. The dealer said it might happened due to dust. He solved by vacuuming the dust in the steering wheel. I also had a “crack” on the steering wheel steel ring.

Do you still have this failure or did you fix it by refurbishing the “slip ring” ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also used to have a “horn problem”. The dealer said it might happened due to dust. He solved by vacuuming the dust in the steering wheel. I also had a “crack” on the steering wheel steel ring.

Do you still have this failure or did you fix it by refurbishing the “slip ring” ?
Horn issues are common on these cars......something to do with corrosion on the contacts I believe. The cruise control failure happened the second time I started the car after the dealer cleaned the horn contacts.

I called the dealer and spoke to the technician who immediately told me it was likely the slip ring. I took it back a few days later and they either fixed or replaced the slip ring as far as I know. I didn’t ask them exact details when I picked it up, I’m just going on what they told me when I called them.

It may not be the same issue, but it’s worth mentioning if they haven’t already looked at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got this at the moment on my '16 F55 Cooper. Occurs frequently within a few seconds of a left or right turn. The steering wheel audio controls also become unresponsive. I've bought a new slip-ring for self fitting which should cure the fault. Haven't got round to fitting it yet mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did buy the slip ring? Can you send a link to me so I could check the name and I find.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Secondhand from a breaker (aletechnika) on eBay - although looks unused as still had the red anti-tamper part on it to stop it spinning in transit. Came with the wiper and indicator switches too

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is a recognized fault on F series Minis, it the clock spring that fails, replaceable under warranty for free, Dealers have had an alert from Mini for it 🤫

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

I am a little bit confused about slip ring and clock spring. Are they same spare parts?

Or;

this is slip ring

and

is this clock spring?
is this clock spring?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I believe the bottom picture is the slip ring, the top picture is just the assembly it goes it. The clock spring is inside the slip ring. You replace the whole unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts

"Coil spring cartidge" is another name for it, part no. 4216268.

Replaced mine at the weekend (picture is what I removed), fault now fixed. Fairly straight forward job - hardest part was removing the steering wheel airbag!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts