Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been facing this failures for a year. These 2 failures pop up frequently. They last for 10 seconds and disappears. It occurs nearly every time intermittently.

I asked the local dealer but they couldn’t solve the problem. Do you have any ideas?

best regards.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the cruise control failure message after the dealer fixed my horn. I believe it turned out to be the “slip ring” within the steering wheel assembly that was at fault.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the cruise control failure message after the dealer fixed my horn. I believe it turned out to be the “slip ring” within the steering wheel assembly that was at fault.
I also used to have a “horn problem”. The dealer said it might happened due to dust. He solved by vacuuming the dust in the steering wheel. I also had a “crack” on the steering wheel steel ring.

Do you still have this failure or did you fix it by refurbishing the “slip ring” ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also used to have a “horn problem”. The dealer said it might happened due to dust. He solved by vacuuming the dust in the steering wheel. I also had a “crack” on the steering wheel steel ring.

Do you still have this failure or did you fix it by refurbishing the “slip ring” ?
Horn issues are common on these cars......something to do with corrosion on the contacts I believe. The cruise control failure happened the second time I started the car after the dealer cleaned the horn contacts.

I called the dealer and spoke to the technician who immediately told me it was likely the slip ring. I took it back a few days later and they either fixed or replaced the slip ring as far as I know. I didn’t ask them exact details when I picked it up, I’m just going on what they told me when I called them.

It may not be the same issue, but it’s worth mentioning if they haven’t already looked at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got this at the moment on my '16 F55 Cooper. Occurs frequently within a few seconds of a left or right turn. The steering wheel audio controls also become unresponsive. I've bought a new slip-ring for self fitting which should cure the fault. Haven't got round to fitting it yet mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did buy the slip ring? Can you send a link to me so I could check the name and I find.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Secondhand from a breaker (aletechnika) on eBay - although looks unused as still had the red anti-tamper part on it to stop it spinning in transit. Came with the wiper and indicator switches too

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a recognized fault on F series Minis, it the clock spring that fails, replaceable under warranty for free, Dealers have had an alert from Mini for it 🤫

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

I am a little bit confused about slip ring and clock spring. Are they same spare parts?

Or;

this is slip ring

and

is this clock spring?
is this clock spring?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts