Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on the way home from work tonight, stuck in traffic, when I looked down at the HUD and the speed limit was showing 80mph! Max speed limit anywhere in the
UK is 70, there is no such speed limit as 80.

Anyone else had something like this happen? Pic of the HUD display attached

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Was on the way home from work tonight, stuck in traffic, when I looked down at the HUD and the speed limit was showing 80mph! Max speed limit anywhere in the

Any liability if you were doing 80 as per the HUD, and should have been reading 70 and something happened as a result of bad information ? A flaw in the HUD technology ? Bad info coming into the HUD or the HUD software has issues, one or the other ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is the F56 speed limit display actually any use?

I believe it is solely based on visual detection of recent speed limit signs (ie, via driver assist camera), with no satnav input, so while it might be good at detecting temporary speed limits that are well signed, I've always imagined it would be fairly poor at general speed limits with little signage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There were no roadworks, I was just stuck in heavy Bank Holiday weekend traffic.

As for liability, you'd be screwed as you should be looking at the road signs themselves and not what the car tells you. They are just a guide. And very useful if you're on an unfamiliar road and you missed the sign. I've tested it quite a bit as I wasn't convinced how accurate it was and it's never been wrong before. Even on roads where I've missed a sign myself, it's spotted it. It even knows the difference between a single carriageway and a dual carriageway on a National Speed Limit road.

I would have thought on a UK car there wouldn't even be the option of displaying an 80 limit as there is no such thing here.

I might pop into the dealer and see what they say. Perhaps it needs an eye test :D

·
Registered
20 Posts

Maybe it read it off some vehicle standing in front of your car. They usually have small speed signs on the trailers. My BMW keeps doing that (especially since you mentioned you were stuck in traffic. Was there a truck from central europe (km/h) infront of you?)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Maybe it read it off some vehicle standing in front of your car. They usually have small speed signs on the trailers. My BMW keeps doing that (especially since you mentioned you were stuck in traffic. Was there a truck from central europe (km/h) in front of you?)
That's the great thing about advanced technology - it keeps you entertained trying to understand how it behaves as it does. Reverse engineering the stop/start logic can take hours - for example, if you haven't got your seat belt on (I visit rural properties with gates on their access roads), it won't stop the engine. Or if you have triggered a brake wear sensor on a R56, it won't let you engage the cruise control!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest I don't remember what was in front of me but I'm sure it wouldn't have been a car with an 80 sign on the back as I would have made that connection myself as I was looking round me to see what I could see that it mistook for an 80 limit. I couldn't see anything. Would the camera pick up something which is obviously not going to be where a road sign should be i.e. right in front of me? Or does it just scan towards the sides of the road or above where you'd expect a road sign to be?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.