Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Just to throw it in there. I have a cooper S with no engine mods as yet. When i had the standard exhaust in sport mode i had the same, very little pops and bangs at higher motorway speeds. Ive since swapped the exhaust for a JCW exhaust and it now pops and bangs at the higher speeds. I don't think there is anything to worry about.
I'm expecting slightly more pops and bangs after the engine remap. Just need them to open again now from this lockdown so i can get it done

This thread has got me confused now? Is this exhaust noise only related to manual cars or do you need to have an uprated exhaust fitted?

Got an F54 Cooper S, with the 7 speed DCT box and had the chance to try it out today. Radio off, windows down, manual mode, Sport mode selected, 5k rpm, lift off aaaand, nothing. No pops or crackles at all?

Disappointed of Droitwich!

Discussion starter · #23 · (Edited)
There are a few things going on here. From what I've gathered "LCI" cars (in certain countries) do not do any purposeful popping from the exhaust whatsoever because of a particulate filter, at least in some countries apparently. If LCI and the filter apply to you then this thread isn't relevant.

Pre-LCI, for manual and auto MCS and JCW as far as I know, Mini programmed in the pops and crackles for sport mode to "enhance" the experience (for better or worse), which are instigated by lifting off the throttle.

Lots of talk about exhausts because (1) you can hear the pops WAY more, and (2) the JCW exhaust comes with an optional mild tune (as far as I know), so "having the JCW exhaust" may mean the mild tune is also applied, which may or may not be relevant to my original post. Otherwise, no, any mention of aftermarkets exhaust is only about how loud the pops sound relative to stock.

For my car, a 2016 MCS, Pre-LCI, stock engine/ECU, manual, in sport mode, it is very very clear that above 70mph there is zero popping, and under 70mph it pops and bangs like crazy when lifting off. My original post was basically asking "is this normal or not", it generally seems like yes but it's hard to say with tunes since some people claim it pops even at high speeds. The toggling on and off is annoying to me and has no reason I can think of to be speed-dependent.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Regardless of how (ECU is "programmed" to control it whether fuel or timing) or if it's beneficial to performance...

If it is beneficial to performance... WHY stop doing it at >70mph?

If it is not beneficial to performance and just for fun noises... WHY stop doing it at >70mph?

This thread has got me confused now? Is this exhaust noise only related to manual cars or do you need to have an uprated exhaust fitted?

Got an F54 Cooper S, with the 7 speed DCT box and had the chance to try it out today. Radio off, windows down, manual mode, Sport mode selected, 5k rpm, lift off aaaand, nothing. No pops or crackles at all?

Disappointed of Droitwich!
Have you got a new car with a GPF? Think they’re quieter in a first few thousand miles. Also 5K RPM might be too high, try around 3-4. Warm exhaust for about 7mins. Good way to test it out is on your drive after you’ve been out. Mine’s a manual so not sure of what gear your auto should be in for stationary pops.

Have you got a new car with a GPF? Think they’re quieter in a first few thousand miles. Also 5K RPM might be too high, try around 3-4. Warm exhaust for about 7mins. Good way to test it out is on your drive after you’ve been out. Mine’s a manual so not sure of what gear your auto should be in for stationary pops.
The car is a Jan 19, (we've had since Dec) so I guess it does have a particle filter? Current mileage is less than 3,500 miles, so let's see, but I had warmed up before trying (about 6 miles from home). It does have a Neutral position.

May be at high speed unburnt fuel doesn't exist? I took out r57 out last night and it's the same for a full on Italian tune up. In fact it rarely pops over 50 to 60 , the faster you go after a point the fewer the pops. Doesn't pop much at walking pace either. Don't think you have an issue.

Reactions: vicvo
mine also has the gpf/ppf filter and it is naff, no pops bangs or burbles its completely silent, really annoyed about it but there is not much i can do.
the exhaust has got deeper as i hit 5k but no pops and i have tried so hard.
can get them back with a map but goodbye warranty.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
It could be. Faster means no time for unburnt fuel hence no pops.
An engine is agnostic to road speed, I am not sure what is meant by this. Lifting off the throttle in any gear is the same event from the engine's perspective, 10mph or 100mph.

Which leads me to believe that speed is artificially involved, as in, (for pre-LCI) Mini specifically programmed a speed where the ECU changes its behavior and ceases to create the pops/bangs. I'm telling you, I get full, loud, multiple pops/bangs when lifting off at any speed and any gear all the way up to 69.99999 mph, then, at 70mph, absolutely nothing. There is no way this is caused by anything mechanical, something has toggled in the software based on speed and it ceases to produce the pops/bangs. Like I said before, the 70mph cut-off is consistent and reproducible on every single drive. If this is the way it is supposed to be from factory, fine I guess, but now I am curious why?

I still have not got a definitive answer based on my initial post. Need more people with stock engine pre-LCI MCS to comment whether their car also has a 70mph limit on the pops/bangs in sport mode. Seems most people who join forums like to mod, so ha, maybe a tougher question than I thought.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.