Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the steering weight goes up and the throttle response quickens as well. What else changes? I'm on day two of ownership and still learning...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I'm no expert on the tech side, but the settings show Drivetrain and/or Chassis can be engaged in Sport Mode.

As I understand it, the Chassis option is only available if you have at least the Dynamic Damper Control option.

JP

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Yes there's an exhaust valve too but actually I thinks that's all the ther e is to it unless anyone else knows differently.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Does the stereo add in fake engine sound like its BMW brethren?
Yes. There's supposedly a dedicated speaker on the left rear interior wall.

Not sure I would call it "fake" engine sounds. Synthesized, perhaps, but the sounds are designed to restore sounds from the engine that contribute to driver pleasure but are suppressed by the sound-deadening or otherwise messed up by the dynamics of the structure.

They are just putting back what the structure took away.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Yes on the Cooper s but not on the Cooper I think.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes. There's supposedly a dedicated speaker on the left rear interior wall.

Not sure I would call it "fake" engine sounds. Synthesized, perhaps, but the sounds are designed to restore sounds from the engine that contribute to driver pleasure but are suppressed by the sound-deadening or otherwise messed up by the dynamics of the structure.

They are just putting back what the structure took away.
The rear speaker for added engine noise is a mith..
Steering feel changes, albeit it's too light for my liking.
Throttle response is better.
ECU tells injectors to add fuel on the overrun, hence the pops :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can someone confirm whether the noise is actually a speaker or the engine/exhaust itself? I always thought it was coming from the exhaust or somewhere around there and pretty much drive it in Sports all the time cos of that noise!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Can someone confirm whether the noise is actually a speaker or the engine/exhaust itself? I always thought it was coming from the exhaust or somewhere around there and pretty much drive it in Sports all the time cos of that noise!
I don't have my F56 yet, but I imagine you could cover the outlet of the speaker somehow, and drive it to see what the engine sounds like without the enhancement. . Or next level of hacky-ness, find the wiring to the speaker and disconnect it.

Again, I don't have the car, so YMMV. You could also drive with the window open and your head stuck outside (or better yet let somebody else drive past you) to hear the outside version of the engine sounds without any processing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The pops and burbles from the exhaust are real. :)

The synthesised engine note is created by an additional speaker that does exist. You need the car to be in green mode in order to not have any synthesised engine note. It's added slightly in mid-mode and more so in sport.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was sure the pops and burbles were from the exhaust - mine doesn't really make the same noise all the time, depends how high the revs are etc. Sometimes its just a slight pop and otherwise makes more pops and burbles. I can hear it from outside the car and even more so in carparks etc so it would surprise me if all that noise is coming from some speaker?

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I was test driving f56s, I was told the exhaust note is somehow piped into the cabin - somewhere in the rear. Not sure if it's then synthesized and amplified but wouldn't be surprised. I'm also under the impression this is only for the S.

I also thought that sport mode tightened the suspension too, in addition to steering tightening and a more sensitive gas pedal.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
It does if you have the dynamic suspension veg biker. The pops are real btw. Wife's roadster s does it, varies lots dep speed etc but sometimes v loud. We love it!

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I'm under the impression tha1) pops and bangs are real and definitely not synthesized,a valve in the exhaust helps this when in sport mode.
2) the mini is so refined that they added the sound amplifier to enhance the noise the enginer makes. It's not a synthesizer as such but pipes the engine noise into the cabin so from what I understand you are hearing an amplified version of the wonderful engine.

Don't panic but I could be wrong!

Of course my fab 3 cylinder doesn't need an amp,it just sounds AMAZING without help!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts