Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm under the impression tha1) pops and bangs are real and definitely not synthesized,a valve in the exhaust helps this when in sport mode.
2) the mini is so refined that they added the sound amplifier to enhance the noise the enginer makes. It's not a synthesizer as such but pipes the engine noise into the cabin so from what I understand you are hearing an amplified version of the wonderful engine.

Don't panic but I could be wrong!

Of course my fab 3 cylinder doesn't need an amp,it just sounds AMAZING without help!
I agree on the 3 cylinder sound. What a great little engine.

I think the valve in the exhaust is only present with the JCW tune and some early-bird aftermarket suppliers. It comes with a little remote control that allows you to set the car from Good Citizen to Annoy-The-Neighborhood mode at will. Stock S and Justa have conventional exhaust, I believe.

From what I've read the speaker is not straight engine noise. Instead, it's a rather highly processed signal that is designed to reinfforce selective engine sounds and suppress others. Kind of like an advanced equalizer like you might find on your HK system, except instead of just filtering sound frequencies, it also applies digital transformations to the signal. It works with the ambient sounds already in the cabin.

The BMW Z4 apparently had physical pipes to bring intake and engine sounds back into the cabin. No idea how well that worked but people seem to enjoy driving the car. This electronic version is probably a heck of a lot easier to tune that the old physical piped version, and can be updated if the engineers discover a new algorithm or as the car ages.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can say that there is no valve in the Cooper S standard exhaust..
I have just looked at mine closely as it is in the garage after removing it to make way for the cat back Remus system.
Now the Remus does have a valve that is operated remotely from inside the car..

I am still not convinced that there is enhanced engine noise via a speaker.. Anyway the Remus is that loud in Sport mode with valve open, it would drown out the speaker, if it did exist.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can say that there is no valve in the Cooper S standard exhaust..
I have just looked at mine closely as it is in the garage after removing it to make way for the cat back Remus system.
Now the Remus does have a valve that is operated remotely from inside the car..

I am still not convinced that there is enhanced engine noise via a speaker.. Anyway the Remus is that loud in Sport mode with valve open, it would drown out the speaker, if it did exist.

It's impossible for it to be louder in sportmode if there's neither a speaker nor a valve in the exhaust.

Personally I don't think there's a valve in the exhaust, I think they achieve the pops in some other way (which are definatly real btw, you wouldn't hear them from the outside of the car otherwhise).

But you can clearly hear that the noise is synthezised, that was the first thing that hit me when I put it into sportmode on my testdrive (before I even read about it to confirm).
I don't dislike it though, it's definatly a good thing to have when driving hard so that you can judge what RPM you're at. And they've done a pretty good job at making it sound real.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I agree pwn. How do they make it pop, must be something in the engine management. My wife's roadsters s sometimes nearly explodes in sport mode. With the roof off makes passers by jump! It definitely has no synthesized system butvitvpops like a good UN.

·
Registered
998 Posts
That popping is unburnt fuel entering the exhaust which is why you typically hear it on overrun. Maybe they deliberately change the engine management to inject addtional fuel?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
tl;dr; version: You're right. It will.

Does the F56 have Active Sound? Evidently.
NAM thread on how to defeat Active Sound Has illustrations, and extensive detailed discussion on how to defeat the system. I think it's safe to say the car has Active Sound.

Car & Driver compares Active Sound to Milli Vanilli
Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained

Jalopnik compares before & after
This Is What A Modern BMW Sounds Like When Engine Sounds Aren't Piped In By A Computer

Realize that the sounds outside the cabin are a separate issue from the inside sounds. Any synthetic sound piped into the cabin is not going to be noticed by a person standing outside the car. It's not like those fine, soon-to-be-deaf gentlemen who rattle your windows with bass at the stoplight; it's far subtler than that.

An aftermarket exhaust is going to primarily change the dynamics outside the car. But it will also have an effect on the internal dynamics (because the exhaust system contributes to cabin noise through vibration transmitted through the structure, as well as outside noise picked up from the tailpipe. Other modes may be present as well).

Any change in the fundamental characteristics of the sound inside the cabin is going to affect the sound enhancement system. If the system is adaptive, it will adjust itself to the new conditions as long as those conditions are not outside of the system's range of operation. If it is not adaptive, then something dramatic like a reconfigured exhaust system will probably result in unwanted artifacts in the perceived engine sound inside the cabin. The artifacts might include buzzing, strange noises, inappropriately amplified sounds, and dropouts. How noticeable such artifacts would be, I have no idea.

(The cool thing about software is you can fix such artifacts. MINI can release a 'Remus Patch" to make the most of the exhaust's improved sound profile).

So, in my random internet yahoo opinion, Active Sound is implemented in the F56. It seems to work fairly well, at least better than BMW's early efforts with other models. When I test drove an S, I remarked to the sales guy how quiet the cabin was, and the engine sounded very nice inside the cabin with the windows rolled up. In retrospect, the sound was too good to be just natural. As Jeremy says, the Justa engine needs no help, and sounds great by itself.

Until someone can demonstrate that for sure, Active Sound is not implemented in the F56, I'm going to assume it is, based on Motoring File and NAM content.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I can hear the pops from the exhaust itself - doesn't sound like any enhanced speaker noise to me at all.
The synthesized sound has nothing to do with the pops and burbles, I believe. That's an exhaust thing, and the Active Sound system is primarily focused on the engine (machinery) sound enhancement.

If you want to hear the exhaust sounds, try driving with the windows rolled down and follow the procedure others have described. Or have a helper drive past you while you stand beside the road.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've not got my cooper to pop in sport mode... has anyone else?

I usually drive it fairly hard, and had a R56 popping like a cork when I had it for a few days..

If someone can confirm i'll try it again later, but don't want to rev the nuts off it if its impossibel

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've not got my cooper to pop in sport mode... has anyone else?

I usually drive it fairly hard, and had a R56 popping like a cork when I had it for a few days..

If someone can confirm i'll try it again later, but don't want to rev the nuts off it if its impossibel
As far as I know, the Cooper does not pop and burble like the Cooper S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I've had my car for almost a week and only just tried Green mode today. Wow, does that mode suck the life out of the car or what! I'm sure the mpg goes up, but the car is a pussycat in that mode :)

21 - 40 of 69 Posts