Mini Cooper Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I think it primarily changes the throttle response so drastically that massive pedal inputs result in relatively little amounts of actual throttle input. This is the inverse of sport mode which adds a very steep and overly sensitive gas pedal. The green implementation makes sense from a mpg strategy. The throttle response in sport mode is really not a good thing. It is an artificial sensation of more power. Basically it adds more throttle than you think do it feels more powerful. E.g., if you press the throttle half way in mid mode you get 50% throttle input to the engine. The same amount of pedal travel in sport mode yields 75-80% throttle input to the engine. This is a bad thing because it makes it more difficult to apply smooth throttle inputs when driving at the auto X or track days.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Tend to agree with moonie. its the easiest thing to change with an electronic throttle, just a software map

·
Super Moderator
7,825 Posts
I agree it's just a different throttlevmapvfor normal and sport but in green mode it does things to the air con etc. Disagree with the jerky throttle bit I love sport mode.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I love the fact that it gives you three cars in one; mini one, cooper s or works depending on your mood and road situation. One of my options for the drive home takes me about 8 miles on twisty back roads where sport mode really comes into its own

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there, I agree that the gas pedal in sport mode is to sharp and it's hard to modulate the amount of gas. Is there a way to program the car in sport mode to have the gas response like the one mid mode?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like sports mode>:D

The throttle response? Well you can get used to it I find, I even use the car in sports mode in town as I particularly like the throttle response, the whole car feels sharper and more, erm zippy?

But in Green mode I find the extra pedal travel required is sometimes unnerving.
Its ok when you are driving, but not much good getting away from the lights or merging into traffic particularly in town driving.

Not tried green mode on the motorway.

·
Banned
122 Posts
I'm probably part of the unpopular opinion, but green mode isn't half bad! I use it for cruising into work, of if I have nothing/nowhere important to be. If I need a bit of power I'll flip the car to sport, but I really enjoy seeing that im getting an extra 15km of mileage out of the tank (we get our gas subsidized through my work place, and I don't want to end up paying 1.6 euro a liter when I run out of my subsidized allotment at the end of the month).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had my car for almost a week and only just tried Green mode today. Wow, does that mode suck the life out of the car or what! I'm sure the mpg goes up, but the car is a pussycat in that mode :)
I just wish it was possible to have the car permanently in sport mode, i hate the dreaded green monster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just wish it was possible to have the car permanently in sport mode
Lot of cars have these mode selectors nowdays. (Alfa e.g. calls it D.N.A. for Dynamic-Normal-All weather) I was told by a salesman that it would be possible to have the car permanently in the sport mode, the rules for the fuel efficiency ratings require that the official rating should be done Sport mode switched on. That's why it has to be manually switched on each time you start the car...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'm probably part of the unpopular opinion, but green mode isn't half bad! I use it for cruising into work, of if I have nothing/nowhere important to be. If I need a bit of power I'll flip the car to sport, but I really enjoy seeing that im getting an extra 15km of mileage out of the tank (we get our gas subsidized through my work place, and I don't want to end up paying 1.6 euro a liter when I run out of my subsidized allotment at the end of the month).
I can understand that and I'll have to wait until I actually have my car to have a real opinion from experience, but I can see me using green mode on the turnpike maybe when cruising long distances. I absolutely cannot see me using green mode on the many twisty roads that I drive every day...cannot fathom that one!

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had my car a month and done 650 miles from new so not really used sport mode until today..The noise of the turbo and wastegate valve along with the burbles from the exhaust as i drop down a gear has just put a big smile on my face.. loving my mini cooper S soooooooo much.. they say minis are for girls. No way should they have all this fun to themselves...?

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
and I don't want to end up paying 1.6 euro a liter when I run out of my subsidized allotment at the end of the month).
Bloody ****, I thought we were very expensive paying what was then $1.50 Aus per litre. Currently the fuel is pretty good at $0.95 per lt Aus. even though as per price of oil, it should be way lower than even this.
As for the Green mode, I actually use mine alot more on the return trip home from work as the traffic is basically start / stop jams, no need to be in sport mode when your travelling at 5 km/h.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts