Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a F55s. I love it except the sport seats are a problem, a big problem. The bolsters on the upper part of the seat are great, but the bolsters on the bottom part of the seat are extremely uncomfortable after driving for about 30 minutes. Your legs naturally roll outwards, unfortunately the bolsters are very stiff and cut into your thighs. On a quick drive, you don't notice it, but after about 30 minutes, I find myself shifting around trying to relieve the pressure on my thighs. I would definitely take a long test ride before buying the sport seats. I have registered complaints with the dealership and with Mini through the website.

Otherwise, the car is great.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. It was because the seats were so much more comfortable than either the Recaros in the Ford Focus ST or the VW GTI that caused me to decide on the Mini. I'll have to report back after taking a long trip to see if I feel the same way about them.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Sounds to me like you have some issues with your legs! Have you ever had low back problems? Well, I have...to the point that my back doesn't hurt that much but pinched nerves cause alot of discomfort in my thighs at times...one of these times is when I sit for long periods. What you describe sounds like this ailment to me, or something similar.

One thing I've done on other cars of mine with vintage Recaro seats that are very confining and "deep" is to throw a towel in there or shallow cushion. On a long drive that might help you.

The sport seat I drove during my test drive actually got better the longer I drove, and I didn't even think about my back, so I doubt it's the seats design, but then again I didn't take a long drive either.

Only other suggestion I'd have is to try the cloth sport seat to see if it's more comfortable. I was going to try one but the Dealer didn't have any in stock.

Report back after you find out more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Since the seats are very adjustable, I suggest playing around with all the variables. Also try sitting just a little closer to the wheel, that will take some of the pressure off your thighs. I have noticed a trend to sitting way back and low. That's ok for 30 mins or so but can wear you out on long drives.

I'm 6'3" and after six decades have my share of shoulder and back issues. I regularly drive to see my family 2.5 hours away. Usually non stop. IMHO, the F56 seats (sports leatherette) are by far the best seats I have had in any car I owned. They are a great improvement over the R55 seats I used to sit in.

Since not all bodies are the same, I can't expect everyone will like the F56 seats but the overwhelming number of co pilots I've had are in favour of their chairs. Experiment a bit to see if you can be made happy.

Cheers, Oost

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have sport seats and have done 670 miles in one day in them without issue.

If the bolsters are uncomfortable then it sounds like someone is too wide for the sports seats, the standard seats would better as they have less bolster and its not stiff or shaped.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have sport seats and have done 670 miles in one day in them without issue.

If the bolsters are uncomfortable then it sounds like someone is too wide for the sports seats, the standard seats would better as they have less bolster and its not stiff or shaped.
I've not placed my order yet, but I will be going the sport seat route - better head to the gym right away!:laugh:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I like the Sport Seats much better than the standard Seats. No complains here If you want Seats that hurt your back take a 7 Hour Trip in a Fiat Abarth.:(

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I like the Sport Seats much better than the standard Seats. No complains here If you want Seats that hurt your back take a 7 Hour Trip in a Fiat Abarth.:(

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just bought a F55s. I love it except the sport seats are a problem, a big problem. The bolsters on the upper part of the seat are great, but the bolsters on the bottom part of the seat are extremely uncomfortable after driving for about 30 minutes. Your legs naturally roll outwards, unfortunately the bolsters are very stiff and cut into your thighs. On a quick drive, you don't notice it, but after about 30 minutes, I find myself shifting around trying to relieve the pressure on my thighs. I would definitely take a long test ride before buying the sport seats. I have registered complaints with the dealership and with Mini through the website.

I do not understand why you would think this cause for complaint.
If the sports seats do not suit your body shape then what can the dealer or MINI do about it?

A couple of weeks ago I drove 350 kilometres non-stop and after just over three hours of sitting in them the sports seats were still incredibly comfortable.

·
Registered
360 Posts

I didn't initially get on with the sports seats either in my F56. I found that after a couple of hours I would get lower back ache. After fiddling with the height, tilt, rake, extenders etc. I finally hit the sweet spot and now I have no problems whatsoever. I say that after 21,000 miles and six hours in the seat last week.

The problem is that we're all built differently and backs are very complicated things. No seat will ever work for everyone.

Don't panic yet - just try different positions and see how you get on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I love my sport seats. They give me support in my back and they give me support on the side. They are comfortable and sporty @ the same time.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I do not understand why you would think this cause for complaint.
If the sports seats do not suit your body shape then what can the dealer or MINI do about it?

A couple of weeks ago I drove 350 kilometres non-stop and after just over three hours of sitting in them the sports seats were still incredibly comfortable.
Harsh :(.

Just the other week I was chatting with my sales guy and when I said I was really happy with my car and liked the basic seat he said he found that the sports Seats were uncomfortable on his upper legs. He is a tall slim chap, nothing wrong with his body shape!

When I test drove an f56 with chilli pack I quite liked the seats but definitely found the standard seats more comfortable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm short and wide and find the sport seats in my F55 to be very comfortable, once I dialed everything in. I've been on several multi hour trips since I picked it up and no complaints. Just goes to show everyone is different. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm short and wide and find the sport seats in my F55 to be very comfortable, once I dialed everything in. I've been on several multi hour trips since I picked it up and no complaints. Just goes to show everyone is different. :)

It must be very difficult for any manufacturer to make a set that is comfortable for everyone given our different shapes and sizes, then on top of that we have personal preference.
Ive just completed another 5 hour day trip in my sports seats and my own feeling is that the Mini sports seats are probably the most comfortable I've sat in, and that includes the multi adjustable all electric seats on my £65K Mercedes.

I'm sure that the standard seats are very comfortable too but to me the sports seats look fantastic and suit the car perfectly as well as being very comfortable.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I didn't initially get on with the sports seats either in my F56. I found that after a couple of hours I would get lower back ache. After fiddling with the height, tilt, rake, extenders etc. I finally hit the sweet spot and now I have no problems whatsoever. I say that after 21,000 miles and six hours in the seat last week.

The problem is that we're all built differently and backs are very complicated things. No seat will ever work for everyone.

Don't panic yet - just try different positions and see how you get on.
21000 miles in 6 hours that only 3500 mph average was there a lot of traffic :)

·
Registered
24 Posts

My girlfriend and I are both on the wide side, and we also find the sport seats extremely uncomfortable. Unfortunately, you can not order an "S" with base seats. Ironically, you can order a JCW with base seats, but that's more money and not available with 4 doors. So, we opted for the non-S Cooper just for the base seats.

Bobby D.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the sport seats and find them comfortable, but my body type fits them well. The only problem I have, is that I have recently broken my right ankle and can't lift myself very well over the tall bolster to get out.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My girlfriend and I are both on the wide side, and we also find the sport seats extremely uncomfortable. Unfortunately, you can not order an "S" with base seats. Ironically, you can order a JCW with base seats, but that's more money and not available with 4 doors. So, we opted for the non-S Cooper just for the base seats.

Bobby D.
You can delete the sport seats on the Cooper S as of March production. There's a specific option code for it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm on the chunkier side of life and do suffer a little from lover back issues form previous jobs but find the sports seats very comfortable. I had the misfortune of driving an Astra for 300 miles (a works pool car) and the seats near on crippled me.

Rotten Vauxhall...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts