Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've posted on a few threads regarding squeaking brakes... However I am a bit concerned because this evening I noticed although my brakes were squeaking when I had my foot on the pedal to come to a stop, when I came to a stop and my engine cut out, then lifted my foot completely off the pedal and it came back to life... As it started to crawl (auto) the squeaks were still happening... It squeaked two or three times on average over about a 1.5 mile distance of stop/start traffic with this scenario.

Is it my brakes am I hearing, will there be something between my pad and disk causing the squeak as it crawls? Or is it something engine related, a belt maybe?

What do you think? Baring in mind my car wasn't on a hill, hill hold assist wasn't engaged and my foot wasn't on the pedal but the squeak I've been hearing over the past few months that I thought was coming from my brakes, as it only seemed to happen when I pushed the pedal, occurred as my car pulled away from a stop and disappeared after two or three squeaks... Maybe getting close to 5mph in a creep. :|

Basically my car is squeaking now not only with the brake pedal engaged but without (only as it sets off from a standstill though).

I'm confused, I'm debating going to MINI because they'll just be like ok lets investigate and then they find nothing because they can't replicate it on the day...

HELP.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi bb, I'd guess at it still being the brakes. On pulling away the pads are still in contact with the discs, only after a couple of wheel rotations do they get pushed slightly away enough to no longer contact the disc. More apparent when creeping the car (like in traffic). My Astra does it sometimes, more when the weather's hot and dry.

Having the pads out and cleaned up properly then refitted with the right 'non-sqeal' grease should solve it.

Cheers,

Andy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bb, I'd guess at it still being the brakes. On pulling away the pads are still in contact with the discs, only after a couple of wheel rotations do they get pushed slightly away enough to no longer contact the disc. More apparent when creeping the car (like in traffic). My Astra does it sometimes, more when the weather's hot and dry.

Having the pads out and cleaned up properly then refitted with the right 'non-sqeal' grease should solve it.

Cheers,

Andy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Okay cool - thank you for that! :) It's booked in on Monday 19th at MINI for a full clean and grease, let's hope it fixes it.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Theres always a slight chance it could be a stick or twig or small stone in there. I had a twig once but the noise isnt really a squeak.most likely a bit of coppergrease on the back of the pads will sort it. Let us know.j

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think it's the front, or it certainly seems to come from that area when the windows are down.
I thought you had left the country :nerd:

Park over night at dealers for a sticky start in the morning >:D

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought you had left the country :nerd:

Park over night at dealers for a sticky start in the morning >:D
Nah, I'd hoped to... MINI offered me £16,500 for my car to buy it back but I owe £19,000 and that would be a large chunk out of the money I've saved to head off. Makes more sense to keep it and save for another year and hand it back voluntarily with less negative equity.

Hopefully they'll just fix it, cba anymore... :|

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my brakes have been "cleaned and greased" today... They definitely did something cause they feel a little spongey at the minute! So far so good though no squeaking, how long it will last is another question.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the brakes on this car is horrible, i have the same problem and other stability problem when braking on high speeds which is terrifying,
Does anyone know if the jcw brakes upgrade has the same problem ?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Pretty strange, 21,000 miles on my MCS and no squeaking, or brake issues at all. Hopefully whatever they did fixed your problem.

Reactions: brandonbardsley

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back to squeaking... Rang Williams and they said they cleaned and greased as a goodwill gesture as they are unable to replicate the fault/squeak when they test drove it. Booked it in again but part of me is thinking I should wait until it squeaks constantly cause otherwise just because of sod's law, they're never going to drive it and replicate it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tricky, but if you can, get a mate to record it with your phone when out and about and show them.

Friend of mine, just had spanking new S3 with the cool virtual cockpit. Every so often, the display dies, random lines would appear etc. Restart fixed it. Audi couldnt replicate. Been going on a fortnight. He videod it, threatened to reject the car. They have just replaced the screen, paid his first months pcp payement and given him £500 to spend on anything in the audi catalogue. Nice. Better service than I ever had.

Reactions: brandonbardsley

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tricky, but if you can, get a mate to record it with your phone when out and about and show them.

Friend of mine, just had spanking new S3 with the cool virtual cockpit. Every so often, the display dies, random lines would appear etc. Restart fixed it. Audi couldnt replicate. Been going on a fortnight. He videod it, threatened to reject the car. They have just replaced the screen, paid his first months pcp payement and given him £500 to spend on anything in the audi catalogue. Nice. Better service than I ever had.
I've already had £576 out of MINI for my Folding Mirror issue earlier this year, I've got a recording of it as I've previously uploaded of when I'm driving in traffic.. Upon showing the service advisor this he said right lets take it out and obviously couldn't replicate it... My argument was look I'm not making it up thats what it sounds like!

Not good with your mates S3 though, that sounds like a similar issue to what my friend had with her RR Evoque's MMI screen.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've two more videos of the squeaking... Trying to get it whenever I hear it so that they have no argument with 'we can't replicate it'.

Case no. 2:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I took it in again today, fourth or fifth visit for this issue... Not sure which. The service guy said I he understands the annoyance but is struggling to see, other than a full brake replacement what he can do to rectify it.

I told him it wasn't worth the technician going out in my car to try and replicate it cause it wasn't doing it on the way to the dealer now matter how hard I tried to make it happen.

The service guy obviously has protocol to follow, but I don't understand why a technician needs to be able to replicate it when I've got three videos of it squeaking constantly for over a minute in each video.

He's going to speak to the Regional Manager of MINI Warranty and get back to me by the end of the week about replacing the front brakes under warranty to see if that rectifies the issue.

Fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Thats terrible brandon. I just don't understand why they don't drop new pads in. Sounds like theyre at fault and are too hard or have a fault in material. Even if mini didnt approve it at the price of as set of pads (their price not what theyd sell to us ) i reckon it would only cost them £50 to drop new set in!.the fact they wont take your video as proof just beggars belief. That would drive me mad. Time to start getting stroppy again. Carparts for less are doing pagid pads for around 30 and they're great. If i got no joy i would pop these in myself Reckon theyd cure it but why should you have to spend money on a new car. Grrr

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Ps they can do stuff on suspicion if they want to, i noticed a slight knock from my rear shocks. Sytner nottingham took a listen and said it was either top mounts or the shocks and told me as a precaution they would change the lot, no mini approval mentioned!!.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.