Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've got a 65 reg F55 which I bought in September (UK). I've had a noise (squeak/rattle type) coming from the front driver door since I received it. Went back to dealer and they took the door panel off, tightened everything up and it went away.

Over Christmas a noise came back, I think yesterday I managed to pinpoint it down to the seal along the bottom edge of the window as when I held on tight to it, the squeak disappeared.

It's really annoying and ruining my experience with my otherwise perfect Mini! My dealer is a good drive away and with work commitments it's a bit difficult to get over to. Is there anyone who has had a similar problem and managed to fix it themselves, or get the issue fixed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Seal noise has been around a long time now (I think since NCAP testing made cars stiffer). Frame less windows make things worse, but the F55 doesn't have them. Also I found dirt and cleaning products also introduce seal noise. I think my snow foam tends to make seal noise after a period of time. To resolve I clean the seals with a silicon remover (a BMW branded product), then apply Carbaflo an expensive lubricant designed for the job (another BMW supplied product). I purchased it when we had our first BMW mini in 2001, and have used it since on all makes of cars. It tends to last nearly a year, but its this time of year when the noises come back (thats why I guess the road salt dirt has something to do with it).

You can use silicon based rubber lubricant, but this tends to only last a few weeks before noise return.

Hope this help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been ill :-(

I have some Gummi Pflege type stuff, but when I used ages ago it made the creaking problem worse so wiped it all back off. Maybe used too much? That was before they took the door panel off.

May be worth another try as I think the sound may be different than the original one. Otherwise I'm going to have to go back to the dealer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been ill :-(

I have some Gummi Pflege type stuff, but when I used ages ago it made the creaking problem worse so wiped it all back off. Maybe used too much? That was before they took the door panel off.

May be worth another try as I think the sound may be different than the original one. Otherwise I'm going to have to go back to the dealer.
Don't forget the cleaning, its as (if not more) important than the Gummy Pflege. If you clean it using a white microfibre your be surprised at what comes off.

Hope you and your car are better soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.