Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night my MCS with 1300 miles developed a loud squeal noise. Noise seems intermittent but has now happened 2 consecutive nights both after the car has been warmed up. It will happen in all modes, whether the car is rolling or stationary, in all gears and in neutral. Seems like the noise will quiet when pressing the clutch. I dropped the car off at the dealership this AM, it was about a 12 mile drive and I wasn't able to reproduce the noise. Has anyone had anything happen like this? I'll drop 2 videos below where the noise is really prevalent. I'm pretty bummed this has happened so early in its life, I haven't even removed the temp tags. ugh

http://youtu.be/_kHmYWJ46Ps

http://youtu.be/E1iYK6h0LAY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Nick,
I've got the same problem with my MCSD.
Exactly the same symptoms, and after two visit at the dealership, I wasn't able to reproduce the noise too. It appears sometimes after an hour on highway...

I will publish a video in few days.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That almost sounds like an air issue rather than a belt issue. Like there's a check valve somewhere that isn't working right, or maybe a leak in the intake manifold?

It does sound like a belt, but there's a swishiness to it. And when the revs are low, the sound diminishes significantly, and doesn't reappear until the revs are high and held up for a time. Like maybe a seal is being compromised under pressure?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No word from the dealer yet, I had sent a text to the service advisor and he said to bring the rental in this way he can put me in another loaner car. I asked if they had figured out what was going on with it but no response. Hoping I get some news tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Sounds like water pump or alternator bearing to me.or belt slip. Both are on demand which might explain why it comes and goes perhaps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is the exact same noise my car made. Mini had mine for ages (as your see in the pm I just sent you) all I can say is good luck. My car was rejected in the end and will imagine yours will be too as miniUK technical support couldn't find the fault.
If your having trouble showing your dealer it happen. Get the engine warm and take it to around 60ish (try an accelerate hard) then as you slow down to around 35-40 change down into 2nd gear. This made my car squeal instantly every time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds exactly like mine. Do you notice any changes when you press the clutch? The dealership has had my car since tuesday morning and no word of anything yet. I'm heading over today to get another loaner car hoping to get an idea of whats going on. I have a feeling they are having issues recreating the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No changes when I pressing the clutch (as I remember...).
Furthermore, when the "squealing noise" happen, it's even present when I taking engine out of gear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got a call from mini, apparently they need to replace the entire transmission in my car. The car barely has 1300 miles on it and I'm not sure how I feel about such a major repair on a car that is so new. I know with car issues they need to try and repair it, but how much is too much for such a new car. They are hoping to get the car back to me in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It will cost a bomb but surely there must be an inherent fault with these boxes that needs them to be changed to an improved, different, design.
Just putting the same type in as replacement may not be a long term solution, although I hope it will be for those affected.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm feeling sketchy about this car and repair. I didn't get the extended warranty and I'm afraid that I may have made a mistake. I'm not looking for a handout but is it way off base to ask for the extended warranty to be thrown in just as assurance that the car won't have any issues. I plan on keeping this car for 5+ yrs not 2-3.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Your within your rights to defo but how long is the std warranty here in the uk it is 3 years. Any faults should have settled by then?

Reactions: Sunster

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
warranty here is also 3 yrs, I spoke with the service advisor today and he made me feel way better. They aren't sure what it is, but when looking at fluid saw metal flakes in it. They will be replacing clutch, transmission, flywheel, throw out bearing and whatever else is necessary. Still looking at 2 weeks till I get the car back as they should get the parts in 10 days or so. I'm going to do my best to not worry about it, and let them fix it and see how it goes till then I'm in a 2014 countryman. Its not my S, but its my car.....While my car is there for the transmission fix I asked them about painting the headlight and taillight rings to match my thunder gray car, hoping I an get a deal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for it. Hoping my transmission replacement will resolve and it won't take a full 2 weeks as quoted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haven't received the car back yet, transmission is apparently showing up today but who knows, I was told the same thing last week. Another member had a trans replaced for squeal noise and popping out of first (which mine wasn't) and it didn't resolve the noise. Hoping mine is something different, it's been a long 24 days

1 - 20 of 26 Posts