Mini Cooper Forum banner

Do you have std headlights & a visibilitay issue?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Mini with the standard headlights and I regret that I did not get the Led or Halogen lights. To me the standard lights are a safety issue and I do not think Mini should even offer them. The dim lights are too dim and the bright lights are very good for long range but they do not light up the area in front of the car. I am currently working with my dealer to resolve this issue but so far I have not be successful The way the lights work the dim lights are powered at 55% of the bulbs potential and are pointed down. The bright lights are the same bulb only it is pointed more up and uses 85% of the bulbs potential. The fact that it is pointed up is what causes the area in front the car to be poorly lit. I am trying to see if they can increase the dim wattage to 75% or 85% which I think might solve the dim light problem. Installing the racing lights might solve the bright problem but the racing lights only work on bright so they do not help the dim light problem.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM OR ARE MY LIGHTS UNQUELY INADEQUATE.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The halogen lights are pretty similar to every other car I've driven with halogens. It's of course a night and day difference between halogen headlights and xenon/led, but I always felt halogens were adequate.

In your case, switching to a better bulb may be the easiest solution. The nice thing about halogens is they are easy to swap bulbs. :)

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
46 Posts
THANK GOD ITS NOT JUST ME.

I have been saying this since day 1. The dim lights are quite frankly rubbish, and full beam is just as bad because you can't see in front of you. I even tried changing the bulbs but it didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Please let me know if you find a solution!!!

I purchased my Mini with the standard headlights and I regret that I did not get the Led or Halogen lights. To me the standard lights are a safety issue and I do not think Mini should even offer them. The dim lights are too dim and the bright lights are very good for long range but they do not light up the area in front of the car. I am currently working with my dealer to resolve this issue but so far I have not be successful The way the lights work the dim lights are powered at 55% of the bulbs potential and are pointed down. The bright lights are the same bulb only it is pointed more up and uses 85% of the bulbs potential. The fact that it is pointed up is what causes the area in front the car to be poorly lit. I am trying to see if they can increase the dim wattage to 75% or 85% which I think might solve the dim light problem. Installing the racing lights might solve the bright problem but the racing lights only work on bright so they do not help the dim light problem.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM OR ARE MY LIGHTS UNQUELY INADEQUATE.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You do not know what you are 'missing' until you drive with the HID headlights at night. The difference in resolution is literally 'day and night', even to my aging eyes :nerd:

That said, I have been driving with the standard dull headlights for many years and would live with them if there were no other options available.

I got the LED option on my F55 and can now go faster!!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I got the standard head lights it really does not bother me that much but you sure can see the difference as soon as you hit dark roads. Had them on the loaner no i would not pay extra for it. If Mini throws them in from the factory now that would be nice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My understanding of this issue, which is not Mini specific, is that the EU have placed limits on the field of visibility that headlights on any car are permitted to have. Something to do with the maximum angle of visibility of the headlight.

So to get EU conformity, the lights need to only illuminate a certain area. Extending beyond that field would invalidate conformity, etc. The car would be illegal. I think it's to do with not dazzling other road users.

My wife has a new Astra. It's very similar. My previous Mini was similar. My car before that was the same.

I'm not excusing the problem - I too think it is ridiculous. But I'm sure this is a Brussels sponsored problem.

Even if you get brighter bulbs, they will still only illuminate the same area.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Osram Night breaker unlimited are a worthwhile upgrade bulb.
Seconded. I fitted them to me previous R56 Cooper as soon as I bought it from new. Shameful to have poor lights on a modern car.
If you do upgrade the bulbs to brighter ones, buy four so you can carry 2 spare with you, a pet hate of mine is drivers who don't have all lights working.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have LED headlights but I've had standard halogen headlights on dealer loan cars and I find them poor in comparison....although I wouldn't necessarily say they were verging on dangerous.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I remember when my dad got his first car with halogen headlamps, these where like "night and day" at the time. Its just a case of what you are used to. I have found in recent years car manufactures have spent all their budget on the upgraded lights, and have a can't be bothered design attitude to the standard lights. its also funny a few week ago there was a thread debating options, where the sunroof was more popular than the LEDs, looks like the tables might be turning now the nights are longer ;-) I am also in a loan car at the moment with halogen lights, can't wait for my LED's again, but the halogens aren't a safety concern.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Love my leds but bought them due to prettiness (I know very very sad) rather than vision. Halogen are far cheaper to fix in my experience and can annoy other drivers. Swore after they cost me a fortune on my golf r32 (xenons)I'd never have other than haolgens again but I am hoping leds will prove more reliable! Never felt them dangerous in our last mini but kenl is right try osram nightbreakers or look up auto express .co.uk last test. They're impartial reviewers!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Bear in mind they won't last as long as standards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have standard lights and don't have a problem with them on dipped beam. But on high beam I agree that close vision is compromised. I wondered if it might be possible to program the front fogs to come on with high beam? They seem to compensate quite nicely.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's my understanding that in the UK front fogs should only be used in
Fog
Snow
Driving rain
Visibility less than 100 yds

Around here plod had a purge on cars driving in normal conditions with fogs on a couple of years ago.

I'm sure someone with a better understanding of C & U or V L regs will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Before inventing reasons to blame Brussels, I think we should look at owners (all makes, not just Minis) who will buy cars with 'pretty' headlights with no external lens, rather than ones that actually work but don't look as fashionable. Stick a decent halogen bulb behind an old-style lensed headlamp and you would be surprised how good they are.

But 'pretty' sells and 'good' doesn't.

·
Registered
296 Posts
On this topic? Which bulbs does everyone recommend for the best visibility? I had the osram's on my last car. Heard Phillips make a good alternative? Or stick with the night breakers?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Love my leds but bought them due to prettiness (I know very very sad) rather than vision. Halogen are far cheaper to fix in my experience and can annoy other drivers. Swore after they cost me a fortune on my golf r32 (xenons)I'd never have other than haolgens again but I am hoping leds will prove more reliable! Never felt them dangerous in our last mini but kenl is right try osram nightbreakers or look up auto express .co.uk last test. They're impartial reviewers!
They do look darn nice.

I've never had any trouble with standard headlights. What I have noticed a lot though is people needing to allign/adjust their headlights. This is one of those things that seem to be really easy to miss and can (obviously) make a huge difference.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Manufacturers and dealers do seem to think that the 'safe' option is to set the headlamps really low so they don't cause glare. A driver not being able to see more than 10 metres ahead on dipped beam is apparently not a problem.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts