Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm just about to order a new Cooper S with the Chilli Sport / JCW pack.

If I wait until 1st March, new builds are coming with the LED running lights as standard - it's not something I would pay the additional for but just wondering if there is a big difference aesthetically between the standard and the running lights? What are the standard lights anyway - are these Xenons ? Next step is to go down to the dealership to inspect for myself but just thought I'd ask the question to get your feedback..

Many thanks..

Chris

·
Registered
768 Posts
The LED headlights are definitely worth the money. When I was configuring mine I went to the dealer at night right before closing and took out a car with the standard headlights and then one with the LED headlights. The standard headlights were adequate but the LED headlights throw a whiter light much farther with way better visibility. In the end I went all in with the LED headlights with cornering and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Crisco and KYDan

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
We have them and they are a definite improvement over xenon. We had the xenon headlights on our SLK and they blinded oncoming vehicles even on low beam and oncoming vehicles were constantly flashing their high beams at us. Also, one failed and luckily it was under warranty, $$$$$$ to replace.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The LED lights are the first option that I chose for my car and I love them. Yes, better than the xenons on my SLK55. Compared to the standard lights, You will see a lot more on the road surface (a nail, small gravels etc.). Almost too much info! Yeah, oncoming cars do not like them at all but what can I do? Well, I turn the LED fog lights on and say "have a nice evening".

·
Registered
375 Posts
The LED lights are the first option that I chose for my car and I love them. Yes, better than the xenons on my SLK55. Compared to the standard lights, You will see a lot more on the road surface (a nail, small gravels etc.). Almost too much info! Yeah, oncoming cars do not like them at all but what can I do? Well, I turn the LED fog lights on and say "have a nice evening".
I remember when we ordered my MINI that my wife said the same thing a few days later when a MINI with led's was driving towards us at night. The exact word were: "jesus that car had really annoying headlights"...."I know dear, we paid almost 1000€ to have those headlights on the MINI"...a long silence and then "why the h*ll did we do that?"..."eh because it's safer dear...safer and way cooler". Not long after we received the car and we were driving on a pitch dark road through the woods she said "Those headlights of yours really show everything and the color of the light really is cool" >:D

·
Registered
768 Posts
A person in my neighborhood just brought home a new F56 Cooper with the standard lights. We were next to each other at a signal last night and the difference in visibility was very obvious on the dark road. I wouldn't trade my LED lights for anything....

My 5 year old niece loves the horseshoe DRLs, she says my car has a face and hugs it whenever she sees it. Makes me wonder if she's hugging random MINIs in car parks, have to ask my sister about that...

·
Registered
2022 F60 Cooper S in Sage Green
498 Posts
I got my car used and didn't have the luxury of building it, but I will say that I don't think $1400 (buying parts and putting them in yourself) is worth it. I could spend that money elsewhere.

However, when you lump that into a loan, it's not as bad and only raises the price a small amount per month.

They do look awesome but the stock headlights are pretty good when it comes to safety. I used to drive a car with HID headlights and HID foglights so I do know about how much light can be thrown out front.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback.. much appreciated.. Car is ordered with the LED's and should arrive end of March.. can't wait.. here it is..

Cooper S with Chilli Pack
JCW Sport Pack including LED lights
Visual Boost
18" Cup Alloys
Very nice looking car. Not many all red cars around. Some viper stripes would finish it off nicely if you fancy changing it at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to add to the swathes of people already singing the LED Headlights/DRL praises....

Cost option, yes. But a worthwhile cost option IMO, especially if you plan on doing a lot of driving at night or in bad weather.

The LED DRL just bring a little more character to the car in my option too. Finished off the headlight clusters quite nicely.

Select the mini adaptive LED headlights and you'll also get the added advantage of extended pitch at higher speeds to illuminate the road ahead even further and some turn assist lights. The thing I love about the turn assist lights is how they are built into the main headlight cluster. None of this turning on a random front fog light as you turn like you see on some manufacturers!

Can't imagine going back into a car without them now.

Was in a new car with standard Halogen lights recently and genuinely thought there was a problem with a battery as they were so poor compared to what i'm used to.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just to reiterate about the LED headlights being the best option ever conceived... I was driving along the M6 from Birmingham to Manchester last night and every bridge I went under I flashed like a quick flash, and all the cars in front jammed their breaks on because they thought it was a speed camera! I did it three times and it never got old.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.