Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a new 5 door cooper around June and I've been spending time on the configuration page looking at my options.

I want to keep the spend to just under £19000 and have got to choose between the following:
1/2 leather sport seats
or
EDC (damper control), cruise control and folding mirrors

My question is to owners with the standard seats - how supportive do you assess them to be? I have a bad back and normally go for sport seats but would really like the EDC option and folding mirrors.

What do owners think?

Cheers,
radriderx

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a 2015 base Cooper I've had for 3 months. I'm quite satisfied with the seats. When I test drove a 2014 S I found the seats a little too intimate for my tastes and I'm not a big guy. I understand they widened the Sport seats for 2015 so the bolsters don't squeeze as much. I don't have a bad back, but wish the standard seats had a lumbar support. I have no regrets getting the standard seats - I find them comfortable and quality-built.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have the sports seats in my Cooper and love the look of them.

In use they are a bit close fitting for my comfort around the bottom end, so to speak, and being not too young (68 ish) I find the side bolsters a bit of an impediment to easy entry and exit of the car. It is easier to get in and out of my MG Midget and that's saying something!

If I bought another Cooper I would probably go for the standard seats, but I do think the sports seats suit the cars style, I am just a bit old and stiff!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had planned on buying a F55S, but the sport seats were a deal breaker, and you can't get standard seats in an S. I'm 5'10 and was ok with the sports seats, but my wife is 5'1 and the sport seats just didn't fit her at all, both seat front and bolsters. I too have lower back issues, and found the standard seats very comfortable, and my new F55 will be here next month.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got standard seats and am very happy with them. I sat in the sports seats at the dealer and found them way too snug. Felt like they were "too small", and I'm only 5'2.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have standard seats. I am very happy with them. They are firm and supportive.
If you are working to a budget push them for a discount, you might get them to throw in options if you can convince them it is a deal maker.
Also, the packs make a group of options cheaper.

·
Registered
258 Posts
EDC is beginning to make a difference to my MCSD (takes a while to bed in I think) - and do like them. Cruise control - I have it, never use it. Folding mirrors... why? An option to have once you've exhausted all other options. Of course, you will have specific reasons to want these depending on how you use the car.

Personally I love the sports seats. I have a cooper with leather/cloth mix and a cooper SD with full leather. There is a difference between the two, with the full leather option offering even more support - they just feel more solid.

Wife has a R56 ONE with standard seats which are perfectly fine but a bit squishy. I know this isn't a fair comparison though as the difference between build quality, including furnishings is significant between the new mini and the ones of old.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Love my sports seats. I would never choose edc or folding mirrors. The ride as std is great. Seats are so important. Go and sit in some.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I sat in the standard seats and the sat in the sport seat,i had not ordered the chili pack at that time,but after sitting in the sport seat i went home and ordered the chili pack with the sports seat. It was a no brainer for me as i like the extra padding and the pull out piece.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The powerfold mirrors also tilt down on the passenger side when car is in reverse so you can avoid scuffing your wheels when parallel parked.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi and thanks for the replies.

The car I test drove had the chilli pack and I thought the seats were good but didn't think to check out the standard seats.

The car I'm driving just now (Astra) has cruise control and folding mirrors, to be honest I've never used the cruise control in the 5 years I've had the car, folding mirrors I do use as I have to park in small streets. I noticed you can't specify wheel mounted audio controls without cruise control although thinking about it I very rarely use them on the Astra either.

Interesting about haggling with the dealer for extras, What Car seems to suggest you can't get discounts on the new mini. What kind of discounts can you expect?

Cheers,
radriderx

·
Registered
258 Posts
Interesting about haggling with the dealer for extras, What Car seems to suggest you can't get discounts on the new mini. What kind of discounts can you expect?

Cheers,
radriderx
Oh yes you can! Got £2K off with a small amount of haggling. Then went away, found a comparable car as a showroom car/demo from a competing dealership (a long long way off but not an issue) and managed to get them to knock almost £3,500 in the end. Doing it this way may mean you don't get exactly what you want (I had to forgo sunroof and HK stereo), but even if you're speccing your car precisely I would be looking at a decent part exchange for your old car if you have one and at least £1.5K discount for a cooper, £2K for a cooper S before you even begin.

As with everything, the trick is do a little research... and always be pleasant. Go when dealerships need to make up their quotas - typically end feb, end sept and end december. Print out as many comparable cars from other dealerships (sytner a good one for this as they're so big so have lots of choice). Even managed to get half price GAP insurance from BMW/MINI by looking online first.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry, should have mentioned - to get comparable cars you need to go to Sytner/or other car's websites and look for used models. You'll find hundreds for minis. Select year of production 2014/2015 and you will see showroom cars or demonstrators with very little or no mileage. Showroom cars are discounted as they've already been paid for by dealerships and they're looking to sell off asap. Demonstrators are cheaper still as they may have up to 1,000 miles (sometimes more) on the clock.

Even though you're wanting a brand new, 'my own spec' car. Your dealer is very likely to make a better deal if you tell them that you're getting tempted to go elsewhere - and especially in the months I mentioned.

Good luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Love the half leather sports seats. Im a big guy and don't find them too snug at all, just very supportive and comfortable. Shame as If they were too snug I would have an incentive to loose weight!
The sports seats also look great especially compared to the standard seats which I'm sure are comfortable.
I do agree that the side bolsters of the sports seats make entry more difficult. I sort of back in because I don't want to wear the bolster fabric. Worth it once in the car though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts