Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've found myself in a pickle regarding the tail lights of my 2015 F55 Cooper S. I've bought the car used, for a good price, because the lights and boot door were destroyed in an accident and subsequently fixed. It seems that whoever fixed the car installed the standard tail lights instead of the LED tail light. Problem is that the standard ones don't work (brake lights, indicators, license plate lights and fog lights do work)! The guy I bought the car from (pretty far from where I live) said that, if I change a fuse, it will work. Problem is that I don't know what fuse to change (and with what). Any ideas?

I tried the BMW dealer, and their solution is to replace the tail lights (for 600 euros).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Are you talking about the running lights, brake lights or turn signal? Also is your car a F55 Regular Cooper or F56 Cooper S?

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm not an expert but it could be the voltage is different between led and std rear lights.

One could argue that the car you purchased is not legal as rear lights do not work so perhaps you have a case to claim compensation or even refund.

Was the sale done "bought as seen"? If that is the case you may. Have to swallow the cost.

Ebay might be another option to get cheaper rear lights.

Good luck with finding a solution.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! It's the 5-door Cooper S and I am referring to the running lights, the other lights work fine!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I assume you mean DLR's (day light running lights) don't know where you are but in the UK only the front lights are lit in DLR mode!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in Ireland, so I guess it's the same model... I don't mind about DRL, they don't come up at night either, either in manual or auto.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Got you so just tail lights?

I think I read somewhere that on led rear lights only the tail lights are led the rest bulbs, could be wrong!

Without stating the obvious but it does have bulbs in and they are correct?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have an f56 S with led package and with regards to the rear tail lights I know fpr sure the turn signals are regular bulbs and possibly the brake lights as well but the regular tail light (when the headlights are turned on) are LED...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@jamie1985 Yes, that does make sense. I guess this is the reason that the turn signals and the brake lights are working. I guess what I would need to find out is whether the LEDs have a different voltage/resistance than the regular lights. I have three theories, none of which I can confirm by myself:
a) LEDs and regular lights have different voltage.
b) LEDs have a much lower resistance than regular lights, this means that I get a burned fuse. Did not notice any fuse that is burned, but I don't have a legend for the fuse-box and can't seem to find one online.
c) Tail lights are connected to CANbus and there is some signalling involved.

I guess that in cases a) and c), I would have no choice but to change the lights. My hope is that it would be case b). Any ideas on where I could find more information on that?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I know for a fact LED lights are much lower wattage however the voltage should still be 12v considering everything on the vehicle is 12v....what bulb is in there now? LED or regular? It's pretty easy to tell...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a regular bulb in there now.

Since the LED lights are much lower wattage, it may just be that the regular lights are just burning the fuse. Just need to figure out which one it is and what to replace it with. My car does not have the diagram for the fuses. If somebody has a similar car with the regular lights, maybe if someone could send me a photo of their fusebox, I would see which one is different (and what fuse they have). I'm a bit sceptical regarding switching fuses randomly (since I don't want to start a fire or something :)).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts