Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trading in my 2016 F55 for a nearly new August 2020 Clubby Cooper S. I'll be picking it up next weekend.

It's got almost all of the options that I consider essential. The only option that I would have liked is the 8.8" screen instead of the 6.5" screen as I'm used to the bigger screen. It has nav and car play so in principle, the upgrade is simple but finding the parts at a sensible price is going to be a challenge. There was a silver clubby there with slightly more kit on it (HK, HUD, wireless charging and nav+ pack) but it didn't have the sunroof and it had a carbon black leather interior. I'm not fond of monochrome cars and especially don't like a completely black interior. Combine the dark headlining with privacy glass and a totally black interior and it's unpleasantly dark inside, so the sunroof and the blue exterior won out.

I fancy getting some stripes like my F55 had. I'm thinking possibly metallic orange with silver edges. (something akin to Finnegan's Garage Game Over jet boat)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Picked the clubman up this morning and waved bye bye to my 5 door. I will miss the F55 as it has been a great car during the time I have had it. Compared with the F55, it is definitely smoother, more refined and a bit more laid back. Mid mode definitely feels more relaxed, more akin to green on the F55. (Which I used a lot) I love having all the toys, but I definitely miss the 8.8" screen.

Dad also bought a clubman. Enigmatic black with a few more options than mine. They chose the stripes and had the whole roof wrapped sparkly black. I'm still undecided on stripes for mine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally started the correction work on the clubman last week having used my old Saab as a practise mule for machine polishing. I made a start by doing the roof, rear quarters and barn doors. I used scholl purple pads combined with Koch Chemie F4, F6 and rupes white pads with koch M3. I used F6 in places where I needed more cut and M3 to finish out the roof. I sealed it off with adams graphene spray coating. I'm trying this out to compare to the paste waxes that I am used to. (Collinite 476S, FK 1000P and Fusso Coat) I ran out of time to do the rest and the weather has not been any good since. The coating didn't get as long as I would have liked to cure before the rain. (Possibly around 10-12 hours)

The beading in the morning was great. The eagle eyed may notice the beading down the doors to the front is different. (as it's short term wax applied a few weeks ago) Polishing around the badges on the back took ages with a 1" nano polisher.

The black roof really came up well.

Some quick photos taken with the potato cam after driving to work. Dang it looked good under those car park lights. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the correction ability of the Koch Chemie abrasives and scholl pads.

It was too dark to capture the roof with the potato cam.

Here are some of the defects that I still need to remove, mainly on the doors.

These are obvious enough that a torch isn't required to see them. I will see if Koch F6 can deal with them or if I need to resort to H9 and a sturdier pad.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Continued with the polishing using a newly acquired flex PE8-4 rotary. I've done both sides and now just have the bonnet and front bumper left to do.

Before

After

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cracking work there . Been tempted to try some of the KK abrasives as have heard good things about them.

Did my F60 JCW a few weeks back with Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish and Gyeon Q2 Prime finisher, with Hex Logic Green and then black pads.

Ceramic coated with Gyeon Q2 Syncro (2 x coats MOHS and 1 x coat skin) Added a 3rd coat of MOHS on bonnet and front end. Beads up a treat and should last 18 months +

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cracking work there . Been tempted to try some of the KK abrasives as have heard good things about them.

Did my F60 JCW a few weeks back with Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish and Gyeon Q2 Prime finisher, with Hex Logic Green and then black pads.

Ceramic coated with Gyeon Q2 Syncro (2 x coats MOHS and 1 x coat skin) Added a 3rd coat of MOHS on bonnet and front end. Beads up a treat and should last 18 months +
Very nice. I wish I had a garage to work in. As the temperature has taken a nose dive, I've had to fall back to paste wax for the remainder. The adams graphene spray I was trying says not to use it if temperatures are <10oC. If I had a garage to work in, I would have tried the full blown adams graphene instead of the watered down spray version.

I've got both rupes abrasives and koch chemie abrasives and have to say that I don't find there to be much difference between them. They are both excellent, easy to use and leave a great finish. Where I have found a difference is in the pads. The rupes yellow fine & white ultrafine pads are really good as are the scholl concepts purple & orange pads. I really don't like the rupes blue coarse pads. Lake country HDO/SDO pads seems to be excellent as well. I am also sold on the rotary polisher. It's so much smoother and lighter than any DA.

Rupes DA fine did an excellent job in one pass using a forced rotation DA on my 27 year old saab paint.
Before:

After:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Very nice. I wish I had a garage to work in. As the temperature has taken a nose dive, I've had to fall back to paste wax for the remainder. The adams graphene spray I was trying says not to use it if temperatures are
I've got both rupes abrasives and koch chemie abrasives and have to say that I don't find there to be much difference between them. They are both excellent, easy to use and leave a great finish. Where I have found a difference is in the pads. The rupes yellow fine & white ultrafine pads are really good as are the scholl concepts purple & orange pads. I really don't like the rupes blue coarse pads. Lake country HDO/SDO pads seems to be excellent as well. I am also sold on the rotary polisher. It's so much smoother and lighter than any DA.

Rupes DA fine did an excellent job in one pass using a forced rotation DA on my 27 year old saab paint.
Before:

After:
Haha, not my garage, but my neighbours. He has a couple old beetles, but more than happy to let me have one side for a few days whenever I need. I tend to prep the car outside and then finish off in garage, but as you say the weather can help decide that.

Cracking work, you really have improved that Saab no end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts