Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Just a quick warning. This might only work in a few F56's but please be aware the that the start/stop button is active why driving.

On Friday I was driving home from work and placed a water bottle back in the cup holder the bottle hit the star/stop button down. The car then turned it self of at 40 MPH. Luckly I was on a straight road and got the car back on straight away.

I have spoken to MINI who said to get the car checked over. But have to wait till the 11th for an appointment at the dealer. So until then I will just have to make sure nothing touches the big red button.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Ooer I'd assume it would be deactivated when on the move. V odd but worth being careful and aware of thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
:laugh: I think it stays active so when you stall your car you can just put your foot on the clutch and it will restart!

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is serious!
I pressed mine the other day whilst coming up to a stop to check this very thing out.
Was doing about 5mph max and the engine kept going.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I was quiting from a several floors parking lot and my girl touched unintentionally the start/stop button and the car stopped. Fortunately there was no car behind me because other way it will hit me!!!

This is a serious problem that BMW should take care off.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
As far as I can see there isn't a problem at all driving along at 60 I pressed the ignition button. Nothing happened at all. However it is quite possible that below 5 mph it might as this is the speed the autostart stop comes into play. As Mike so beautifully puts it. No issue!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:laugh: I think it stays active so when you stall your car you can just put your foot on the clutch and it will restart!

Its not when the Clutch is engaged. Its when the car is driving.

In breaking news...
Ignition switch turns off engine...millions of cars affected worldwide. :eek:

Most cars don't have a big button in the middle of the car! Also we have tested it on a BMW 4 series and the button does not work when driving.

Its not like you have to insert a key and turn the ignition barrel. Its a button next to the drive and passenger.

As far as I can see there isn't a problem at all driving along at 60 I pressed the ignition button. Nothing happened at all. However it is quite possible that below 5 mph it might as this is the speed the autostart stop comes into play. As Mike so beautifully puts it. No issue!

Like I said not all cars could be effected. Mine was one of the first cars delivered back in March so could be due to the software on it. The fact it happened to one car at 40 mph means there is a issue.

Since it first happened I have tested it again. On a private road at 50mph and it turns off. So it was not a one off fault.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Definitely worth getting it sent in then, if it's a fault or needs updating.

Either way it sounds dangerous - definitely. What if it makes the steering lock come on?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hello! I was quiting from a several floors parking lot and my girl touched unintentionally the start/stop button and the car stopped. Fortunately there was no car behind me because other way it will hit me!!!

This is a serious problem that BMW should take care off.
This is a serious problem that you need to take care of... she should be told not to touch things in the car! >:D

I will try and replicate this on the way home tonight, on a nice straight bit of road. Hopefully still be around to report my findings later.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
I agree this needs a dealer investigation probably a fault!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Double press

Thought I'd try this tonight, doing about 15 mph pressed it and engine kept going, pressed it twice in quick succession and engine switched off. Plus it won't restart by simply pressing the clutch in as it would if you stalled because the ignition was clearly off. I suspect holding the button down would switch off as well. I agree that this is dangerous and would have thought it would be disabled in motion as when the engine goes power steering and brake servo go as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Guys...
On Friday I was driving home from work and placed a water bottle back in the cup holder the bottle hit the star/stop button down...
Hi Jordan,

I don't doubt that this happened but I am more concerned about you putting the water bottle back than about the engine turning off.

Drinking while driving is yet another distraction that is unnecessary and as you have seen can lead to unexpected consequences.

Mike

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's interesting that some drivers think it is a problem because the on-off button enables you to turn the engine off - not being able to turn the engine off when driving is much more likely to be a real safety issue. But I guess lots of drivers now don't have experience of things like throttles sticking open if the return spring breaks (on old cable-operated engines) - or maybe if there is a faulty line on the coding of the traction control software?

A while ago a French driver did over 100 miles with his Laguna at full speed because he could not shut down the engine when it locked at full-throttle. He was able to phone the emergency services and they had all toll booth barriers opened, as well as clearing the border to Belgium so that he didn't have to drive into anything.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Totally agree with you angib. The world is going mad and people seem to find fault with anything these days.actually just goes to show that we need to use our brains equally as much if not more with all this tech..

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yes, I concur. What is wrong with turning a key to start the car. No chance of turning the car off then, unless of course you are a total numpty:D

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Or you do it on purpose. I used to in the days before power steering and was totally broke driving my metro city . Down hill ,engine off ,coast. Did 45 mpg all the time!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Key started ignition is not infallible. I used to have a Smart Roadster where the ignition was located in the centre console. Driving up the motorway in the outside lane doing about 70mph (ahem) when my sat nav fell off the windscreen and hit the ignition key - bam! Engine off! A bit of a shock but it did allow me to turn the ignition back on and carry on as if nothing had happened. To say it scared the bejesus out of me at the time would be a slight understatement and I always made sure the sat nav suction pad was well and truly stuck to the windscreen after that.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Blimey bit of a shock to the system. Nothing is infallible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts