Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the dumb Question for today. My F 56 Manual when I set the DSC into the off Position and keep it in Mid Mode after mixed driving Highway/City I come to a red Light put the car in N and wait at the red Light the Engine will idle. I drive 3 Blog down the road come to another red Light again put the Car in N and wait at the Light the Engine shuts off. Is my Car confused or the People in Munich messing with my Head?:| I really did not find anything in the Owners Manual. Maybe somebody could direct me to right Page in the OM or can clear this up if I set something wrong. By the Way I did not touch the Start/Stop Switch to set it into the off Position. 0:)0:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
So here is the dumb Question for today. My F 56 Manual when I set the DSC into the off Position and keep it in Mid Mode after mixed driving Highway/City I come to a red Light put the car in N and wait at the red Light the Engine will idle. I drive 3 Blog down the road come to another red Light again put the Car in N and wait at the Light the Engine shuts off. Is my Car confused or the People in Munich messing with my Head?:| I really did not find anything in the Owners Manual. Maybe somebody could direct me to right Page in the OM or can clear this up if I set something wrong. By the Way I did not touch the Start/Stop Switch to set it into the off Position. 0:)0:)
Basically there are many parameters that decide wether the engine stays on or stops. Can't remember them all but here are a few

Engine temp - too cold and it won't stop and probably if it's too hot as well:)
Battery state of charge
Electrical demand at the time of stopping
Air conditioning demand
Steering wheel position etc etc

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is a toggle for turning off start/stop, as well as a menu item.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The software will look at over 100 different parameters before auto shutting the engine off, if something doesn't look right, it won't shut it off. These parameters, including the ones CO2slave mentioned, also include if you're on an incline, if the clutch is engaged, if the car isn't completely stopped, and if the wheel is turned too far in either direction from 12 o'clock. You'll get a Auto Start/Stop symbol in your instrument cluster with a line through it, indicating the system is active, but something is preventing the auto shutoff.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
508 Posts
......also include if you're on an incline, if the clutch is engaged, if the car isn't completely stopped, and if the wheel is turned too far in either direction from 12 o'clock.......
You left out if it's a rainy Tuesday and if the battery had a hard night out on the town the night before, both of which may cause the stop/start not to work....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi All,
My advice...turn the stop start OFF.
I fail to see how saving a few ponds on fuel over a year, will pay for a new starter motor or flywheel when this is worn out due to over use!
And you will remove the question "was the engine ment to stop then" from your mind.
Just my opion...
Blazing Deb

PS the above is a quote from my husband that works in a main dealer workshop that has stop start fitted to their cars!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, all new ideas will cause the world to come to an abrupt, fiery end - and particularly new ideas that other people thought of.

Do Mini dealers spend all their time replacing ring gear and starter motors on 2nd generation Minis, most of which have stop/start? My dealer doesn't think so.

But of course don't let the truth stand in the way of a good scare story. Stop/start gives you herpes is another one to try......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts