Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what is at work here, but I have noticed when starting off in 1st gear on a small hill that when switching from brake to the acelerator, my MCS doesn't roll backward right away. The car seems to hold its position for a brief amount of time before rolling backward. This allows a safe start on hills.

Do any other peeps notice this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe it is standard kit, called Hill start assist.
A friends r56 has it too - I felt insulted that a sporty car didn't trust me to do a hill start.
I could get righteous and say that any half decent driver should be able to do a hill start without technology. Especially if said driver wanted to be considered deserving of driving a MINI…
maybe you can turn it off deep in some menu somewhere?
cheers

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes, it is a standard feature and a very good one in my opinion.

I am sure we can all do hill starts, but it does save on clutch wear and if you have the armrest it means you don't have an awkward reach for the handbrake everytime you stop.

A useful tool, and clever technology.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, it is a standard feature and a very good one in my opinion.

I am sure we can all do hill starts, but it does save on clutch wear and if you have the armrest it means you don't have an awkward reach for the handbrake everytime you stop.

A useful tool, and clever technology.
I agree :). Something very useful and it's nice that MINI include this as a standard feature. This is an overpriced optional extra on the likes of Audi, etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yep - it took me a few goes before I was absolutely confident in using it but once you know it's there it's a great thing to have - stops that horrible burning smell when your trying to turn right up a hill onto a v. busy junction (something I do nearly every day!)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I thought it was a figment of my imagination when I first experienced it. The technology has been around since the '50s, but I've only heard Subaru talk about it being on their cars. I was delighted to discover it on my Mini.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I thought it was a figment of my imagination when I first experienced it. The technology has been around since the '50s, but I've only heard Subaru talk about it being on their cars. I was delighted to discover it on my Mini.
Just make sure you get moving within 2 seconds because after that the hill assist will deactivate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just make sure you get moving within 2 seconds because after that the hill assist will deactivate.
2 seconds is an eternity to get going off the start. At least I have a lot more horsepower than my old Studebaker which is the last car I owned that had a true hill holder.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Hmmm Maybe I should read the Mini OM I had no Idea that our Minis come with Hill Assists.:| :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
I hope they keep the software right on the F56. On my 2009 Convertible the hill start worked perfectly, but on my 2012 Roadster it holds for maybe half a second which is short enough to be quite dangerous. My dealer confirmed I'm not the only one to have this problem and there's nothing they can do to fix it, as Mini don't recognise the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts