Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys,

Yesterday I arrived at work and noticed there was steam coming from my radiator grille. My car is a 2018 Cooper S. I drive around 15 miles to work with the last 10 miles being motorway. Weather was pretty harsh raining conditions. As I got home later that evening the same happened, so I topped the coolant up when cold. Coolant was at the low indicator so I topped it up to near max. Got to work this morning and the same again. Strange thing is, is that the steam only seems to leak the grille when the engine is off. I got back into the car and turned the engine on and it subsided. When feeling the grille itself the right side is cool however I can feel heat from the left side. Predominately where the steam is coming from. The car itself has shown no other signs. No dip in performance, no lights on the dash and temperature levels never go above OK/half way between red/blue. I had the car serviced in November. I haven鈥檛 managed to drive it in the dry yet to see if it鈥檚 the same due to our horrendous weather! Is this cause for concern? Could you please advise on next steps. Thanks 馃榿

Super Moderator
It could be rain just coming off the hot rad but if your coolant keeps dropping it has a leak somewhere. Look for tell tale crust of dried coolant residue or get a garage to check it over. Keep us posted.

Reactions: ventmore

Registered
I occasionally get a 鈥渟moking radiator effect鈥 when I drive in harsh rainy conditions on a cold day, but I don鈥檛 have any leaks. Best to go to a mechanic to have him check where it leaks from.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I鈥檓 going to keep an eye on the coolant after each drive and see what鈥檚 going on. As it鈥檚 under warranty do you think it鈥檚 best to book it in with mini or have a local mechanic check it over first?

Registered
Depends. I trust my local MINI dealer. If yours is good enough and you're on warranty, why spend money on a local mechanic?

Registered
I鈥檓 going to keep an eye on the coolant after each drive and see what鈥檚 going on. As it鈥檚 under warranty do you think it鈥檚 best to book it in with mini or have a local mechanic check it over first?
I would keep an eye on the coolant level over the next few drives as you say, and if it drops any again, get it inspected.

If still in warranty always use the MINI dealer - it's free! Plus many of them are really nice people and don't always cock it up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - luckily I鈥檓 off work next week so I鈥檒l try book it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts