Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if any others here have experienced this, known to BMW, problem that's happened to my late 2014 Cooper with the optional JCW steering wheel (off-topic: this wheel looks great, feels great and IMHO is a no brainer when speccing a new vehicle).
The horn stopped working and the official repair is to replace the steering wheel....I almost fell over backwards.
I tried to glean some info from a very helpful person on the phone and it appears that BMW make a significant contribution to the job, making a repair to the existing wheel no cheaper for the owner. Maybe BMW provide a new (improved?) wheel and no labour when a car's just out of warranty?
Apparently, due to a faulty design, the electrical contact points become contaminated with something and fail. The horn has probable only been blown a handful of times in its life, so my thoughts are that BMW should step up and stump up for 100% of the repair cost.
Can anyone suggest a permanent DIY fix and give any tips?
Or, how much did you have to pay?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
Someone on here simply cleaned the contacts if you have a trawl. Seemed hapoy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep, had mine replaced under warranty. Happened to find out the horn wasn't working on a test drive with the mechanic about another issue and he immediately said 'i'll add a new wheel to the job sheet then!'. Mine is was under warranty.

He did say that the contacts corrode on the older wheels and they had tried originally to clean them up but they got repeat failures with this method. Mini modified the design on new wheels and thus that is now the fix.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You two night owls, thanks for that. It adds to the bigger picture and makes it easier to decide the course of action.
Perhaps it only happens to the JCW wheel? Does anyone know?
If so, then BMW should replace all of them (financed by the original extra cost).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine was replaced last week because the horn only worked sometimes. It was under warranty. Warranty runs out this month so it was good timing.

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
Pretty sure it's all of em-horn in our f54 s wasn't brilliant; perfect in our jcw!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mine only works if I either use both hands either side of the badge or push directly in the middle, may take mine in soon, wouldn't mind a new steering wheel!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine only works if I either use both hands either side of the badge or push directly in the middle, may take mine in soon, wouldn't mind a new steering wheel!
Mine is similar to this, the dealer attempted to fix it at the last service but it’s not really any better. I might have to get back on to them if there’s a chance of a new wheel!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears that when the Sale of Goods Act was updated and became the Consumer Rights Act 2015, consumers were given new rights to a repair, replacement, or refund, where goods are faulty. If the fault arises after six months, the consumer has to prove that the problem was down to a fault at the manufacturer. BMW, I think you've admitted it by your actions.
A consumer has this right for six years after purchase in England, five for Scotland.
I will state my case and try to get it done under warranty. My Mini is 3 years 10 months old, 21000 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine on a F56 2017 did this this week and I have to take it to a dealer. My car 3 years ago was a new BMW 3 series with M Sport package and wheel and the same thing happened with the horn. Their solution then was a new steering wheel as well. Seems its not just the Mini but BMW suppliers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2015 cooper S had a new JCW wheel and airbag from warranty a few weeks ago, along with door rubber paint wear and faded gloss black bumper parts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My factory warranty had finished a week prior but as I only purchased my car used from sytner in may they changed it on the used car warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delay in replying.
Mini UK said the matter was between customer and dealer.
Dealer said 'out of warranty' and the £170 bill is after Mini's contribution of a new steering wheel.
Irrelevant that horn was difficult to activate before three years old.
I should have complained, but didn't because I didn't know there was a more serious problem.
I don't think Trading Standards or an Ombudsman would be interested because of the low value, so the end result is that the brand's image has been tarnished for this customer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone!

At my 30k oil change I asked my service advisor to check my horn and he replied by email a few hours later that the steering wheel was going to be replaced and the part would be in the next day.

I thought it was going to take three weeks like other parts coming from Germany.

I joked about upgrading me to a JCW wheel... no reply and no JCW wheel

So, I have a new steering wheel and the horn still takes effort when pressing LOL.

Joel

Edit to add... 2016 Clubman non-S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had my steering wheel replaced under warranty a couple of months ago. 2017 MCS F56. (Feb 2017) It wasn't because of a non functioning horn but, because the leather started to peel off. Their solution....replace steering wheel. Took about an hour and they gave me a bottle of leather cream to apply once a month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had problems with the horn button on my 2014 MC 5-door even during the warranty period. The dealer cleaned the corroded contacts but by Oct 2018 the problem had recurred so they cleaned them again. A couple of weeks ago the horn started honking on its own. The dealer said it would need a new steering wheel but BMW/Mini UK agreed that I would only have to contribute £200 to the full £1,200 bill. I have complained to BMW. Surely for a design fault in a piece of safety equipment they should issue a recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have now submitted a report to the DVSA. Hopefully this will result in BMW/Mini being forced to issue a recall for this fault. I urge others with this fault to do the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My son had the same horm issue when he purchased his used 2015 Cooper S last year. Was replaced under the BMW used warranty.
He has now had the keyless entry fail and been told the wiring loom needs replacing. Fortunately still under warranty but again it looks like this is a common fault

1 - 20 of 26 Posts