Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have the MOT guarantee you'll be able to claim for this if out of warranty. That's my plan for October this year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just in case anyone is still having issues with this...
I had the same issue where the horn was becoming increasingly difficult to activate. I removed the front airbag (battery disconnected) to reveal the contacts. Indeed they had corrosion on them preventing the horn from sounding easily. I cleaned these which involved some scraping, and after replacing the airbag etc the horn works perfectly. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who is happy to work on it themselves, as it certainly saved me a few hundred pounds! Any questions about the process just let me know. Cheers all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just in case anyone is still having issues with this...
I had the same issue where the horn was becoming increasingly difficult to activate. I removed the front airbag (battery disconnected) to reveal the contacts. Indeed they had corrosion on them preventing the horn from sounding easily. I cleaned these which involved some scraping, and after replacing the airbag etc the horn works perfectly. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who is happy to work on it themselves, as it certainly saved me a few hundred pounds! Any questions about the process just let me know. Cheers all.
Tell us! Mine had it done under warranty but will be useful to know how you did it for later.

·
Registered
2015 F56Mini
1 Posts
Unfortunately my 2015 steering wheel had to be replaced due to the horn malfunction. It was just out of warranty. ☹

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm wondering if any others here have experienced this, known to BMW, problem that's happened to my late 2014 Cooper with the optional JCW steering wheel (off-topic: this wheel looks great, feels great and IMHO is a no brainer when speccing a new vehicle).
The horn stopped working and the official repair is to replace the steering wheel....I almost fell over backwards.
I tried to glean some info from a very helpful person on the phone and it appears that BMW make a significant contribution to the job, making a repair to the existing wheel no cheaper for the owner. Maybe BMW provide a new (improved?) wheel and no labour when a car's just out of warranty?
Apparently, due to a faulty design, the electrical contact points become contaminated with something and fail. The horn has probable only been blown a handful of times in its life, so my thoughts are that BMW should step up and stump up for 100% of the repair cost.
Can anyone suggest a permanent DIY fix and give any tips?
Or, how much did you have to pay?
Thanks.
My daughter bought. 2015 Cooper 4 months ago and had never used the horn until she needed to when a lorry decided to change lanes on the motorway. The horn didn’t work!! She had to take evasive action and was lucky to not be involved in what could have been a very nasty accident! We took the car in to a mini dealership to get the horn fixed but had a shock when the bill was £800 to replace the steering wheel!!! Surely this is a safety fault that bmw are aware of and should have recalled all cars fitted with the old wheel?? Any advice on couse of action to take would be appreciated.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts