Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the motorway "especially" my cooper 1.5 has stiff steering, it makes you have to constantly make small adjustments to keep it straight , i don't know if there is a problem with tracking; i have not checked anything so i am wondering if anyone has any input on this subject before i start to check anything.
Looked on the forum, with no mention of it so i assume its only my f56 mini.

·
Registered
844 Posts
At speed steering should not feel more stiff.

Is there any wobble in the steering wheel that you can feel at speed?

How many miles have you covered? If your front tyres are low on tread it may be tram lining that is causng the car to wander.

If your car is new(ish) ask your dealer if you can borrow a car with the same size wheels to see if it feels the same. If not, ask them to check it under warranty.

ps Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I took delivery of my 2015 Mini Cooper S in January, the steering felt much like you describe. It seems to have "broken in" over time and it no longer feels like I have to constantly adjust steering to keep the car in my lane. It's not a bad idea to ask your dealer, tho, just to rule out any problems.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
MMM do we have speed sensitive power steering on our minis? if so the steerign would firm up slightly as you go faster but i'm really not sure; i know it's electric!
Like wise i do notice a big difference in wheel tyre combo; my winter tyres are 16" and i seem to have to correct the car more when driving in a straight line compared to my 17"cosmos summer tyres. perhaps the small tyre is more prone to x winds or road grooves etc -dont know but its def different-grip is far superior in this horrid wet weather though-noticeably so!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car does run on 17" run flat tyres, so i am not sure if the stiff sidewalls may help to cause this effect, it has done 10000mls so i would have thought it would have loosened up by now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car does run on 17" run flat tyres, so i do not know if the stiffer sidewalls may help to cause this effect. Also it has done 10000mls so i would think it has loosened up by now.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have never heard before that steering needs to loosen up.

I think your 17" runflats are part (or the cause) of the problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Kenls right steering shouldn't loosen up. Gulp! Either the tyre choice doesn't suit you though I can hardly tell the difference swapping from 17's to 16's which are my winter tyres.steering on both ,non run flats is lovely. Th e hard tyre walls on run flats give a hard ride but not stiff steering. Check your tyre pressures then go to the dealer and get the tracking checked. That can have a huge effect. Lastly get them to check the power steering is all ok.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Steering is definitely speed sensitive so should certainly stiffen up as you go quicker.

Is the issue on all road types?

Ive had steering that felt really odd on some cars but only on particular roads.

This can be down to a couple of factors:

1. The camber of the road
2. Believe it or not, the way the tarmac has been rolled can also affect the steering feel and noise levels as it creates a harsh more abrasive surface for the tyres to roll against!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your help, if or when i get it sorted i will put my findings back in this forum.
I will check the camber , caster, front and rear toe.

So, one last question does anyone know the standard setting for camber, toe and castor?

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Main dealer for specs ;i'd suggest a laser alignment!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, but i prefere to do it myself, it is just as accurate, but it does take a lot of effort.

But i do not know what is adjustable on a mini f56 , meaning if it cannot be adjusted at least i should know if it is ok.

The problem is getting the factory spec for the suspension it can prove to be quite difficult.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Well done you. A friendly dealer will give you specs I'm sure. Like me do it yourself and you know it's been done properly!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts