Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock airbox modification.

Hi all,

I was wondering many owners put a cold air intake on their car or a ram. But none of these provide that much proven horsepower. And what most people want is a better sound from the cone filter. So i was thinking why do we not just modify the stock airbox?

For example if i would put 3 large holes on the bottom of my airfilter put a dust filter over the 3 holes. Or side...

Wouldn't that almost sound as the airvip box on the F56 cooper s they also just made a box with holes in it? Metal in this case.

I have a cooper s F56 myself.

As i only want more sound from the intake not hp i was thinking about this. But info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!! ???

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you really wanted to modify the box, and don't mind a little surgery... Cut the top of the box off at the tube where it meets the box before the MAF sensor. Throw a cone filter on the end of that. Viola, you now have a DIY CAI. Have done this in several vehicles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct but i do not want a cone filter on the stock system so i would rather keep everything stock and make a hole below the stock filter on the side of the airbox? Could the work also? Also i want this because there is so much heat under the bonnet i do not want the system to be fully open. Especially not on top. So i would rather make side holes and bottom.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Why would putting a hole in an airbox increase horse power on a turbo car. The amount of air/fuel passing through your engine is going to mainly be controlled by the amount of boost pressure the turbo generates, which is controlled by the waste gate. Adding holes to allow more air flow into the turbo won't increase the boost pressure the turbo generates, so will have little effect, unless your turbo is failing to reach the designed turbo boost pressure with the stock intake.

This is why turbo cars still generate good power at altitude, the turbo spins harder to generate the pressure desired, even when there is less air.

I think an intake change would be needed if you increase the boost pressure, until then the stock intake will be fine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the active sound. But i would not just cut holes. I would put foam filters over the holes. So i just get engine sound and blow off and not whistles.

But you are correct it could give bad sounds. So still thinking about it. But i think with foam filters it is ok?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the active sound. But i would not just cut holes. I would put foam filters over the holes. So i just get engine sound and blow off and not whistles.

But you are correct it could give bad sounds. So still thinking about it. But i think with foam filters it is ok?
That depends on where you live. With a stock filter I have to open my air box up a couple of times a year and clean it out. It gets full of dust, dirt and other junk. I personally wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That depends on where you live. With a stock filter I have to open my air box up a couple of times a year and clean it out. It gets full of dust, dirt and other junk. I personally wouldn't do it.

Oh that isn't an issue here. Almost no junk , dirt , sand on the road.
But no one would reccomend this? not even if a but a foam filter over the holes? offcourse i keep the stock filter to. So i have a pre filter(holes) and main filter.

·
Registered
478 Posts
As long as you don't block the standard air path with your extra filter. I once put some sock foam filters on trumpets inside a K&N filter in an attempt to reduce intake noise, the result was a very sick over fueling car. I suspect it will be difficult to put your filter in without effecting the original air flow, but I haven taken my car apart to check that statement. Also I just checked the price of the filter box and was shocked to find its £165 or $250 so lets hope it all goes ok.

My track cars making to much noise is always a major problem on track days, passing the static and drive by noise tests and not getting black flagged and sent home.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Stock airbox modification.

Hi all,

I was wondering many owners put a cold air intake on their car or a ram. But none of these provide that much proven horsepower. And what most people want is a better sound from the cone filter. So i was thinking why do we not just modify the stock airbox?

For example if i would put 3 large holes on the bottom of my airfilter put a dust filter over the 3 holes. Or side...

Wouldn't that almost sound as the airvip box on the F56 cooper s they also just made a box with holes in it? Metal in this case.

I have a cooper s F56 myself.

As i only want more sound from the intake not hp i was thinking about this. But info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!! ???
I would personally order another stock intake box before modifying your existing one, in case you stuff it up or the modifications became undesirable you can at least revert back to stock configuration.

You may want to consider just putting in a more flowing filter into the stock box if you want a little bit of extra noise. It would be far less risky of potentially damaging your engine. I have a k&n oil filter in my JCW but I'm now considering going back to the stock paper filter as I'm worried there will be more damage to my engine with oil-based over time.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You may want to consider just putting in a more flowing filter into the stock box if you want a little bit of extra noise. It would be far less risky of potentially damaging your engine. I have a k&n oil filter in my JCW but I'm now considering going back to the stock paper filter as I'm worried there will be more damage to my engine with oil-based over time.
Yeah, I don't like those oiled air filters either. I just finished installing a dry high flow air filter in my mcs stock airbox but haven't had a chance to take it out for a proper run yet. Not expecting miracles but I am curious to see what the higher airflow does, if anything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Correct but i do not want a cone filter on the stock system so i would rather keep everything stock and make a hole below the stock filter on the side of the airbox? Could the work also? Also i want this because there is so much heat under the bonnet i do not want the system to be fully open. Especially not on top. So i would rather make side holes and bottom.
If you want sound, and since you are willing to butcher the stock box my option is the best IMHO. The reason being is it will cost you the same or close to what you are wanting to do. You would leave the lower half of the box in tact, as well as your snorkel for the cooler exterior air. Look at my set up below. Instead of the metal intake I made, you would only have the OEM plastic you left over from cutting. Other than that what I am suggesting would yield same result. The sound is AMAZING.

You said you don't want a cone filter, why? It will yield you the result you want
upload pic

[/url]
image url[/IMG]

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you want sound, and since you are willing to butcher the stock box my option is the best IMHO. The reason being is it will cost you the same or close to what you are wanting to do. You would leave the lower half of the box in tact, as well as your snorkel for the cooler exterior air. Look at my set up below. Instead of the metal intake I made, you would only have the OEM plastic you left over from cutting. Other than that what I am suggesting would yield same result. The sound is AMAZING.

You said you don't want a cone filter, why? It will yield you the result you want
upload pic

[/url]
image url[/IMG]
Nice mod!

The OP however may still want to retain a "stock" look under the bonnet as to not raise suspicions to authorities :) Where I live it is illegal to have an intake which is not fully enclosed in a box.

Reactions: MCS535

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep that is correct i want to keep my stock filter box 1 because it is good with the cold air snorkel feed and 2 i want to keep engine looking stock but sounding different from stock.

Also intakes rarely will give you hp on a stock modern car. You wont feel it. So i just want sound. Not heat soaking from under the hood. Thats why i was thinking to put a hole on the side of the airbox away from the hot engine and filter and all stays stock.

And i would put a thin foam filter over that hole so nothing unwanted comes into the fillter box.

But offcourse every idea you all give is good. But not for what i want.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
I love k and n filters . My 160000 mile mr2 was still running perfectly when I sold it and using almost no oil with an oiled filter properly maintained for 100000 miles on. It. Sounded superb too .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also the intake looks good but takes a lot of heat to the engine. With the stock airbox modified it will be a lot less hot. And still give sound i guess. Ill see when i can modifie it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Make a 2 inch thick spacer to go between the top and bottom of the air box. You'll be able to fit a cone filter and keep out debris from the box itself. For more noise you can get some hollow rigid tubing space the airbox so it's open and add a cone filter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.