Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share some temperature data logs from two afternoon sessions at a track day at Oregon Raceway Park on July 18. Ambient temps were right around 91F. Totally stock engine 2016 F56 Cooper S manual. Logged engine oil temperature (EOT), engine coolant temperature (ECT), and intake air temperature (IAT). Vertical axis is degrees F, horizontal is time in seconds. Data logs start at the staging area and end as I pitted after a cool down lap. Decently impressed with factory temperature management at stock power, EOT only ever peaked at just above 230, ECT didn't seem too stressed, and IAT stable under 120F unless I had to slow down. Could be better with bigger IC and oil cooler of course. I switched to 0W-40 oil before the track day, I'd consider 0w-20 for fuel economy only. Power felt remarkably stable throughout the whole day. Session 3 was after a long lunch break, session 4 already warmed up.. Brakes were done after 3 hot laps, about 10mins, Porterfield pads and fluid was fresh RBF600. Overall I'd say nothing major to worry about engine temp wise at stock power doing mild track days, at least at low 90s ambient or lower. Brakes were the limiting factor. Best lap time was 2:10.8.
Session 3.PNG
Session 4.PNG

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oil and coolant temps aren't bad at all, especially with a relatively high ambient air temp. Actually, if I'm not mistaken 230F in the oil sump is basically considered optimal. Curious, which oil were you running? I haven't found a 0w-40 oil that meets BMW's/MINI's specs for the 3rd-gen cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts