Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share some temperature data logs from two afternoon sessions at a track day at Oregon Raceway Park on July 18. Ambient temps were right around 91F. Totally stock engine 2016 F56 Cooper S manual. Logged engine oil temperature (EOT), engine coolant temperature (ECT), and intake air temperature (IAT). Vertical axis is degrees F, horizontal is time in seconds. Data logs start at the staging area and end as I pitted after a cool down lap. Decently impressed with factory temperature management at stock power, EOT only ever peaked at just above 230, ECT didn't seem too stressed, and IAT stable under 120F unless I had to slow down. Could be better with bigger IC and oil cooler of course. I switched to 0W-40 oil before the track day, I'd consider 0w-20 for fuel economy only. Power felt remarkably stable throughout the whole day. Session 3 was after a long lunch break, session 4 already warmed up.. Brakes were done after 3 hot laps, about 10mins, Porterfield pads and fluid was fresh RBF600. Overall I'd say nothing major to worry about engine temp wise at stock power doing mild track days, at least at low 90s ambient or lower. Brakes were the limiting factor. Best lap time was 2:10.8.
Text Line Plot Slope Font
Text Blue White Line Green

·
Registered
252 Posts
Oil and coolant temps aren't bad at all, especially with a relatively high ambient air temp. Actually, if I'm not mistaken 230F in the oil sump is basically considered optimal. Curious, which oil were you running? I haven't found a 0w-40 oil that meets BMW's/MINI's specs for the 3rd-gen cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
According to Castrol’s website, that oil doesn’t meet the BMW/MINI requirements 🤷🏻‍♂️
Without turning this into a 20-page bobistheoilguy thread, oil certifications are a patchwork of standards, updates, revisions, manufacturers, countries, and a whole bunch of chemistry. I believe the only reason some Castrol Edge oils do not "meet" BMW/MINI is the recent lack of LL01 (or similar, I think LL04 exists) certification. LL is long-life and is how BMW justifies up to 15k oil change intervals (many recommend against this regardless). Anecdotally the LL standards are quite old and new formulations are dropping it in favor of other standards. Not a bad thing, just different. This is partly why the list of B-series engine BMW/MINI approved oils is a pretty short these days. If you want to follow the warranty to the letter and your car is much newer (mine is very close to being off warranty now), then unfortunately it does not meet, but check out the details on the other certifications for Edge, like A3/B4, Porsche A40 and MB 229.3, and you will rest assured, at least quality-wise. For my use case I wanted performance under high temps and loads, not to stretch my intervals to 15k, so I looked for a high quality 0w-40 and wasn't worried about the LL cert, and less worried about warranty as it's almost over for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just curious how did you log this information?
Believe it or not the best solution I found is made by a diesel performance company called Banks Power, the iDash DataMonster. They make a standard 52mm gauge device with a screen that can show you anything that comes via the OBD on a CAN bus system. It comes with an SD card for datalogging too. There's nothing diesel specific about it, it's universal for anything CAN bus and works great. Not cheap, but easily the best solution I found for real-time monitoring vitals and logging. I used the Cravenspeed FlexPod Gauge Mount (52mm) to mount it right beside the Mini gauge cluster. I'm selling the gauge mount half off if anyone wants it, sold the F56 a while back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts