Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Haynes (and MINI I suspect) insist that many nuts and bits are replaced when refitting front struts. Like the strut to hub carrier pinch bolt, the 3 top mount bolts, and the drop link and track rod end nuts. That's a lot of hardware to throw away!

Where do you get them, and/or do you reuse them anyway and not bother replacing?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It’s about the materials inherent elasticity, as the bolts are tightened to the required torque they stretch. I don’t pretend to understand the metallurgy but if its good practice, I would do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe that they are called torque to yield fasteners. I would replace them if possible, you might be able to go to a local hardware store and find replacements. That’s what I would do when I needed a new bolt for my Harley, may even be able to get stainless hardware!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Unless damaged I have never replaced strut mounting bolts and nuts. The only hardware I replace are head, rod, and mains when rebuilding an engine. MINI may have other recommendations but I have never heard any. You could ask your local dealer parts department if it’s necessary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the manufacturer recommends replacing certain bolts, particularly those with high tightening torque, I've always replaced them. While one might luck out re-using with no issues, I prefer to know that the stretch bolts are torqued/stretched as intended. Take the old ones to metal recycling, or stash them for an emergency, which will likely never occur, and you'll find them in 20 years when you clean out the garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts